Diastasis Recti & Tummy Tuck - Advice??

Options
I am a couple months shy of my 27th birthday (April) and seeking consultation from a Plastic Surgeon via referral from my MD on Friday. Here's why:

While pregnant with my 1st @ 17, I gained 67lbs... I went from a size 3 juniors to 14/15 women's. My stomach took one heck of a beating. I was able to lose all the weight, slowly (over the course of 4 yr) and my belly went back to semi normal.

During the pregnancy of my 2nd child in 2008, I had started off the lowest I've been since High School. I was a roomy size 4 and 119lbs. I gained 9lbs almost immediately, putting me at 128lbs when I was 8 weeks pregnant. I quit working out due to modified bedrest and gained 48lbs. I was all belly, so it stretched quite a bit. Stretch marks now cover entire lower abdomine, just above pubic bone. I worked out really hard & nursed him. But I was never able to lose the last 10lbs.

I then ended up gaining another 10lbs ontop of it. I was 148lbs when my 3rd pregnancy started.

I gained 35lbs and carried it all over; arms, butt, thighs, boobs. I now have stretch marks on my outter hips and above the belly button. I stepped on the scale today and I am back to 148 again!! I have 14 more pounds I want to lose.

My problem is that I was diagnosed with Diastasis Recti (separation of abdominal wall) during my 2nd pregnancy. It got worst with my 3rd. I cannot get the stability back in my core for the life of me, nor get rid of the hanging pouch of skin.

My MD referred me to a surgeon. The consult is this Friday.

If they approve my surgery, they'll be repairing the abdominal wall & doing a Tummy tuck for all the excess skin.

My question is... has anyone ever had this done?? For this same reason??

Also, how did you feel immediately after the procedure? How long until you recovered? And what did you do as far as taking care of your children?

I worry Bc I am a stay at home mom of 3 young children.

Any advice and/or information would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks everyone!

Krystal

Replies

• jereibold
    jereibold Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had a Tummy Tuck October 2008, Love it!! My belyl is so flat! I carry my weight in the love handle back area! I want lipo next!! Good luck
  • jereibold
    jereibold Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My recovery was easy. I could not sleep flat for about 3 weeks, Slept in a recliner. You will need some help with small children. I don't mean to scare you, I did get a blood clot. I was active did not sit around at all. The reasons they gave me for getting it was, I smoked and took Birth control. If you need some more info, You can e-mail me at butterflyxo72@aol.com. I have some before, DURING, and after pictures I could email you
    Jennifer
  • msfitmom_3
    msfitmom_3 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Jennifer, thank you so much for your info/experience. I am so very nervous. I made the mistake today, googling Tummy tuck and am now freaking out about the scars. Another woman told me it took her a good 6 months to fully heal. I'd love to talk more about your experience and see pictures. You can email me at luvmybugkay@yahoo.com :)

Thank you so much again!!

Krystal
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi Krystal I teach Pilates and I come across this quiet a bit. Has your doctor told you the extent of the separation? its normal in pregnancy to get a 2 finger separation, this is a gab the width of 2 fingers. I've heard of a 2 hand separation which required surgery and a tummy tuck.

Pilates can help repair the damage and tighten up the tummy muscles. Have yo tried this? One of the most intensive classes are on the reformer classes. It might be worth looking into if the gap isn't too large.
  • BeFitMom
    Options
    Have you tried rehab exercises to close your mid line? In all but the most extreme cases of diastasis recti, surgery is not necessary.

To rehab diastasis recti after pregnancy, you need to start by building A LOT of strength back into your deepest abdominal muscle, your Transverse Abdominis, or TvA. When contracted, the TvA compresses the abdomen. (The TvA does not move bone.)

Then after this muscle has regained adequate strength, you need to do specialized postnatal rehab exercises that train the muscle to function properly as a stabilizer. All of these moves should be done with lower spine flexion. If your mid line is very wide, more than 3 finger-widths, you can also add manual splinting of your mid line with your hands to assist your TvA.

In the mean time, do not perform ANY abdominal exercises that lift/flex the upper body off the floor or against the force of gravity, as these moves will make the condition worse. No crunches, oblique pulses, roll-ups, roll-downs, most Pilates mat work, and yoga moves like “boat pose.”

All women with diastasis should use the “log roll” technique when rising from the floor, or getting out of bed to protect their mid lines.
    BeFit-Mom
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I just had this exact procedure done 2.5 weeks ago. I mainly did it to get rid of my excess skin that would never disappear, the muscle repair was a bonus. I had a 1.5- 2" gap in my muscles. The first week was hard, but not much pain. I was off narcotics by 3 DPO. No advil after 6 DPO. I started standing and walking straight right at 2 weeks. I cannot lift anything more than 12lbs, so if you have young ones that need to be lifted for things, you will need help with that for the first 6 weeks. My doc has cleared me for light exercise, elliptical and bike at 2 resistance, walking on TM at any incline I please. I can start a light jog in 2 weeks.

My recovery has been really easy, in fact, better than my c-section recovery....it's just longer.

If you haven't yet, check out realself.com great website with pictures of real women, stories, and Q/A.

My tummy is flat, and I am beyond please with my results! :)
  • Amybcb
    Amybcb Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am planning to have this done for the same reasons as you. My best friend did it about 4 years ago and was beyond pleased with the result. Yes the scar is long but if you had c-sections they use that scar (I've had 2 c-sections so I'm not worried about that). I had another friend who also had the procedure a few years ago (she had twins and her stomach was a wreck). She also loved the results. My bestie did mention she wished she waited longer as her youngest was so little and it was hard to recoop with a young one.
  • Wyoruby
    Wyoruby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I plan on going in the end of Mach and getting this done. I'm not sure how badly my muscles are seperated but I can tell you that when I do not have my muscles engaged or as some say sucked in I look like I'm 4-5 months pregnant. Don't let others who think it is unneccessary talk you out of it sometime those muscles can not be fixed without surgery!! I hope you are lucky enough to get it covered by insurance since depending on were you live and who you go to it can be expensive. Mine is not covered and it will cost us about $6500 dollars. If you want you can friend request me and I will keep you updated on how everything goes.
  • bmorin747
    bmorin747 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, I am on my 6 day post op of having a full tummy tuck and I gotta say I heard horror stories and my own mother law said the pain is unreal! I got to admit I do have a high pain tolerance and I have had 3 c sections and when I woke up From my surgery walked right out of recovery straight for the bathroom to go pee!
    The pain is no worse than having a c section just the recovery time is longer, I was even able to stand up straight the first day! The really only difference is that you feel tight in your upper chest!
    I was told by my surgeon that I had a 5 cm tear in my abdominal wall and very thin tissue that he had to put three layers of stitches to hold everything together and because of this I need to be extra careful than the average tummy tuck recovery. The sad part of it is I feel fine with no pain and it is hard not to want to do more as I have 3 kids to attend to but I have to listen to the doctors orders.
    I am still really swollen and I am happy that my overhang is now gone! The worst part for me is these dam bulb drains they get in the way and they are bulky!
    After my surgery I was released to go home after 6 hours and throughout the night I was only able to pee about a teaspoon and my bladder was feeling very full, so my hubby drove me to the ER and I went home with a catheter inserted for the next 48 hours! My surgeon told me that this does happen but very rarely, so be aware that it might happen to you!
    So I highly recommend a tummy tuck, the pain is no more than pain of a c section just longer recovery, and you will feel tightness in your chest! Good luck!
    I can't wait to see what my tummy looks like in 6 weeks