Shin Pain

Options
Okay - before you start yelling about checking old posts I already have but I am looking for more options.

I have not run since before I was in High School. I have been walking MILES for quite a while now and it just isnt cutting it anymore so I have been trying to work my way back into running. When I first started I was getting horrible shin (and just to the inside of my shin) pain. I backed off for a while. Got new high end, flexible, light weight running shoes, have been stretching better than I ever have, "writing" the alphabet with my feet before and after, changing stride and speed etc.... ALL the things I have read on here that people have suggested. I have been trying to walk 1 or 2 laps of the track and then run 1 or 2, trying to work my way back in but before I am done with the first mile I am in major pain. Tonight I was almost in tears it hurt so bad....

ANYWAY, does anyone have any more suggestions. I really want to be able to run a 5K this summer. Am I supposed to run through the pain or should I back off..... ANy suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies

• elder4
    elder4 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ghettosmurf999
    ghettosmurf999 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Only thing I could suggest is to go to a proper running shop to get your gait analysed - it might be that you are over/under prontating and that the trainers aren't suitable for your style of running.

Pain in the shin can be cause by weakness in both the knee and ankle.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    It is all about the proper running shoe. You need to be properly fitted for a shoe that will provide you with the correct support that is suitable for YOU. It might be pricey but it will go a very long way in helping you achieve your goal!
  • rvagnoni
    rvagnoni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I too have a similar problem when I try to run. I have recently purchased some orthodic inserts that have a higher arch to help with my over pro nation. Hoping it helps. Besides stretching I don't know what else would help.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Tap your toes. Anytime you're sitting (work, watching T.V., eating...) just tap your toes.
  • Destinie589
    Options
    Go to a doctor and make sure you don't have a stress fracture in your shin. I had that happen and it takes a LONG time to heal. In my experience and another gym goer I know we both had to rest longer. The dr told us 6 weeks (we went to diff dr.'s) and went back to our respective doctors after that 6 weeks and both had to rest a couple of more weeks. A good indicator is to check and see if you have a lump/bump on your shin. Good luck!!
  • gcstlla
    gcstlla Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you need to have your foot analyzed at a running shoe store - they will tell you specifically what shoe is best for your stride. In the meantime back off the running before you hurt yourslef and ahve a major set back. :)
  • jens1285
    jens1285 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    From playing hockey in high school, I got shin splints all the time when I started back up for a new season. I would check into that and custom shoes. :)
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    As said above - running shoes is the key - getting the most expensive doesn't mean anything if you don't get your feet checked and get the correct type.

Also - have you considered barefoot running shoes?
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I suffered horrible shin splints when i first started running and then again when I tried increasing my distance too quickly. It took a while for them to go away, but now I am happy to say I can run without the pain. In my honest opinion, I think it comes down to my legs being stronger now. I also use compression leg sleeves when I run sometimes to improve the blood flow and give a little support in that area. I always wear them after a run to aid in recovery. I did lots of ABC stretching when I had shin splints; I iced and elevated immediately after a run; popped an ibuprofen after every run; gave myself at least a day in between runs; did strength training (heavy weights) on my legs to make them stronger; avoided hills when I was hurting; and rested when I could. I wish you the best of luck, because I know how painful it can be... and it took me a very long time to overcome them.

ETA: To answer you question of whether to run through the pain or not, I would suggest not if it's as bad as you are saying. If it's that bad, you are only going to make it worst. Maybe try to see a sports doctor.
  • BrooklynBeast
    Options
    I have overcome sever shin pain and actual stress fractures. I now run over 50 miles per week completely pain free.

There are several things you need to do:

1. See a podiatrist that specializes in runners. He will probably fit you with a custom fit, light weight orthotic. Wear them all the time once you get used to them.

2. Go to a proper running store that knows how to fit your foot with the correct type of shoe for your gait. Put your orthotic underneath the insole when you try them on.

3. Proper gait. Are you a heal striker? If so, change your stride so that you land more towards the ball of your foot, not your heal. Become a mid-foot striker. This will take getting used to, so start out slowly. Don't be surprised if you feel like you've ran a marathon after the first time you try it.

4. Lose weight. The more pounds you carry, the greater the force on your shins.

5. Strength training. Possibly the missing ingredient for most people. In addition to getting shin splits, I started to develop plantar faciaitis. Once I started doing a boot camp fitness routine, all those aches and pains I would get from running, or really, any type of training disappeared.

Hope this helps.
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    Only thing I could suggest is to go to a proper running shop to get your gait analysed - it might be that you are over/under prontating and that the trainers aren't suitable for your style of running.

Agree^^^ It doesn't matter how "high end" your shoe is if it's not the right shoe for you. Definitely get your gait analyzed. Your arches or lack of could be your problem. I struggled with "shin splints" and even stress fractures in high school because I didn't have the right shoes and I have flat feet. Orthotics and the right shoes have made all the difference in the world for me. Good luck!
  • hitman1978
    hitman1978 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else, but also wanted to add a couple of things. First, you can buy a shin brace. Pretty much the same thing as an ankle or knee brace, but for your shin. They seemed to help my roommate alot. Second, I can't praise the custom insoles by Dr Scholls you can get at Walmart. The machine to measure your feet is in the Pharmacy section at my Walmart. It may seem excessive to pay $50 for some insoles, but I bought mine and the next time I ran with them in my shoes, it felt as if I was running in mid-air. I literally could not feel my feet hitting the ground....amazing!!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options

Agree^^^ It doesn't matter how "high end" your shoe is if it's not the right shoe for you. Definitely get your gait analyzed. Your arches or lack of could be your problem. I struggled with "shin splints" and even stress fractures in high school because I didn't have the right shoes and I have flat feet. Orthotics and the right shoes have made all the difference in the world for me. Good luck!

I agree with getting proper running shoes, but from my own experience, even once I got proper running shoes after gait analysis at The Running Store, my shin pain did not magically go away. It still took quite some time and effort, and all the things I mentioned above, before finally I could run pain free. Everyone is always so quick to say go to a running store to get your gait analyzed, and I do whole heartedly agree with that, but it does not mean all problems or pains will just disappear once doing so.

ETA: That sounded kind of rude, but I assure you it was not my intentions! Just trying to keep it real with OP..
  • elder4
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I am determined to be able to run....it just might take me a little while longer than I planned to get there. Thank you for your support.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm over coming shin splints as well and, eventhough I'm not quite 100% past getting them, here are somet things that have been helping me along. I did do the run analysis and etc listed above. I also bought compression sleeves for my shins, I ice my shins IMMEDIATELY after running at least once for 15 minutes, and, eventhough I have to cardio ability to do more, I've pulled my intesity back drastically. So, if you're goal is to run 1 or 2 laps and walk 1 or 2 laps, I would suggest maybe running a 1/4 lap and then walking a lap. This may not feel like you're getting much of a "workout," but, the whole point is to strengthen your muscles for running. The pain on the side of your shin indicates to me that your a little weak and may underpronate when you run or when you get fatigued...

I'm lucky enough to over pronate when I'm fresh and under pronate when I'm tired... I've been really focusing on staying in a nuetral or over pronated position when I'm running and it has seemed to help so far. I only run maybe 2-3 times a week. If I feel any pain or soreness, I will not run. If I feel any pain or soreness during my run, I stop immediately.

Take your time getting into a running routine. Even experienced runners can over train or get injuries.
  • elder4
    Options
    Thank you so much. I will check out the sleeves and it all sounds good to me.... Going to back off for the rest of this week and try again next week. A friend suggested taking a frozen bottle of water with me to the gym so I can ice as soon as I am done. Thank you for your help olee67!!