How does your job impact your weightloss/fitness goals?

Options
During the day I work in a shop as the office/store manager. When I'm not there, I'm spending my off time writing recipes and trying to open my own catering company. I chose culinary school over traditional college and have never looked back. There are times I think my career choice has affected my weight. When I'm working in a kitchen I am constantly tasting food. I have also gone entire shifts without taking a break and forgetting to eat anything....and I know that can't be healthy.

I suppose I'm just curious as to whether or not anyone else has to take their job, or career, into account when transitioning into a healthier lifestyle?

Does anyone have any tips on this little balancing act?

3930497.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I sit on my butt in front of a computer 8-9 hours a day, that's not good for me either... I just try to set up a ton of reminders for the things that I may forget... like to eat or take a break (and go for a walk).
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I work at Curves for Women, so that works out nicely because I can hop on the machines and work out whenever I get free time, and I get to attend Zumba classes for free four days each week :)
    Occasionally though, I work 8 hour shifts without a break, so it's hard for me sometimes to eat regularly enough on those days.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I'm incredibly lucky with my company, I can pretty much make my own schedule (within reason).

I do work at a desk, but I'm able to:
    - take walks to nearby parks during lunch
    - store my own lunches in the break room
    - leave in the middle of the day to take a Pilates class for an hour
    - have a balance ball chair at my desk instead of a traditional one (great for the core)
    - water cooler is available for my consumption

A lot of my coworkers are pretty active / health / fitness minded, so I feel pretty supported in my choices as well. Overall I'm quite lucky I think.
  • medicrenee
    medicrenee Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that our jobs impact, though I'm not sure of all the effects on our body systems. Mine for example... I'm a fulltime Paramedic, Volenteer Fire Fighter . I am very busy all day long and my job is very physical. I would like to use a HRM just to see how many actual cals I burn in one day. However, I eat a 1200 a day diet. last week was a bad week for me in that I havent ate healthy, but stayed at my cal limit. I havent worked out this week because I have been resting my knee... LOL I gained two pounds already ... craziness. I feel like each person is different.. Each body is different.. And all our bodies need a little something different to loose or gain. LOL I havent figured mine out yet.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It does not. Best hours ever. 8:30-4:30 with an hour lunch (mandatory).

I get home with enough time to run errands, start dinner, and hit the gym.

When I travel for work (pretty often during the spring and fall) I schedule in workouts.

The only negative is the free food at work. Someone once told me: "free food at work is not really free." SO TRUE!

My hour at the gym is MY TIME. With that hour I eat better and sleep better and perform better on the job.
  • CapsFan17
    Options
    I also sit behind a desk 8 hours a day. I got a pedometer to see how much I was actually walking and some days I wasn't even getting to 2,000 steps. That was definately an eye opener. I need to more more during the day or all the diet changes in the world won't help me be healthy.
  • GreenEyedGrl86
    Options
    I'm glued to a computer in a cubicle all day, not so good fitness wise. But the good news is I work out in the middle of nowhere so there is no leaving to grab fast food for lunch, etc. so if I don't bring it with me, I don't eat it. On the downside a lot of the guys wives are EXCELLENT bakers and bring in cakes, cookies, doughnuts, etc at least once a week it seems. I've been pretty good and resisting the urge so far. And we have a gym here and I have coworkers that are trying to get healthy too so I kinda have some support. It must be tough to work around food all the time...I'm sure I would be the size of a blimp if I worked with food. I guess I didn't really add any help here, sorry! lol
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm a cook at a daycare. I'm constantly moving. If I'm not in the kitchen, I'm in playing with the babies. They also have to have state approved menu's that give all components. We're not allowed to eat food from the daycare but I usually take some yogurt or cheese sticks. It does give me ideas on what to feed my family though.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    i'm a teacher and a coach. for the last couple months (basketball season) i've been stuck at work from 7:30 am to about 6 pm, and until about 10 pm on days we have games. by the end of the day i'm exhausted, so i would have to wake up at 3:15 (which didn't happen often) to get my workout in, otherwise it never got done. needless to say i haven't been as active as i would have likes. buuuuut...our last game was last night, so i'm gonna be a workout machine from now on!
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I work M-F day as a researcher in an office.. so basically i sit at the computer for 8 hours a day. then, 3 nights a week i bartend so i am on my feet the whole time. when we are busy, sometime i go the whole night without eating anything. it def. affects my diet but being on my feet and moving all over at least get me some exercise in!
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    i have 2 jobs, - one is an office job where i sit 8-4 doing near enough nothing..

and my 2nd job is at weekend working in a busy restaurant/pub where im on my feet 6-10 hour shifts running food, pouring pints, carrying stuff..... so needless to say thats a work out in its self :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How does sitting on my *kitten* for 8-9 hours a day, 5 days a week, affect my weight loss/ fitness goals? A lot. In fact, it is the without a doubt the biggest obstacle.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I'm incredibly lucky with my company, I can pretty much make my own schedule (within reason).

I do work at a desk, but I'm able to:
    - take walks to nearby parks during lunch
    - store my own lunches in the break room
    - leave in the middle of the day to take a Pilates class for an hour
    - have a balance ball chair at my desk instead of a traditional one (great for the core)
    - water cooler is available for my consumption

A lot of my coworkers are pretty active / health / fitness minded, so I feel pretty supported in my choices as well. Overall I'm quite lucky I think.

Pretty much this, except the pilates class part. I work graveyard hours on a Navy base 11pm-7am. Total of 3-4 people in my entire work building so I will go outside and take a 30-45 mins fitness break at 2-3am. Sometimes I just come to work in my workout clothes and do my thing. It's rarely busy and I work weekends so I take advantage.
  • bestdaysahead
    bestdaysahead Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I sit behind a desk all day. Only person in the office and a lot of people depend on my to help them get VA benefits. I try to fit in a walk at lunch, but lucky if I get a whole hour most days. Ride my bike in the mornings though. Play wii with the kids after work. Ride my mountain bike on the weekends and do yard work too.
    But yes, my job most definately impacts my weight. I have gained over 40 pounds since I started four years ago. Ready to fight back now!
  • jenswwjourney
    Options
    work is a detriment to my goals. ER RN and so that means irregular eating, quick eating, eating while standing, only fast things that can be prepared to eat. sometimes no eating.
  • karenmariakingq
    Options
    my case is just like this, i make cupcakes, and catering, and i have sugar issues, and i'm kind of depressing, so i eat a lot. i'm scared too because i'm just in my 3rd week and i'm affraid i can't make it. now i'm trying to do it on my own, everyday y talk to myself, "don't do it again, don't quit" "you're going to die young" the other thing i've been doing is saving, i have some savings to buy a lot of clothing when i loose it all. i have it on my mind, las week was a big saling in my favorite shop, i did buy anithing. i'm still afraid, but i'm reading osho about the fear, is really helpful. work with yourself, talk to yourself. and punish yourself if you f%&&/k up. ohhhh and when i'm tasting i do it with a tea spoon. i have to taste but is not too much just do it 2 times in the middle of the cooking and at the end. sorry if something is wrong with the writing english is not my first language.
  • chefanie85
    Options
    I think my biggest obstacle at my day job is that I am the only person here. All. Day. Long. Which basically means I get really bored sometimes, and other times I'm running around like a mad woman trying to get everything done. lol Also, I can't really leave for lunch, so unless I bring my lunch I'm limited to delivery....and since I haven't been able to control my urge to eat an entire pizza or a stupid amount of Chinese food....I'm sorta at the mercy of whatever groceries I have in the house. And with four adults, a toddler, and an infant...there are a lot of really bad snacks at my house. :/

I think my big eye opener, as far as my career in food...was a preview for a show called "Fat Chef."...think The Biggest Loser for Chefs. There's this little saying "never trust a skinny cook," and it terrifies me. I want to be known for how great my food is....but I also want to be able to show people that they can have great food that is good for you.

I've been seriously considering going back to school and becoming a nutritionist as well as a chef. :) I think it would be kinda cool to have all that knowledge so I could help people.
  • daffy_girl
    Options
    it incorporates a lot at my job because I am a receptionist for a health building and i am literally 10 feet away from our fitness center. When i started working here, I never had the motivation. I had a heart problem scare so that made me realize there was no excuse for not to get my butt in there. I started my journey April 1, 2011 and have lost 53 lbs. It has been a struggle but I'm still going strong.
  • magnum6
    Options
    I have to travel internationally quite a bit. When I'm at home and can control the environment, I have no problems. When I am on the road, living in hotels in developing countries that may or may not have exercise facilities, eating in restaurants, late night drinks with business partners - all of that adds up to a tough environment. That's exactly what got me to where I am today.

Trying to combat that now with MFP as a tool. So far so good.
  • EmergencyGraphics
    EmergencyGraphics Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I work multiple jobs and long hours; it totally effects my weight loss and fitness. Planning ahead, having healthy snacks and preparing meals ahead of time helps but when I get home from the long hours I grab whatever is on hand. If I've had time to stock healthy choices that its alright but after a few days of long shifts I'll start making bad choices. I'll get to a point where i'm exhausted and ill just want to eat comfort food and sleep. A salad just doesn't cut it.

I haven't rfound a successful way to balance it. Currently I'm working on trying to be able to plan ahead. I need to start looking into finding healthy comfort foods that I can make on my day off and store. Although I don't really have many days off.