Bloodwork

Options
Pamela777
Pamela777 Posts: 66 Member
I have been "dieting" since the first Friday of March. I walk 6 days a week - between 2.5-3 miles a day. I have lost 20 pounds so far. I just got my bloodwork back and wow! In 4 months my total cholesterol went from 321 to 107! I could not believe it went down that fast. ( I am also on meds for cholesterol - Crestor and Zetia). So, I know it's a combo of all three that did this. My question is, has anyone seen their HDL (good cholesterol) drop? Mine should have gone up due to everything I am doing to make myself healthier. It's kinda strange - it dropped 4 point from 48 to 44. I know the docs recommend it to be higher. Anyone ever have that happen to them?

Replies

• edianna
    edianna Posts: 15
    Options
    I actually had low HDL and high Triglicerides. I would be curious about your triglicerides also. I was told as I continue to lose and excercise that I would balance out. Have you ever heard of metabolic syndrome? This doctor told me I needed to see a endocrinologist. I was so afraid - I also have blood sugar issues. YUCK! I feel better now that I have lost weight.
  • edianna
    edianna Posts: 15
    Options
    I actually had low HDL and high Triglicerides. I would be curious about your triglicerides also. I was told as I continue to lose and excercise that I would balance out. Have you ever heard of metabolic syndrome? This doctor told me I needed to see a endocrinologist. I was so afraid - I also have blood sugar issues. YUCK! I feel better now that I have lost weight.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100%, so do your own homework, but I think that since your total cholesterol dropped so much, it isn't a big deal that your HDL dropped a bit. I think the important issue is the percentage of good cholesterol to bad cholesterol, which must have shot up as well.
  • azwildcatfan94
    Options
    Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS! I go in in August to get my cholesterol checked. My total cholesterol was ok, low on the good cholesterol, but not too bad, and Triglycerides high. I have been working hard (diet and exercise only) to improve my numbers, but we will see...
  • GetFitBy2010
    Options
    wow! that's so cool. Congrats! keep up the good work.
    Don't know why your good chol get lower.
    Is it possible that you ate lots of solvable (sp?) fiber which helps to removes cholesterol??

About Triglicerides, I was really high on it. Doc got me to take 6 pills of fish oil a day (i think it's 6000mg),
    mine went from242 to 99
  • Pamela777
    Pamela777 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you all for your imput. It feels good to know I'm not alone. :wink: My triglycerides went down too, from 116 to 65. I know the 116 was below what is allowed, but being I had a heart attacke 3 years ago - every little bit helps. Also, I forgot to say that I am a type 2 diabetic that takes insulin. So............I have a real necessity to get healthy.

You know I bet I will balance out. I'm gonna get re-checked in 3 months and see where I'm at. What I would totally love to do is get off the Crestor (hurts my hips), so I take Co-Q10 for the pain. I tried fish oil - yuck. Aftertaste for me is horrible. So cudos to you for taking 6,000 mg. That sounds like alot.
  • 135gratitude
    135gratitude Posts: 364
    Options
    Congrats on lowering your cholesterol without medication - you took your health into your own hands, and you are literally healing yourself with diet and exercise! It is corny, but true!!!

As for the HDL, I wouldn't worry too much - 40, with an LDL of 100 is not bad, as ideally you want your HDL to be 50% or greater of your LDL - so you are almost there!

A one time blood test is also only a snapshot, as your cholesterol fluctuates - I wouldn't worry too much, but flax seed oil, hemp seed oil, salba, or fish oil should help!
    :flowerforyou:
  • azwildcatfan94
    Options
    I found a type of fish oil at target that doesn't cause after taste or fish burps!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!