Considering Upping My Calorie Intake...

Options
When I first came here I set my goal to losing 2lbs per week. MFP says I need to eat 1430 calories to achieve that goal. I'm 5'8'' and 212 lbs (though I was 225 when I started). I've been reading a little about BMR as well as recommended intake and I am wondering if 1430 is too low?

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I should also note that by changing it to 1.5 lbs per week it goes to 1650.

Also I do C25K 3 days a week and various other exercises 3 other days per week...usually 30 min per day.
  • I say...do what works for you! B-) I know, so much help I am. I just feel that there is a lot of stuff on the internet and in books that is too generalized. If you really want to know what you should be doing I think you consult a dietitian/nutritionist and maybe a trainer to help answer your questions and customize a plan for you, your situation and health condition.
  • jenmandy
    jenmandy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think the calorie intakes on this site are very low. I'm only supposed to take in 1300 and I'm 5'8", 150lbs. I'm running 5 days / week and the pounds aren't really coming off like they should...I'm wondering if I'm in the dreaded 'starvation mode'??
  • lukeout007
    Options
    I'm wondering if I'm in the dreaded 'starvation mode'??

I'm finding I'm more hungry lately and wondering if that's not the beginning of starvation mode...it's my main motivation for looking at upping my cals. I don't want to plateau.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Oh jeez...so I was just thinking I wonder if my 1430 would change if I updated my goals since I've lost weight...now MFP says 1400...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think the calorie intakes on this site are very low. I'm only supposed to take in 1300 and I'm 5'8", 150lbs. I'm running 5 days / week and the pounds aren't really coming off like they should...I'm wondering if I'm in the dreaded 'starvation mode'??

Is that 1300 total or net calories? It could be too low. At your height / weight more than 1/2 lb per week is probaly not too realistic for healthy weight loss. But MFP should give you more than 1300 if you are set at 1/2 lb per week.
  • jenmandy
    jenmandy Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Is that 1300 total or net calories? It could be too low. At your height / weight more than 1/2 lb per week is probaly not too realistic for healthy weight loss. But MFP should give you more than 1300 if you are set at 1/2 lb per week.
    1310 is the "Goal" calorie intake MFP gave me. Should I go in and change the goal per week to 1/2lb and see what happens?
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I had to up my calories after hitting a 7 week plateau. I was hungry constantly at 1200 (not for the first 100 days, though) and wasn't losing. I upped to 1400 and I'm losing again.
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I am experimenting with the same thing. I was down to 1300/day (set to lose 1 lb/wk) and was losing nice and steadily, but I exercised purely to be able to eat my exercise calories back because I was always hungry. I upped it to 1510 about 2 weeks ago which is .5 lb/wk and have not really lost anything since (though TOM is playing a role I think). I am going to stick with it a bit longer because I am not nearly so hungry at this level and I think my body will adjust, I'll just be losing more slowly. I don't have too much left to goal (somewhere between 7 and 12 lbs) so I'm not expecting to lose very quickly at this point anyway.
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Increasing my calores has changed my life!! I had a resting metabolic rate test done that said I burn aproximatly 1900 just living. I was eating 1200 calories and uped it to 1500. It took a couple weeks for my body to catch on to the change I made but after it did I have continued to lose. I dont feel as hungry as I did, I also have more energy and do not struggle so much to stay under my goal I just always forget to complete my daily diaries. The dietition I spoke to when I had the test done said that it will take a little longer for me to lose the weight because I am repairing the damage i made to my metabolism. I now eat a small snack inbetween my meals and it is also helping. I am slowly increassing my exercise which will help me to lose the weight faster. The dietician told me not to eat back all of my calories at first and to try and save them but if I hit a platau i am suppose to eat them back. She did warn me when I first increased that if I did not lose anything after 3 weeks to start eating back my calories I know it sound confusing but its differnt for everyone so just do the oposite. I love this site and it has helped me so much but I do think the calories suggested might be a bit low :)
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Dont give up and give it a little more time. It took two weeks before I saw it working. The third week I droped 5 pds.
  • Jenthin
    Jenthin Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Helpful info sweetie...thank you! :flowerforyou: