Does anyone ever backslide horribly?!?!?

Options
I have had a hectic outside of the norm week. I thought that will careful planning I could make it through but nothing went the way I planned it. (famous last words). I have been out for fast food, skipped workouts and not gotten enough water or sleep. In short, for the last week, I have treated my body the way I used to treat it before I started my journey toward fitness. Why is it so easy to slip back into old habits when you have been doing so well? I'm afraid to get on the scale because I may have gained all 32 pounds back. Please tell me that this happens to other people and that I'm not some loser with no self control!!

Replies

• Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I find if you dont' get right back on the scale it will just get worse!! I'm betting you haven't gain as much back as you think you have, face the fear and get on there or else you'll just keep gaining
  • frankborelli
    frankborelli Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I was told by a very wise man (who lost fifty pounds over the course of two years and now, in his late 60s is a competitive body builder) that EVERYONE has ups and downs.

I have some great weeks where I exercise every day, sometimes doubling up, and eat my plan and do GREAT. Other weeks I feel hungry all the time, over eat my plan, don't exercise as much.

OVER ALL I've seen the decline from (my starting) 215 to 192. Almost every day, if I weigh every day, I fluctuate between 192 and 195, but I can track the tendency down...

Don't let a little backslide defeat you. This isn't a sprint. It's a marathon...
  • beyondchowhound
    beyondchowhound Posts: 2,102 Member
    Options
    I haven't even been logging in lately but just playing silly MFP games (that I love by the way) How about we start Monday and this time we're not kidding around!!! I really want to lose 10 more pounds in the next few months but if I keep this up, I can't see it happening. I think I am self sabotaging and I am not sure what thats all about. Thanks for being honest. So yes...you are not alone.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,944 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Nobody's perfect.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If you still want to lose weight, get up right now and do something about it
    drink some water, take a brisk walk, plan your next several meals, get rid of any "bad" food you still have around.

You can change directions any time you want to.

You don't ever have to go back to the old ways if you don't want to.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    NO! No one every backslides ever! Honestly! What an idea! :laugh:
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I've been on the backslide for over a month so yeahhhh! You are definetely (sp?) not the only one! I've just gotten back on track and I am feeling really good about it!:flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I have had a hectic outside of the norm week. I thought that will careful planning I could make it through but nothing went the way I planned it. (famous last words). I have been out for fast food, skipped workouts and not gotten enough water or sleep. In short, for the last week, I have treated my body the way I used to treat it before I started my journey toward fitness. Why is it so easy to slip back into old habits when you have been doing so well? I'm afraid to get on the scale because I may have gained all 32 pounds back. Please tell me that this happens to other people and that I'm not some loser with no self control!!

You are DEFINITELY NOT the only one who's like that! :noway:
    I don't think I've ever had a week of it, but, I've definitely had several days in a row! The best part about MFP is that we're AWARE NOW of what will happen, and we also know how to prevent it from continuing! I say, weigh yourself, and get right back on track! You can do it! :smile:
  • terri0027
    terri0027 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am sitting here adding data into my logs. Over the past 5 weeks I've had to travel extensively for work. Because of the late working hours and just being tired, l stopped logging everything. In addition to that, I've had to eat almost every meal out. Well, I've gained 8 pounds in 5 weeks. It was hard to get to see that I'd almost reached goal weight and now I feel like I'm starting all over. It makes me want to cry.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It's highly unlikely that you gained 32 lbs in one week! In fact, it's darn near impossible to gain THAT much weight in only 7 days! Try changing up your workouts, keep it fresh and upbeat. This way you won't get bored! Don't beat yourself up about "backsliding". You are only human, and human beings by nature are lazy!!! Just get back up and keep going!!!
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Options
    If you don't count that time when I ate 5000 calories within an hour by just consuming peanuts and Reese's peanut butter cups....I would say, I never backslide!!!!!! Oh, wait, that was that other time with the ice-cream bowl...Do we have to log Thanksgiving or holidays are exempt? And is thinking really hard an excersise?? It sure exhaust me a lot.
    Nah....I think I never backslide, now that I thought about it hard. :bigsmile:
  • edianna
    edianna Posts: 15
    Options
    It has happened to me. Don't give up. Just start fresh!! There is no way you gained it all back in one week. Besides if you were gonna give up you wouldn"t be on hear now. Don't beat yourself up!! We are human ya know. Just say okay had a bad week now back to the grind.

Hang in there!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    OF COURSE! i went over my calories by like 1000 yesterday.

ooooooooopsies.

next week will be better because you'll make sure it is :flowerforyou:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Yuppers! It happens to all of us. New habits are hard to form and those old ones are lurking close by to step in and take over at a moments notice!! Beating yourself up does not help - I tried that last week :laugh: Realize that you didn't stay on your plan. Figure out what exactly knocked you off your path and hop right back on that path and keep on truckin' down it.

We all get derailed sometimes. The key is to not stay derailed, but to keep on trying, keep focused on the goal and get going again. :flowerforyou:

If you lack motivation - re-evaluate your goals and why you want to acheive them. BTW - you can get back on the scale. There is no way you could have regained 32 lbs in 1 week!! And most of the gain you will see will be water weight and will come off pretty quickly if you jump back on track!
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    Options
    Thanks for all your supportive comments. It really helps to have people who understand what you are going through!! I peeked at the scale and it says that I have gained seven pounds. I agree that most of it is probably water and will disappear on it's own. I really only had about 4 days of badness. I was really nervous and stressed this week and I think that boosted my cravings for bad foods. I have a hard time coping with changes in my normal routine. I really just have to do better. Thanks guys!!:flowerforyou: :smile: :love:
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    YES! I am currently clawing my way out of the mud hole I put myself in this last week! The scale said I had gained 6 pounds my first day "back" and after just one day of eating better and flushing it all out with water, I was down 3 pounds. I'm curious to see what the scale says in another day or two, then I'll know how much weight I TRULY gained. In the meantime, I'm taking the 3 pound hit and trying to get back into my exercise and healthy eating groove. We can do it! :bigsmile:
  • beyondchowhound
    beyondchowhound Posts: 2,102 Member
    Options
    Just to let you know that all these posts were great to read and gave me the motivation that I needed and I am back to logging in my food this morning. I am giving away that big container of Lasagna I made last night. I am back on track. Thanks for asking this question. Sometimes you just need a kick in the pants. Thats what this thread was for me. Thanks!!
  • Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this it is so nice to know I am not the only one! That is what I love about this website!
    Good for you getting back on the bandwagon I am trying but not being very successful