Exercising while sick(flu)?

Options
I am just wondering if anyone exercises through a cold or just rests? I currently was sick all night and my stomach is in a great deal of pain so i have been laying around all day(called off work). I normally only allow myself 1 rest day a week and this will be my third.

Replies

• Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    In your case, I would rest! You're not going to do your body many favours by forcing yourself to exercise when it is already likely to be low on electrolytes and fluids.

If you desperately feel like exercising, then by all means go for a nice walk, it'll keep you moving without having you keel over!

I've recently had a cold and continued to go to the gym through it, which just made me realise how difficult I was making things for myself, trying to exercise when you can't breathe because of congestion isn't a very good idea!

(Get better soon!)
  • GoArmy867
    Options
    Thanks for the advance ;) but tomorrow its game on for me lol
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    If the symptoms are from the neck and up, continue to workout. If the symptoms are below the neck as well, then rest and get better.
  • corimeyers24
    corimeyers24 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can tell ya it sucks working out while sick ive been sick for a month off and on but im doing insanity and dont want to get behind schedule so i push through but its a miserableworkout and im glad when its over..... so u can rest or dont rest it just depends on how week you are plus i drink a gallon of water a day to keep fluids up
  • mizz333
    mizz333 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're sick. But I would definitely go with the advice above and rest it out or take it real easy..
    I once nearly passed out in the gym cause I felt so sick and just had to run... and that was only a head cold.

Just be very careful, if you feel you have to work out. You might recover fully quicker if you rest it out now, rather than make it worse by trying to push yourself.

But either way, mind yourself!! :) And get better!
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Rest rest rest. I like to use a rule I once read in Runner's World, if the symptoms are above the shoulders you can give it a shot. However, if it's anything below, take time off & don't feel any guilt for it.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    If it was just a common cold, I would say work through it with a little less intensity. In your case, I would say allow yourself to rest, as long as that may be. You work out to take care of the body right? Sometimes we have to allow ourselves to heal by taking time off. That way when you come back, you will be 100%. I looked this up last month when I was wondering when to work out when sick or not and this is what I got:

Viral infections, such as the flu, can cause temporary muscle weakness. This includes the muscle cells in the heart. Exercising won’t cause a heart infection. But a heart weakened by a viral infection could be hurt by strenuous exercise. Go low (low intensity) and go slow (short duration). If you feel any shortness of breath, this is not the time to push it.

So when you do get back into working out, don't go all out, build up over a few days. Chill :)
  • GoArmy867
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice, since i got much needed sleep I am feeling alot better. I think I will still take it light and if i still feel good in the morning then run it up.