first case of shin splints. are there ways to a speedy recov

Options
2»

Replies

• SuperKatie
    SuperKatie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts, and I'm not sure if this reply is already in there, but I heard once that you should put your legs out, while sitting in a chair, and write the alphabet with your toes, in the air. It stretches them and makes them feel so good. I've done this when my shins were sore and they felt better. I've given this advice to others and they have said it worked. Good luck.

You can also freeze dixie cups with water and peels off the cup as it melts to rub on your shins. They used to do this in my trainers office in college.
  • Jamie320
    Options
    I'd stick with what PP said about alternating ice and heat. I used to get them at the beginning of every bball/cross country season when I was in high school. I discovered that the main was much less intense when I would run backwards. Strange, but might be something to try when you want to take a little break, but still try to be a little active.
  • workout_momma
    Options
    OH my goodness! Look into your shoes! I was fitted for and have worn Asics for all of my races but I had recently started to run again and my shins were on fire! Even walking longer distances hurt them. I over pronate and so I have always bought shoes to correct that. I decided to try a different designed shoe (Reebok Realflex) and I was able to put them on and run three miles straight. Now I did have shin pain for a few days after that workout, but not nearly as bad. I was just amazed that I could run the whole time. So then I took it one step further and got some CEP Compression Running socks and I just tried them today and they are the BOMB! My shins were a bit sore for the first 10 mins running and then it went away and I ran five miles!!! Tonight I feel great, I really think that I will wake up with no pain tomorrow. Those socks ROCK!
  • VinaAnderson
    Options
    Definitely google stretching and strengthening exercises for shin splint relief. Strengthening the muscles will help them from re-occuring. One that works well is to wrap a resistance band around your foot, pull back on the handles so you have a good amount of tension then flex and point your foot. Ice and rest when they really feel bad so you don't risk a stress fracture. Good luck.
  • jtcleveland
    Options
    also definitely stretch your calves. sometimes shin splints come from tight calves because then the shin muscles have to work extra hard
  • Terasome
    Terasome Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I agree about getting your shoes checked.

I was professionally fitted for asics duomax shoes 6 months ago, even to the point of having an insole with an arch put into my shoes, because I kept rolling my ankles and injuring myself. I have had issues constantly. Fast forward to 3 days ago I decided to go to a different shop and was again fitted. It turns out the shoes I was wearing were not really helping me but making things worse as they were pushing my ankles outwards but the bottom of my shoe was holding my foot in place hence causing me constant pain and stress when walking etc. These were stability shoes.

Apparently I needed neutral shoes. They are so much more comfortable and when i walked yesterday i didnt experience any of the pain I have suffered with recently. I bought New Balance shoes for the record.

I went back to the previous store to see what they would say and the gentleman serving me said the exact same thing. Funny that he was the original person who fitted the shoes to me. :(

I bought re align insoles for the cushioning and they are made by a podiatrist.