My NSV (& some motivating words)

Options
Today, while in the gym I decided that I was going to run. I FREAKING HATE RUNNING. But I put on some good music and started running. Somewhere around minute 20, I was feeling kinda good so I said to myself "Chelsee, why don't you run for an hour?" and myself said back to me "Well, never thought about it before. Let's give it a-go!".

Now, I'm freaking on minute 40 and I'm about. to. die. Like seriously cry, get me off this thing, you are so not capable of doing this, life is over at the tender age of 22 and 2 months, about. to. die. And then myself said "Hey, didn't you make a promise to yourself? Didn't you tell yourself that you were going to run for 60 minutes? When did you start lying to yourself?" So I kept running.

Around minute 50 I'm feeling a little like Forrest Gump at the end of his cross country run to forget about Jenny.

Point is, I made it to 60 minutes because I made a commitment to myself to run for 60 damn minutes! This time last year, I couldn't run for 60 seconds (you think I'm joking, I'm not, I really couldn't run on a treadmill for 60 seconds). You can do anything, if I can do it you can do it! Get up and get moving! Something is so much better than nothing! You don't have to run for 60 minutes, walk for 20, jog for 2, walk Fido an extra block, just get up and do something better than you did it yesterday! Trust me, it will feel amazing. You are here reading this because you made a commitment to yourself to get healthy (that's why you are on MFP) and today you are going to be better than you were yesterday! Yes you are going to slip (I admit, I had chicken tenders for dinner last night. and BBQ sauce. and a Coke (not diet)), and you are going to hate this process and you are going to want to quit. DON'T DO IT! KEEP GOING! YOU HAVE IT IN YOU!

If I had it in me, you have it in you. remember, I hate running. Push! Fight the good fight! You are the controller of your own destiny! You can defeat the elliptical/treadmill/stationarybike/jillianmichaels/track/park/zumba/wifit/Fido/whatever! Keep moving! You will feel great once you have completed your next goal.

That was my soapbox. Now, go out and get MOVING!

Replies

• Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    :drinker: cheers to that!
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!!!!
  • Chunky_As_Charged
    Options
    You, m'dear, are amazing. :flowerforyou:
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I love everything about this. Everything. So happy for you and your NSV.

Also, giggling at the thought of defeating the Fido. :wink:

LOVE IT!! You rock!

I'm totally trying this and friending you. :flowerforyou:
  • jenseye
    jenseye Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Very motivating post!
    Thank you!
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Well said!! :smile:
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Well done for pushing yourself
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!

I hate running too. But I'm going to do the couch 2 5k program this spring. I want to run so that I can! Your story is awesome!
  • JaeDeeCaterpillar
    JaeDeeCaterpillar Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Great post!! And congrats on your amazing progress!
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Good job!

Okay but . . . I am so not trying to be a downer . . . but still make sure you REST before running again. A couple days at least. That goes for anyone who thinks this is a good idea. Also build up to it more.

A few years ago I did that (60 minutes, 6 miles) (I had been running up to 30 minutes regularly) and then I did it again the next day and then I was Injured and couldn't do cardio with my legs properly for like a year. Not even walking much without aggravating the injury.

Again its great you made it over that mental hurdle, but I just don't want anyone injuring themselves.
  • pwillini84
    Options
    I have always had a "I can quit when I want to" mentality when it comes to exercise. It's way to easy too stop before the 45 minutes you've programmed into the treadmill or the hour long spin class - you just stop.

Well, I'm not only changing my attitude about exercise, I'm changing my life. There will be no stopping, there will be no quit. Since my goal in beginng this part of my adventure is "to live the next 50 yrs like I lived between 20 and 31" I have to push myself, beyond any comfort zone I've ever been in. I can do it, I will do it, I MUST DO IT!
  • ESP12
    ESP12 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Awesome way to TELL your body what you want it to do, and not letting it let you doubt yourself!
    What an outstanding accomplishment (and revelation)!
    Elke
  • marquesajen
    Options
    you rock!
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Wow, really impressed, well done and well told. Thanks for sharing.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thats great to hear. I give myself every excuse in the book (and some) to not run. I don't know why its the hardest exercise for me. I did however sign up for a 5k in May so running practice is in my near future. Thanks for the inspiration :)
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    And then myself said "Hey, didn't you make a promise to yourself? Didn't you tell yourself that you were going to run for 60 minutes? When did you start lying to yourself?" So I kept running.

Great post! My favorite part^^
  • chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I rested :D

Resting is just as important as exercising, be sure to tell your pillow you love it at least once a week and that you are not going to forget about it ever when you are at the gym!