Eat less, Exercise more????

Options
I thought to lose weight we should eat less and move more. However, everything I see on this board says to eat your calories back. How can I lose weight doing that? That sounds like maintanence to me. I am confused.

Replies

• muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    When you set up your profile, you put in how much you wanted to lose per week. MFP factors that in and gives you the correct deficit for you to lose that much weight without any exercise. Therefore, if you are exercising, you should be eating back those calories to keep from having too large of a deficit and to keep your body fueled properly.
  • BecksFit88
    Options
    Have you looked to see what your basal metabolic rate is, and what your daily energy expenditure is?

Here's my real life example. My BMR is 1957. That is how many calories I would need to maintain my current weight in a coma. I have a sedentary job, so using the Harris benedict equation, I need 2348 calories to sustain my weight just due to day-to-day activities. (waking up, going to work, doing household chores, etc).

MFP calculates your weight loss off of your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) . MFP says I need to eat 1410 calories as a minimum. That works out to roughly 2 pounds/week (which is the high end of safe, sustainable weight loss)

Now let's say I go work out and burn 450 calories during a workout. That dips me down to only 960 calories consumed for the day. You do too much of that and your body says "hey, I'm not getting food here", your metabolism slows, and your body shifts into starvation/sustenance mode.

Even if you "eat back" your exercise calories, your are still running a deficit that will allow you to lose the weight you set as your goal loss per week.
  • __alamin
    __alamin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    eat regularly. every 3 hours but make sure ur calorie intake is less than your exercise + basal metabolic thingy.
  • sgmorgan312
    Options
    The base calorie limit set for you takes into account the type of lifestyle you entered. For example if you said sedentary because you have a desk job, the base calories MFP gives to you will still cause you to lose weight if all you do is sit at your desk all day. But if you do more than sit all day - you have extra calories to eat and in the long run if you are not eating them your body will slow down the metabolism to hold onto what it has and you won't lose weight.

At least that's what I've learned from this site.
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Options
    The calories set up for you are set up for you by MFP to already lose weight, without exercise. When you eat back the exercise calories, you are giving yourself more energy, to not hurt your body, to repair your muscles. There are a LOT of threads about this, and many great explanations.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight by eating less. Or you can lose weight by moving more. When you set up your MFP account, the calculate the number of calories you'll need to eat to lose however many lbs a week. IF you exercise on top of that, that's even MORE of a calorie deficit. So, people on here encourage other to eat back some, if not all of their exercise calories to make sure you have enough food (energy) in your body to fuel your workouts, yet you'll still lose weight.
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The defecit that MFP figures for you is already set in your net calories. You need that many net calories to be healthy and not lose the weight too fast. Say your base calories are 1200 per day and you are set to lose 1 lb. per week. You already have a calorie deficit of 500 (3500 Calories = 1 lb.) for the day if you eat 1200 calories. If you exercise 500 calories worth and only eat 1200 actual calories, now you will have a 1000 calorie deficite for the day and that is to much. Hope this helps!
  • lilybug13
    Options
    Really it is all about calories in/calories out. If you eat less and exercise more you could be doing too much. You eat the same and exercise more then you lose weight, if you eat less and exercise none you lose. You don't NEED to do both to lose weight. Exercise has a smaller impact though because it is really difficult to burn calories.

Say you work out for an hour and burn 400 calories, that is the same as eating two donuts... So if you don't want to work out for an hour, just don't eat the two donuts. If you want them, and to still lose weight, then get moving :-)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    everything is answered here http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I do try nor to eat 100% of my exercise calories back, mostly because calories burned is way more of an estimate than the calories in food. Also, I have my weight loss set at the slow and steady 1 lb/week level, so if I come under a couple hundred calories on some days, it's not a big deal.
  • noeys
    noeys Posts: 56
    Options
    I always found it confusing here too, and honestly it messed up my weight loss mind set lol!
    HOWEVER... if you set up your MFP to say your sedentary, and want to lose a lb a week... it give you an intake goal... if you then burn 400 calories or whatever working out... you dont NEED to eat that back because it would just make you lose MORE that week (IE 2 lbs instead) so unless you are barely eating anything, or burning crazy calories, I personally would say dont eat them back, and dont confuse yourself. ;)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    When you input your info accurately. (age, height, age, activity level) MFP calculates how many calories the average person needs to maintain that weight.

When you select LOSE 1 LB/WEEK then MFP subtracts 500 calories from your current weight maintenance calories.
    So this is the "DEFICIT" that MFP builds into your TARGET calories. If you exercise you use more enegry/calories and need more nutrition to fuel your body. If you eat them back there is still the 500 calorie deficit that MFP built into your TARGET. If you don't eat any or all of them back your deficit will be larger. Which may or may not be a good thing depending on your goals and how far you are from them.

As long as you are eating reasonable healthy foods and meeting that magic guideline of 1200 NET calories a day. You'll probably get enough nutrition in and don't have to worry about eating every last exercise calorie.

I'm not a very consistent person so I was much more success when I gave myself a range.

BOTTOM: 1200 calories net.
    TARGET: MFP lose 1 lb/week (when my target calories got to 1200 I switched to lose 1/2 lb/wk)
    TOP: Maintain my goal weight.
    (Safety Valve: Maintain my current weight (remember to recalculate this as your weight changes)

As long as I stayed within my range i would continue to lose.
    As long as I didn't shoot past my safety valve I shouldn't gain.
    I found this was a good way to gauge just how bad a day
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    Taso is smartass but he is also 100% correct as well. The site he posted does in fact answer any questions you may have on this subject and his link at the bottom that says "MFP FAQ" covers just about everything else too. Notice how many posts he has on this board. He's been around for awhile. No matter how much weight you want or need to lose, there are people here who have already accomplished that goal and more. Don't beat yourself up trying to re-invent the wheel. Learn from those who have done what you want to do. Knowledge is power. Patience and tenacity are your friends. You didn't get to where you are overnight and it isn't going to go away that fast either. Dependent upon your current goals (there is a great chance they will change if you stick around long enough), you should be able to reach just about any goal you may have within 3 to 18 months. Don't give up, don't quit, don't get side-tracked. You have to be in it to win it. You can do this.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    eat regularly. every 3 hours but make sure ur calorie intake is less than your exercise + basal metabolic thingy.

Dude that's solid advice. Anyone who uses technical terms like "thingy" are clearly well versed on the subject.
  • HeartlessHarlot
    HeartlessHarlot Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Have you looked to see what your basal metabolic rate is, and what your daily energy expenditure is?

Here's my real life example. My BMR is 1957. That is how many calories I would need to maintain my current weight in a coma. I have a sedentary job, so using the Harris benedict equation, I need 2348 calories to sustain my weight just due to day-to-day activities. (waking up, going to work, doing household chores, etc).

MFP calculates your weight loss off of your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) . MFP says I need to eat 1410 calories as a minimum. That works out to roughly 2 pounds/week (which is the high end of safe, sustainable weight loss)

Now let's say I go work out and burn 450 calories during a workout. That dips me down to only 960 calories consumed for the day. You do too much of that and your body says "hey, I'm not getting food here", your metabolism slows, and your body shifts into starvation/sustenance mode.

Even if you "eat back" your exercise calories, your are still running a deficit that will allow you to lose the weight you set as your goal loss per week.

I have been wondering about the whole "earned" calories things since I started using MFP. Thank you for explaining it a clear and concise way!! This really helped clear things up for me!!
  • Redgal56
    Redgal56 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I actually put in my own calorie intake of 1200 based on the fact that I am 5'2, weighed 15, am 55, and have a sit-down desk job. Maybe if I let MFP calculate my calories it will be better. I didn't know that MFP deducts calories for you to lose.

Thanks everyone!