Shin Splints

Options
I have started to get shin splints really bad. I walk daily, have increased my walk distance as I am able too. Started 30DS last week, but had shin splints prior to that.

Can anyone recommend a way to avoid them and to help heal! I'm doing so good, I dont want this to put a damper on my workouts!!!

Replies

• kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    Get some good quality shoes that fit the shape of your feet, your arches, etc. Are you exercising on hard surfaces? Try walking on grass.

There are some good stretches for shin splints too. Stand close to a wall, facing it, and step against the wall with the ball of your feet, lean forward, and feel the stretch in your shin and calf area.

I was having leg bone pain, and it turned out I had gluten intolerance. When I cut out gluten, my pain went away.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep off the hard surfaces. If you can, run on grass, dirttrack or sand or any softer surface, because it gives and isn't so harsh on your legs.
  • jdaddy615
    Options
    Get some good quality shoes that fit the shape of your feet, your arches, etc. Are you exercising on hard surfaces?

This.

Proper shoes are key to preventing shin splints. Go to a running store and get the free foot test, and fitted for shoes...it will make a world of difference!
  • Jessi40
    Jessi40 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I have brooks and I have a podiatrist that has made me some custom inserts. I can walk fine outside; but the treadmill... it's hard for me to get even 10 minutes in... thanks for posting this topic.
  • Miss♥Ivi
    Options
    Yes to well fitting shoes!! I've had shin splints since I use to play softball and forget my other sneakers. I'd have to walk home in my cleats. HUGE mistake! Lol

I don't run on concrete. Well as of now, I don't run period BUT when I use to, I never did on concrete. Since I live in Florida, running at the beach is an option. To me, it's a hell of a work out! And definitely always stretch!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    There are numerous causes of shin splints, and ill-fitting shoes is only one possibility. Here's a thread I put together. Read all of the pages, as others contributed to the various solutions.

Help with your shin splints - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/322021-help-with-your-shin-splints
  • WolffRN
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input!! I did go to a running store but it has been 2 years since I went, and I've continued to buy the same shoes over and over. Maybe its time to go back and get tested again!

I am only on hard surfaces, will try going to the park or run on softer surface.

Will also check out the thread!

Thanks everyone!! Happy exercising!!
  • Try a podiatrist as well, I have flat feet, and it was a factor as well as my shoes in my shin splints!
  • WolffRN
    Options
    Well, I iced my shins, took motrin and tylenol, ran on grass today-so MUCH better!! AND installed form flooring in our "gym" at home! No more wood floor pounding! SOOO MUCH better!! Going to Running store this afternoon! I have really high arches, so we will see if they switch up my shoes!

Thank you everyone!!