Any inactive folks?

Options
Are any of you inactive? Perhaps you're wanting to start working out? If so, do you mind if I ask you a few questions for an assignment I have? I'm training to become a personal trainer and I could use your help. THANKS!

Replies

• kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have been inactive since summer of 2011. Is that long enough?

I am about to start BootCamp at the end of the month.
  • paulaGetshealthy
    Options
    Thanks for volunteering, but I'm actually looking for someone who has been inactive most of their lives or for the past few years.
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've been relatively inactive since the beginning of 2009(mostly just walking between classes and that kind of thing, no extra exercise). Before that I was fairly active a good part of the time.
  • plohden11
    Options
    Ok, so I am probably your candidate. I just joined a gym last Saturday but really don't want to pay for a personal trainer. I am 46 and and at least 100 pounds overweight. I have not been "active" since high school. Just walking around the parking lot at work on my break is difficult. I have a very low producing thyroid and a bad knee. I started an water aerobics class but it only meets 2 times a week and because of my work schedule I can only go once. Help!
  • danda77
    Options
    I've been inactive my whole life.I went through a brief phase of running in university, but it was only a few months, lol. Let me know how I can help :)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I had an illness that kept me inactive for 7 years and I didn't do too much when I got better. I am currently going to the gym alittle more to become healthy again. I lost most of my weight by eating less and not exercising. I tend to take long breaks from the gym because I get sick or hurt and then become demotivated. I am worried about the lack of exercise effecting my overall health. So I am now trying to work out 3 times a week and build from there, I started doing this in December, then stopped for a couple of weeks because I hurt my knee. Starting to go back to the gym, hopefully today. Generally I would say I'm inactive.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    sure, i've been inactive since i was a kid. lol
  • TromaRon
    TromaRon Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Inactive off & on most if my life. Now inactive due to back problems. Ask away.
  • Judway
    Judway Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    hi
    i am inactive due to spasms was confined to bed for 4 weeks...walking a store was impossible..let me know how i can help
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've been largely inactive for the last 10 years (since graduating high school). Over that time, I had short, 3-6 month spurts of activity (dance classes, a gym membership) that put all together would equal about a year and a half of being active, spread out over the 10. Dunno if that's inactive enough for you, but I'm game if it is.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I've lived a sedentary lifestyle my entire life. It's the way I grew up and have continued to live. I do want to change that.
  • ChrisCherro
    Options
    Hi, I have been pretty inactive all my life. Worked behind a desk for over 15 years, my favorite hobbies are reading and quilting, not to much activity there. I'm about 65 lbs overweight and finally made the decision to do something about it. I am just starting to work out (not sure anyone else would call it that) but I am trying. Any help I can give you I will do so gladly. I've only started mfp about 12 days ago, so not quite sure how the forums work, but let me know if I can help. Chris
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Don't know if I'm any use. Not 100% inactive now but I barely moved as a kid, I now work an average of ten hours a day sitting continually at a desk. Plus my hobbies involve me sitting using my laptop even in my spare time. Started my healthy lifestyle 15 months ago but still 'sedentary' for the most part - I just walk my commute and exercise on weekdays.
  • ionamorgana
    ionamorgana Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am inactive but not my choice. I have asthma and it has been really bad the last few years. I am NOT used to only doing low impact exercises and oftern push myself too hard. (which makes me go down for days recovering.) Do you have any ideas for low impact exercises besides walking and swimming??
  • Caper85
    Caper85 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I live a shut-in life & at present I'm sedentary. Please add me & maybe I can help you answer some questions. BTW, I have like over 300 lbs to lose.

Tony
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have been sedentary all my life... grew up in a great family but never exercised. My parents eat everything in moderation but sports were not important nor was any kind of physical activity except for maybe an occasional walk or playground visit. I grew up in a large city where we walked or took taxis most places, so I suppose I got some exercise that way, but otherwise I have spent my days sitting or standing and HATE to exercise.

My favorite thing to do is eat ice cream and read... or watch a great movie. My husband and I are movie buffs, and once we get the kids to bed we like to watch movies or TV shows we DVR'd. I used to have to eat a lot of snacks to keep myself awake cause I'm so tired after working and being a mom all day long!

However, at 42, last month I began my new lifestyle plan, and am exercising faithfully every morning at the gym and watching my food intake. I feel I need to lose about 25-35 lbs. I don't look particularly fat but I have accumulated some rolls around my middle and I definitely want to be healthier. I'm about 5 weeks in and have lost about 5 lbs so far, and am thrilled to be staying consistent with my exercise and diet. Of course I have had to change my late night habits, too... I'm going to bed around 10 pm every night and getting up around 5:15 to go to the gym, so no more night bingeing and movie watching!