Couch 25K

Options
I have been working on my running skills for a little while now and have made it up to running consistantly for 1 full mile. My goal for this year is to complete a 5K.

I found out about a site yesterday called Couch 25K and it even has an app for my iPhone. The site looks pretty good, but before I proceed I wanted to get some feedback from my MFP buddies.

Any thoughts on this site? Has anyone had any luck with the program?

Thanks for your feedback!! :)

Replies

• snowchj
    snowchj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Couch25K is one of the most popular and frequently suggested programs for rank novice athletic training, and also one of the most effective.

Highly recommended.
  • runnergrace
    runnergrace Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Coouch 25K is the reason I am currently running 5k! Loved it.
    Only tip is to "trust the program"- you might not think you can run that far, but chances are, you actually can!
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Great thanks!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It's a great program, if you can follow through, like I don't... Restarting it again soon. Very adaptable, and very rewarding! You can go as fast or as slow as you need.
  • chefanie85
    Options
    I love this program!! I used the treadmill version to get myself ready for my first 5k last November. Unfortunately, I hurt my foot and couldn't run for a while so I missed the race. But I gained so much confidence simply because now I know I can run a 5k. :) Maybe not as fast as everyone else, but I'll run it. lol
  • fpgessel
    fpgessel Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Awesome program. I did it before running my first 5K. Lile the others have said - trust the program, most times your body can do it, it's your mind saying otherwise. With that being said, if you really struggle one week, just do that week again. And then move on.

This program really taught me to trust my body - it is far more capable than we give it credit for. I started this when I was about 65 pounds overweight and was still able to do it.

Go for it and Good Luck....You can do it!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Coouch 25K is the reason I am currently running 5k! Loved it.
    Only tip is to "trust the program"- you might not think you can run that far, but chances are, you actually can!

The flip side of "trust the program" is that you need to follow the program and not try to do more than it calls for, otherwise you can injure yourself. Also, be SURE you are running in running shoes. I just sidelined myself by "pushing through the pain" in my ankle and it turns out that I caused a serious strain in a tendon in my ankle. I found out that I was running in cross trainers instead of running shoes and I pronate, both which contributed to the injury.

All that said, I LOVE C25K and I love running!
  • ChristinaBarnhouse
    ChristinaBarnhouse Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The more I research this, I have found a few apps titles Couch 25K. Would you recommend Couch to 5K using Active.com or Couch to 5K by Benjohn Barnes?

Thanks again for all your thoughts!
  • _rebeccab
    _rebeccab Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I prefer Robert Ullrey's Couch to 5K, I'm not fond of electronica but it distracts me from staring at the time on the treadmill. Also, he has a calming positive voice so I actually follow his instructions. There are a few podcasts that use musical cues to change from walking to running, but I tend to miss them so I prefer the vocal signal to change.

I tried a few other podcasts before his, but like it the best. But, your mileage may vary. I'd suggest you download two different podcasts and if you find one isn't working during the first week then such to the other.
  • ValMae
    ValMae Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    So far, I am loving this....I can barely run a 1/4 mile without walking but am in the second week of this program and it really does increase your endurance. Do it! Even if you CAN run longer than the intervals recommended, just go with the program. Let it take you to running a 5k.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    It did wonders for me!!! I finished a few months back, and have run 2 5ks since then! I would've done more, but the money to enter into the races... bleh...
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I LOVE C25K!! Almost done with week 5 and refuse to stop now!
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Best program in the world!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I drank the kool aid cause the proof is in the pudding. I LOVE running now and have changed my nutrition, cross training, and have given myself fitness based goals because of c25k. I downloaded podcasts versus the app. I'm not using an app for Bridge to 10k. There is a mfp group for c25k if you want to join that for more info.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    my favorite podcasts were hip hop/pop based from Carli with runningintoshape.com and Suz with kissmyblackass.org PLEASE USE the .org .com is a whole nutha kinda site.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I used the Get Running Couch to 5K app and LOVED it. It uses voice cues for when to run/walk, and also lets you know during a run how much longer you have to go. You use your own music playlist on your iPod/iPhone. I think I paid like 99c for it. I am now training for a 1/2 marathon and I started Couch to 5K in October.

Follow the program, don't run more than it says (lessens the chance of injury) and make sure you are wearing proper running shoes.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K and just last weekend I ran 9 miles and am currently training for a half marathon. Even if you never go more than 5k I -highly- recommend the program.
  • daffy_girl
    Options
    I am in my 6th week. I think its great so far. Today I've been kind of dreading to do it but you guys have inspired me to get with it! I will be ready to go in about 30 minutes!
  • GirlAnachronismE
    GirlAnachronismE Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've just graduated from the programme and I loved it! I never thought I would be able to run 5K in my life, but it builds you up to it gradually and it's brilliant.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 of the program and it is going well. I'm doing 2 workouts on the treadmill and 1 outside (although it is freezing here in Scotland!). I've got a 5K run booked for 6th May (Race for Life for cancer research UK) so that is my target. I'm aiming to get the distance covered first then for the last few weeks work on the speed side of things...........

Good Luck!!
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    The more I research this, I have found a few apps titles Couch 25K. Would you recommend Couch to 5K using Active.com or Couch to 5K by Benjohn Barnes?

Thanks again for all your thoughts!

i like the active.com, but I haven't looked into the other