Quick question

Options
Random question, I don't eat a lot of chocolate... But.. if you have say 600kcal left, and a choc bar is 300 kcal say, if you eat it, do you put on the weight even though you for your kcals for it?

Replies

• HelloRevvie
    Options
    I've thought about this too. However, I believe that the point of eating snacks like that is working for them! If I have calories left over and I have a sweet tooth then sometimes, I'll go for my favorite dark chocolate bar :) It hasn't effected my weight loss as long as I get my exercising in.

I also don't mind going out to eat and things of the sort. I've been on this site for 20 days and several SEVERAL times I have been out to eat, stayed in my calorie limit, and still lost weight :) Moderation is key.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    If you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. If you are in a surplus, you will gain weight.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    If you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. If you are in a surplus, you will gain weight.

This, mostly. You still need to keep an eye on sugar and sodium intake
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to watch all the macros, not just calories. Like sugar, carbs and fat. If you are okay in all of those, go for it.
  • amizimmerman
    Options
    I eat chocolate everyday...always leave some extra room for it in my day...i work hard and exercise everyday so I always treat myself with chocolate and its never hurt me any..I consistently lost weight and now that I'm past my goal weight i still eat it and I'm maintaing well..prbly just depends on the person cause everyone is different..i may be able to eat it everyday and not gain weight but it might not work for someone else
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options

This, mostly. You still need to keep an eye on sugar and sodium intake

Sugar and Sodium wont increase FAT.
    EDIT: while on a calorie deficit.
  • Sibby123
    Options
    So if you're under on your sugar etc go for it? If you're not even tho you got the kcals don't?
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Under your calories? Yes? Go for it! I don't pay much attention to sugar and sodium levels, honestly.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Random question, I don't eat a lot of chocolate... But.. if you have say 600kcal left, and a choc bar is 300 kcal say, if you eat it, do you put on the weight even though you for your kcals for it?
    The math says no; calories are calories when it comes to mere weight loss.
    Now, if you want to get into a discussion about optimal health, eating a bunch of chocolate isn't good.

It does nothing positive.
  • Sibby123
    Options
    I'm not about "eating a bunch of chocolate" I'm on about one bar as a treat..
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options

This. Occasionally eating a chocolate bar is fine. However, I wouldn't make a habit of meeting your calorie goal with one every day. If you're like me, you're on here because you need to learn new, healthy habits.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I think its fine to have it in moderation once or twice a week. Wouldn't eat it everyday because of the sugars. If you have chocolate you'll be immediately over mfp sugar, don't worry about it once or twice a week. If your eating clean the rest of the time it shouldn't have an adverse effect. I've found the less I eat chocolate the less I want it though. I may eat it once a month maximum now. X
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    no as long as you are under your caloric intake for the day. When I want chocolate I eat 28 M&M's =100 calories.

Enjoy
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    The math says no; calories are calories when it comes to mere weight loss.
    Now, if you want to get into a discussion about optimal health, eating a bunch of chocolate isn't good.

It does nothing positive.
    Nothing possitive?
    Well, it makes people happy... thats positive, isn't it?
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    In the game of numbers, calories in vs calories out rules everything so if you're in a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight.

You can lose weight eating nothing but chocolate, you just wouldn't get much of it before you hit your daily calorie ceiling because chocolate is pretty calorie dense. It would probably bring about other health issues to do with the sugar and the insulin response, but you'd still lose weight if that was your only goal.

So I say if you've got the calories to spare, go for it!