ways to curb hunger?

Options
I am always hungry!! It is SO hard to be below my calorie goal. Any tips for what helps for curbing hunger?

Replies

• Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Water. Drink water before and after a meal. Drink it when you get up. Select foods like oatmeal that fill you up. Also go to bed early.
  • monicagellarbing
    Options
    Coffee works for me sometimes but I have the same problem a lot!!
  • mikehesse
    Options
    Hello! Protein, Protein, Protein is the answer - in my opinion. I am a low-carb type dieter and I find that a big, high protein (very low sugar or carbs) meal or snack fills me up and keeps hunger away.
  • davidplatt1
    Options
    I agree. Water is the key for stop craving.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I am always hungry!! It is SO hard to be below my calorie goal. Any tips for what helps for curbing hunger?

Judging by your food diary, you need to eat more fat and protein. Thats what keeps you full.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Coffee
    Fruity gum
    Tea
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You could try Green tea, that works for me
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Eliminate all simple carbs and sugars. Eat lot's of clean protein and fibrous veggies. Give it a week or so doing this. Cravings will be gone.
  • jwenick
    jwenick Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    First...you have to figure out...is it REALLY hunger? Or are you just craving something (sugar...or salt?). I can eat an entire meal and still feel "hungry". I've found that indulging in a little chocolate (key being LITTLE - kisses are good, only 20 calories each!), or a few crackers if I need that salty "crunch", followed by lots of water, then waiting 20 minutes, usually gets me over the hump.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Get enough sleep, drink enough water, eat enough fiber, protein and fat. FYI chia seed is low in calorie and high in fiber, works pretty well for me when I sprinkle it on other foods.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Water and fruit
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Judging by your food diary, you need to eat more fat and protein. Thats what keeps you full.

Bingo!
  • Spunky50
    Spunky50 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when we think we're hungry we really are thirsty. My advise would be to drink lots of water and keep high protein snacks, fruits and veggies handy to curb your hunger. I struggle with hunger too, hope I helped you out some. Hang in there weight loss is a journey, make it as pleasant as possible. Good luck!!
  • themartins1
    Options
    Thanks for the water REMINDER! I know I often eat when I'm only thirsty. Goal....Glass when I get up....before and after each meal...before bed. Thank you.
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It seems like you're not logging everything, so I don't know if this advice is meaningful, but you don't have to be WAY under your calorie goal--and in fact, it's not good to be below it when you're set at 1200 calories, which it appears that you are. Netting under 1200 on a regular basis isn't all that productive, especially if you're hungry, 'cause then you're less likely to stick to it!

That said, what others said about water and protein is true. Also, foods that are high in fiber are good, and foods with high water/low calorie content like many non-starchy vegetables help you to feel full without going over your calorie goal.
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    -Chia Seeds!
    -Flax Seeds
    -Egg Whites
    -Celery
    -Chicken Breast/shrimp/salmon
    - Protien Drinks
    - Water! (Before/After Meal time)
  • halpinj1
    halpinj1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    drink a TON of water. it gets easier with time. just keep chugging and you'll notice a difference, promise.
  • aimeeang
    aimeeang Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! here are some ideas

any examples of clean proteins?
    chicken breast
    milk low fat is 80 cal
    laughing cow low fat cheese is 35 cal
    eggs (microwave) 70 cal

anything i should avoid?
    artificial sweeteners
    diet cola

not sure if this is right so feel free to correct me, thanks
    i struggle with the same problem...always hungry. i am increasing my calorie allowance so i lose 1/2 lbs instead of 1 lb a week.

thank you for all the advice and for posting this thread
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello! Protein, Protein, Protein is the answer - in my opinion. I am a low-carb type dieter and I find that a big, high protein (very low sugar or carbs) meal or snack fills me up and keeps hunger away.

This has worked really good for me too^^^ and yes lots of water!!
  • stormtrooper73
    Options
    totally agree with most of the posts here..water is a good way to block those hunger pains, someone also mentioned green tea..carrot sticks are another one i nibble at now and then..........good luck with your goal ...all the best stu (stormy)