Running in downtown Chicago

Options
I'm going to be in chicago for the long weekend and I want to be able to run outside. I have no clue where to go. I will be staying at the Hard Rock on michigan Ave. I need a safe place to run in the early morning. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Last time I was in Chicago, a woman walking by said, "Oh no, these white people 'bout to get snatched up!!"
    WELL, that was scary! That was kind of mid-town, but the north side is good!
  • brett1117
    Options
    along the lake front..paved paths a lot of people
  • nrjohnso
    Options
    Last time I was in Chicago, a woman walking by said, "Oh no, these white people 'bout to get snatched up!!"
    WELL, that was scary! That was kind of mid-town, but the north side is good!

oh lord! hahahahaha
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Last time I stayed the night downtown, I had a nice run in the "early" morning. Early to me that Sunday morning meant around 8:00. I can't remember exactly which hotel I stayed at, but it was about 2 miles from the John Hancock building. I do know the hotel was on Michigan Ave. south of the JHB. I ran down and back and never felt threatened or worried. Actually, it was a great run and I quite enjoyed myself.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I was in Chicago a few months ago and if you go running along the lake, it's a good stretch and quite popular with runners!
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    I was in Chicago for work trip and ran part of the Lakefront Path (or is it called Lakeshore??) and also ran around Millennium Park another day. Lakefront was really nice but kind of busy in the evening when I ran...I was told by locals that its less hectic, nicer, and more serine if you go to the north or south ends of the path. It wasn't scary at all, but it was a nice weather day and lots of people out
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    Definitely lakefront/millennium park/grant park area. I think there is a hard rock just north of there. You can pretty much run all the way down to the museum campus which is pretty cool.
  • crdav13
    crdav13 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    From Chicago and my suggestion would be to head east a couple blocks up to the lake and run on the path south. It's a little less congested and can run up to Soldier Field/Field Museum. If you head north it tends to get a little more crowded but you will run past Navy Pier and the beaches which is also pretty.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    along the lake front..paved paths a lot of people

I agree with this!!! We have some great paths along the lake front and the beach. Also if you are going early early in the morning Michigan Ave isnt so horrible.