Help me solve a MYSTERY

Options
cln714
cln714 Posts: 174 Member
Ok, this has been bugging me for a while now. There's this lady at my gym that I would see walking the track every so often. A few weeks ago I was the only one on the track which I was happy about because I was doing the C25K and was doing the first longest run and I didn't need any distractions. Then SHE showed up. She walked around the track once in the inner lane then when she got to about the 1 o'clock position she turned sideways (facing the outer lane) and just STOOD THERE... for a good 15 mins!!! Needless to say, it was totally distracting. I eventually decided to use her as a marking point to countdown how many laps I had left.

I thought that she probably was just doing whatever she was doing because I was the only on there and she wasn't getting in anyone's way BUT the other day the track was very busy and she did it AGAIN.

THE MYSTERY: WHAT THE %#@& WAS THIS LADY DOING???? Also, in your opion, is it inappropriate to be doing it at the gym even if there's only one person there.

On a side note: I see this same woman in my Zumba class. Before class begins she stands with her arms stretched straight out on either side. I assume to claim her area. :grumble:

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    How strange. I have no idea why someone would do that.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    No idea at all. I can't imagine any specific workout plan that would involve standing still for 15 minutes... :huh:

It certainly would distract me as well though. It's not only inappropriate, but it's not allowed at my gym. There's even a sign posted that you walk or run or get off the track. Well, it's worded nicer than that but it basically says that if you're not involved in activity, leave the track so you don't interfere with other members.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Gosh...I just have nothing nice to say about this. There are a couple ladies at my gym who stop, chat and drink their water on the track instead of stepping off. People are just oblivious, I guess.
  • Pams_Shadow
    Pams_Shadow Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It's a voodoo ritual. I've seen it practiced several times at my gym. Basically, the ritual ties the spirit of the person exercising to the spirit of the gym. The gym spirit pulls the burn from all the people exercising in the gym and distributes a portion of the calories burned to the person invoking the ritual.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm totally joking. The lady is probably just a ding-bat! :noway:
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    It's a voodoo ritual. I've seen it practiced several times at my gym. Basically, the ritual ties the spirit of the person exercising to the spirit of the gym. The gym spirit pulls the burn from all the people exercising in the gym and distributes a portion of the calories burned to the person invoking the ritual.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'm totally joking. The lady is probably just a ding-bat! :noway:

Okay, I totally just LOL'd at work! :laugh:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    How utterly odd?!? Her personal ritual? I dunno. I do think it's inappropriate to be stopping in the middle of the track and just standing there... I would say it was an episode of some sort, except that it seems to be on purpose and frequent!
  • cln714
    Options

Okay, I totally just LOL'd at work! :laugh:

I DID TOO!!!!
  • cln714
    Options
    Ok, so maybe it's not a voodoo ritual.. LOL but the only thing I could think it would be is that she might be praying. I thought maybe she needs to be facing in that direction. But still.... not at the gym. I'm sure, me jogging by every so often would be distracting while praying.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    yeah that's weird, and the praying thing would be weird too since its not like you can't schedule your walking AROUND that. Maybe its actually some kind of mental disorder like ADD and she literally just zoned out there?
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You're a better person than I.

I'd have been way too tempted to poke her. Gently. Right in the middle of her forehead.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

I'd have been way too tempted to poke her. Gently. Right in the middle of her forehead.

With my palm. Until she fell over backwards.
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    On a side note: I see this same woman in my Zumba class. Before class begins she stands with her arms stretched straight out on either side. I assume to claim her area. :grumble:

...at least she's not peeing to mark her territory! :laugh: :noway:
  • shaj316
    shaj316 Posts: 161
    Options
    she sees bruce willis?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Is she doing mindfulness meditation maybe? Still shouldn't be doing it in the middle of the track though.

The arms out thing is even weirder. I wonder if she's a sufferer of OCD?

Why not just ask her nicely what she's doing?
  • FoRizzleB
    Options
    LMAO!! Reading your post made my day.. haha
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options

With my palm. Until she fell over backwards.

Oh, there goes my water...
  • KLK1986
    Options
    Could she have some kind of mental disturbance? Could she be high-functioning autistic? There are sometimes unseen reasons why people do things, but those things make perfect sense to them.
  • KaiteeKarrot
    Options
    you could always just ask her? It might help, as i'm assuming the more you wonder/ponder/obsess about this, the more she/thesituation irritates you. I have a woman like that at my workout class and I realised by focusing on the sh** she does to irritate me I'm only ruining my own workout, which is usually my best stress reliever. So, instead, I just work a more intense workout and realized her behaviour is out of my control, but mine is my own.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Bringing down her heart rate? Having a stroke? Muslim prayer time? Masturbating covertly?
  • MrsWife2011
    MrsWife2011 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Gosh...I just have nothing nice to say about this. There are a couple ladies at my gym who stop, chat and drink their water on the track instead of stepping off. People are just oblivious, I guess.

Agree. Just try to ignore her you will always encounter these people, pisses me off, use the adrenaline to run faster or longer :)