Question about weight for long/lean muscles not bulk

Options
kimber607
kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
Hi\

I'm pretty sure this is going to sound extremely wimpy
I'm doing J/M 30 day shred...I usually do 2 sessions per day (alternate between level 1, 2 and 3)
I was initially only using very light weights I had in the house, maybe 1.5-2- pounds and recently started using 3 pound weights
I can see a bicep muscle now, but my arms are looking 'thicker'

Am I crazy?
How much weight should I use to tone my arms rather than add hard core muscle/bulk

Thanks, kim

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk up. It would take a LOT of weight doing it a very specific way for a woman to get bulky arms. You guys just don't have the type of hormones needed to put on wholesale bulk.

To answer your question, put on as much as you can do and finish the routine, it should be hard for you, and your arms should burn by the end.
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I use 20 pounds for my biceps, and I'm not the least bit bulky. :bigsmile:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I use 20 pounds for my biceps, and I'm not the least bit bulky. :bigsmile:

HIOLY COW..20 pounds :noway: !
    and thanks Boss.....

Just to clarify, I don't know if bulky was the right term
    BUT I do NOT want J/M arms...for my personally that is too big/bulky...more muscular than I would like to be

Thanks, kim
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I don't know if bulky was the right term
    BUT I do NOT want J/M arms...for my personally that is too big/bulky...more muscular than I would like to be

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. It's not what athletic people call bulky but it's more muscle than we want.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer .. I'm just ignoring it for now to focus on fat loss. I figure I can retire the weights and go back to yoga once I reach my goals. It's a lot easier to get rid of muscle than it is to get rid of fat, but impossible to get rid of fat without the muscle.
  • edianna
    edianna Posts: 15
    Options
    hmmmm!!! I do any kind of weight training and my arms, shoulders and legs get huge!!! I have to do alot of cardio along with my weights. Women too can get buff ya know????
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you consider attractive, I think Jillian M. has extremely sexy arms. Now that Blond that was on a few years ago, her body was a little scary but... She was more a body builder then a trainer.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you consider attractive, I think Jillian M. has extremely sexy arms. Now that Blond that was on a few years ago, her body was a little scary but... She was more a body builder then a trainer.

I so agree with you! I would love to have Jillian's arms! I'm starting to see some definition in mine and I'm loving it. Toned muscle looks alot better at 49 than flabby.
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options

I so agree with you! I would love to have Jillian's arms! I'm starting to see some definition in mine and I'm loving it. Toned muscle looks alot better at 49 than flabby.

I got compared to Sarah Conner yesterday! LOVE IT!! :bigsmile:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    You can try alternating the 30-Day Shred with Banish Fat Boost Metabolism; that one is pure cardio ... but you definitely want to keep up SOME arm work if you want them to slim down at all.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    hmmmm!!! I do any kind of weight training and my arms, shoulders and legs get huge!!! I have to do alot of cardio along with my weights. Women too can get buff ya know????

I'm with ya there!! I put muscle on very quickly. Some of my colleagues in the gym, joke around that my arms are bigger then some of the mens..I take it to heart, but shrug it off...that's just how my body reacts toweight lifting, mind you I curl 45 pounds :laugh: probably doesn't help much! but I feel strong and I like that! :tongue:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I'd kill to have Jillian Michael's arms. (Preferably I can kill *her* as she drives me crazy. :laugh: )

Actually I want to look like Harriet Anderson (the oldest woman at the Ironman World Championships last year). She's 20 years older than me and more fit and *cut*. I'm jealous. Of someone old enough to be my mother. :tongue: