Sodium

Options
Are the MFP levels for sodium conservative? I started tracking my sodium and I am seeing that I am doubling the MFP levels given to me. My one sandwich today alone is almost have my sodium for the day.

Replies

• gregersons
    gregersons Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher, and had one of the "foods" teachers who teaches a food and nutrition class look over my food diary. She noticed that I was going a bit over on my sodium. She said that the 2500 level is high for most, but if it is balanced with enough water/liquids it will be fine. If you are doubling it I would say that that might come in a as a problem.
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    2500 is at the high end....5K is really high. Guessing you are eating a ton of processed foods/sandwiches. That's usually what is the killer for sodium
  • rkennedy39
    rkennedy39 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My Nutritionist has me on the DASH Diet(Dietary Approach to Hypertension) I am limited to 1500 mg of sodium per day. It does not give me much room for processed foods. I eat a lot of frutis and veggie. I cool my foods and use herbs and Ms. Dash seasonings. But I find the levels on MFP to be a high amount.

9760926.png
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    They are not conservative by medical standards.

ETA: But standards are "general" and there may be reasons why you could need more sodium. There could also be reasons that could need less. The best way to determine what you need is to discuss your diet, lifestyle and exercise routine with your personal physician.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Adults need approximately 2300 mg of sodium per day (equal to 1 teaspoon) or less if you are over 50 and/or have other medical issues.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Adults need approximately 2300 mg of sodium per day (equal to 1 teaspoon) or less if you are over 50 and/or have other medical issues.

That should read "adults, in general, need no more than 2300 mg...".
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    2500 is on the high end. I am trying to limit to 2000.
  • joanie7791
    Options
    I went way over my sodium intake today, does that mean I have to drink more water?
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Sodium: How much do you need?

The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend limiting sodium to less than 2,300 mg a day — or 1,500 mg if you're age 51 or older, or if you are black, or if you have high blood pressure, diabetes or chronic kidney disease.

Keep in mind that these are upper limits, and less is usually best, especially if you're sensitive to the effects of sodium. If you aren't sure how much sodium your diet should include, talk to your doctor.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284

This article also has some good information about ways to reduce your sodium intake.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I'm 2000mg or more per day for sodium I gain around 3lbs of water weight. So personally I try and keep it really down.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I am generally able to keep my sodium between 1500-2100mg a day. (some days are a little higher, some a little lower) Every now and again, I'll spike to over 3000mg of sodium if we go out to eat or something.

I recently started tracking sodium because I prepare meals for someone who has been told to watch his sodium levels. It's really not as impossible as it sounds. You just have to read labels and plan some homemade (rather than processed/store-bought) foods into your routine.