New Runner

Options
Okay, I've never been a runner....In high school I would avoid running like nobody's business. However, I've been thinking about trying it out. I can't afford a gym membership and do any workouts from home. I know running is a good way to burn calories and I've also heard that it can be therapeutic...But, to be honest, I'm scared! lol

Anybody have any tips for me?

Replies

• mander1621
    Options
    Bump
  • stuey39
    stuey39 Posts: 159
    Options
    first up is definately proper running shoes to suit you, the list is long and varied so visit a good running shop and they will be happy to help.

Then just start out slowly and build up, maybe walk/run etc.

There are loads of running threads on here all stacked with great advice check them out.

Good luck and enjoy
  • MissJenova
    Options
    Start off slow. When I first started running, I would go to a track and run one lap then walk 1/2 lap and continue like this until I had run a mile.
    The best advice would be to do anything BUT walk. If you need to slow down go for it, just keep moving!! Focus on breathing in through your nose and think positive.

I hated running with a passion. Now I love it. You'll get there too! :happy:
  • MissJenova
    Options
    first up is definately proper running shoes to suit you, the list is long and varied so visit a good running shop and they will be happy to help.

There are loads of running threads on here all stacked with great advice check them out.

Good luck and enjoy

This! Splurge on good shoes, it's worth it.
    Also take small sips of water if needed. Don't gulp it.
    I'll add more tips if I think of them!
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi! Starting running can really scare people, I know it did me. We tend to strap on a pair of shoes and try to run a few miles straight, want to DIE, then declare "I HATE running!". Running really needs to be a progression. Try a program like Couch to 5k.

I hated running at first. I spent the first mile in a mental war with myself "I hate this, just walk. This SUCKS! Why do people do THIS!!!" After I started picking up the distance and getting stronger I found out...I LOVE RUNNING!!! It is the closest to meditation I have ever come. I don't even listen to music on most runs.

That being said, yesterday on my 5 mile run I had to convince myself to keep running the first 2 miles. Somedays I'm just not feeling it, but when it is over I'm so glad I ran.

Good Luck! I would also check out runners world online. They have great articles for newbies!
  • stuey39
    stuey39 Posts: 159
    Options
    Oh and DO NOT do as I did when I first started. Don't be ashamed if you see others running at a good pace and your not, these people have probably been running forever. Trust me you WILL get injured!!!!
  • KimP2012
    KimP2012 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend participating in a Team In Training event! You'll have training, the encouragement and support of teammates and you'll be helping yourself as well as others. It was the experience of a lifetime for me! Check it out!
    http://www.teamintraining.org/ma/
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Good luck and enjoy

THIS!!!!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Start by walking, the walk/jog.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K- a great program that slowly increases your running intervals so at the end of 9 weeks you are running for 30 minutes straight. It's wonderful!
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Try couch to 5k program. There's a free app for it if you have an Android or iPhone. It's a good way to ease into running and build up the strength and endurance you need without going too fast and possibly injuring yourself. You can search the message boards here too. There are lots of posts about it.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am with a previous poster, start slow and the C25K program is fantastic. I used a free podcast from CoolRunning, but there are all sort of things available including great free apps. It starts you off super slow ( like 30 seconds of running) and gets you going gradually over 9 weeks.I was never a runner before C25K, but now I have also completed the Bridge to 10 K (B210K) and am training for my first half marathon. I have discovered that I LOVE running, and can't wait for my next run every day, good luck!
  • daisydieter
    Options
    I was same way and now regularly running.

I started out with seeing how long it took me to walk/jog 2 miles. (I use mapmyrun.com to map out a route in my 'hood.) Then my goal was to get that done in 30 minutes (the interval thing of walk/jog). Then, adding .25 mile increments, worked my way up to a 3 mile route.

Next goal was to be able to actually jog the whole thing.

Goal after that was to gradually pick up the speed (jogging/running) so that I was now finishing in 30 minutes (10 minute miles). Which I eventually met and started enjoying doing 5k races. (Need goal).

I'm pretty much doing the same thing again, the goal to run 3 miles in a row in 30 minutes but in the context of a 5 mile run as I've got a goal to run an 8k race towards in of March. Want to finish it in an hour.

Big thing, don't run every day (alternate days.... off days you can go for a nice long walk for calorie burn)... STRETCH... and good shoes. They don't need to some crazy expensive ones but the kind that will ensure you don't injure yourself.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps you out a bit......

I found an application for iTouch/iPhone/iPod on iTunes and it is called Ease into 5K by bluefin software which is very good but not free, maybe around $2.99 This app has good ratings and lets you use your music playlists from your iPod in it.

I also found a podcast on iTunes called NHS Couch to 5K which is "free" and like that one too but it doesn't let you use your own music and it has its own music built in......
  • yowla
    yowla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You really need to start off slow. I started running last year for the first time at the age of 38. I love it. I ran 2 races, one 5k one 10k and I am going to kill myself to do a 25k this May. I hated running. It is nice to be out on the open road but I do know that it is hard. You need to have the mind set. My whole family was going to do the 5k last year and I ran about a block and said count me out. Then one day I told myself I had to do it and I did. Trained for 2 weeks. Ran it in 36 mins. Then last summer I gained 14lbs after my wedding and I just couldn't run with the extra weight on. So I started to diet and I have lost almost all of it and started running again. Last week I almost ran 5 miles w/o the training for it. You can do this. It is hard but keep at it. You can lose a lot of weight just by running one mile (one mile can burn about 100 calories for a 150lb person) Once you hit over 30 mins of running you will start to get the runners high. It is awesome and you feel so good afterwards. Sign up for a run and make yourself train for it. I know you can do this. :)
  • mander1621
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! All these tips sound great! :D I'm definitely going to check out couch to 5k, too. It sounds like just the thing to ease me in.
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try a run/walk plan. I like Jeff Galloway's. Running is very therapeutic. Good Luck.