For women that lift heavy-question

Options
Sorry if this has been posted, I searched but couldn't find the answer to my question. For women that are strength training (lifting heavy), how much cardio are you doing and at what intensity?

We joined a gym a few months ago and I was the cardio queen but wasn't seeing the results that I wanted. I love doing the Zumba class on Thursday nights for the sheer fun of it. Since I have been going to the gym I have been using the machines and increasing the weight as needed. I am lifting as heavy as I can in 6-8 reps. I haven't really ventured over to the weights side of the gym because, frankly I am embarrased and intimidated.

I never see the really buff men or women at my gym doing cardio and I just wanted to find out what types of cardio are acceptable when trying to build muscle and reduce body fat.

Thanks!

Replies

• CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting heavy after reading New Rules of Lifting for Women. According to the book, it isn't necessary to do ANY cardio. That being said, I actually enjoy a good cardio workout, especially running. So I've been lifting heavy 3 times a week, and then either walking or running 1-2 times a week. Basically, since I am focusing on lifting and getting better in that area, I am only doing cardio because I enjoy it. I will keep doing that whenever I feel like it, unless it starts to interfere with my lifting (ie sucking up my energy or preventing me from recovering properly). I am super long winded lol...I guess what I'm trying to say, is that I think if you really enjoy cardio, keep doing it, but don't drive yourself crazy trying to get in an hour every day or something.

Also, venture over to the free weights!! It's definitely not as scary as you would think :)

EDIT: sorry, I forgot to add that the best kind of cardio for losing fat is HIIT, or High Intensity Interval Training
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I get great results lifting only as far as tightness and tone, and did lose fat - but still had fat that would not drop off. - to drop my bodyfat to the levels I prefer, I need cardio also.

In general, if you are trying to lower bodyfat, and also tighten up, and improve muscle, for most people a plan that includes both strength and cardio seems to give better/faster results then ether alone. Your mileage may vary, since to an extent it is individualized. :) So your age, metabolism, current muscle mass, gender, size etc all factor in. And you can certainly adjust to what works best for "you"

If you are at a body fat level you like, progressing well, and not concerned with the extra health benefits of cardio, then it can be certainly avoided if one prefers.

This link from Womens Health give some good info on pros and cons of cardio vs strength.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/cardio-vs-strength-training-workouts#axzz1lpYS2J9v

I have tried strength only, cardio only - and a mix. For "me" a mix works best for fastest fat loss, best tightening, and overall muscle improvement. And I personally have best results with a "doubles" type program. I am an experienced lifter, and have been working out for a few years, doing "advanced" moves.

Make sure you are adding in enough calories, and higher protein levels to support the extra stresses on your body.

A general recommendation is 30 min of cardio 2-3 times a week, paired with strength training 2-3 times a week.

For me though. I need more then that. I was able to get great results with the above recommendation, but I am now close to my goal weight, and want to drop body fat more, so for me - I find I need to strength 3 days a week (heavy weights, low reps, free weights in a fast circuit style) and have cardio sessions as well three days a week (so 6 AM workouts) and I do a second cardio session in the PM, for 4-5 days a week. My cardio is 45 min to 60 min, intervals

Thats not needed for everyone, but I am older, (47) and short, (5'2") so my calorie needs are lower then some, and I do not believe in starving myself, as I want to keep the great muscle gains I already have, and improve from where I am now.

When I was younger, I needed WAAAY less cardio to stay in great shape.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I wear a hrm during all my workouts and I just do enough cardio to get and keep my heart rate up while I am lifting. I actually do a few just cardio sessions when I am feeling lazy and just want to zone out and watch something mindless on netflix, but mostly it's heavy lifting.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Sometimes I do HIIT but only for 20 minutes and maybe twice a week. I really only do this if I'm eating closer to maintenance. I set my own calories and macros in MFP rather than what the site tells me. Also, since you're new to lifting (as am I, started in sept) you would do great with compound lifts. Really, those should be the cornerstone of a lifting regimen. Bench press, overhead press, squat, deadlift, rows, pullups/lat pulldowns. Don't be afraid to leave the machines and go to the free weights. That's where you'll find the best results. :smile: