will i lose as long as i keep to 1200?

Options
Hey guys

Bit of advice needed.

I LOVE chocolate.

On a bad day, i may have a chocolate bar and a packet of low cal crips.

If i do this most days, as long as i keep within my advised calorie intake and excercise 3 times a week, i should still lose weight right?

Just checking, as my weight loss has slowed down....but i'm only 9st 11lbs anyway...so i dont know if thats why...as i'm getting nearer my goal.

In my head its a silly question...in my head i should live on salad etc etc but thats just not a reality for me.

Thanks

Replies

• cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    Although make sure you are getting enough vitamins/protein etc from the rest of your (hopefully balanced) diet.
  • samlou22
    Options
    Thankyou cjw6 - i needed reassuring! i am good most of the time ie fruit, cereal, soup, salads ect....but i do like a treat! LOL
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    i do not recommend low cal crips. that is a dangerous region and crips are dangerous people no matter what part of california they are from.
  • samlou22
    Options
    HA! :D
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Don't count on it... I was eating 1200/day and not losing anything... I just raised my calorie intake to 1300 (+ exercise calories) and only now am I losing about a pound a week).
  • samlou22
    Options
    Greekbymarriage - isnt it strange how our bodies work! that may be something for me to bear in mind, thanks
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    It is weird! And it is really hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that I need to eat more in order to lose weight! I swear, I am eating more now than I was before! Since I raised my calories to 1300 it seems the weight is coming off quicker... and on top of that it seems like when I go over my 1300 I drop even more weight!! I might raise myself to 1400 and see what happens because with the research I have been doing, it seems the right number for me to be at is between 1400-1500 for me to lose weight as quickly but as healthily as possible!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If your close to your goal, I'd recommend more than 1200. Aim for a half pound a week loss.

I like to have some kind of chocolate every day. I have found that my chocolate urge is just as happily filled (usually) by a protein or fiber bar as it is by a Butterfingers, and I'll get some nutritional bonus from them. But sometimes I just need a real candy bar. :laugh:
  • Gennawest
    Options
    I find myself snacking on bite size candy bars. Although, I usually have more than tthree at a time, thus making it not really snack size. Anywho, when I was really trying to lose weight I would not have touched those goodnesses, but now-- ehhh, I eat them about once a day. I am just maintaining though (maintaining with the hopes of one day losing 5 more lbs). Speaking of sweets, I cannot wait for the weekend- no counting for me. Hooray!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Will will lose weight as long as you stay under maintenance. To get your maintenance go to goal and look at calories burned from normal daily activity. If you exercise and burn calories that increase your maintenance. So if your maintenance is 2000 cals and you burn 400 from exercise you will lose weight as long as you eat less than 2400 calories (2000+400)
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Just keep an eye on your sugars. The RDA for a woman is 24gs of processed sugars (like in chocolate). Those sugars can be wiped out with a single chocolate bar! I was not watching my sugars, was always under my calories, but stopped losing weight entirely for 3 months! Started tracking sugar and everything is right as rain. :-)
  • ItsJustK
    ItsJustK Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i do not recommend low cal crips. that is a dangerous region and crips are dangerous people no matter what part of california they are from.
    lmao
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    yea, I was going to say you may have to increase your calorie intake. I've lost over 100lbs, and I've had to raise my calories a few times over the past year that I've been on my journey. :)
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    You'll lose so long as you're under maintenance no matter what you eat.

However, chocolate and other high sugar snacks will cause more cravings for you. So technically, they could make it harder for you to stay on track.
  • sheisunique
    Options
    Sometimes I have a breakdown and eat two bowls of Meijer's new cereal "Krave." It is seriously so delicious. It tastes like I'm eating mushy oreos in a bowl with some soy milk light. But it's enriched with vitamins and fiber, things that a chocolate bar fails to give to me.

I am one of many who struggle to lose weight. I don't eat a lot during the day unless I'm snacking on things that are bad for me (chips, mostly. I love tortilla chips and salsa. And peanuts.) so I would usually report less than 1200 calories. Since I've started working out, I've been a lot hungrier and tend to go over my calories (1300 cals). It is only after going over my calories with vitamin rich foods that I see myself lose a pound a week with exercise. :) Just my perspective.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It is weird! And it is really hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that I need to eat more in order to lose weight! I swear, I am eating more now than I was before! Since I raised my calories to 1300 it seems the weight is coming off quicker... and on top of that it seems like when I go over my 1300 I drop even more weight!! I might raise myself to 1400 and see what happens because with the research I have been doing, it seems the right number for me to be at is between 1400-1500 for me to lose weight as quickly but as healthily as possible!

WHAT?!??! You see something that's working for you and you're going to try to refine it further by your own trial and error rather than asking total strangers if it'll work??

=P
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options

OMG!!!!! That is so funny!
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options

HA! That made me giggle
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I do not remember a single day i have not had candy, and my weight loss has been a pound every week guaranteed. Its still early days, do not know for how long i will continue like this but im not complaining. Make sure you stay under maintainence, you should be ok. Good luck.