HELP! Ive been working so hard on my diet and exercise and i

Options
WHY IS THIS HAPPENING! HELP, I JUST CANT SEEM TO LOSE THE WEIGHT BECAUSE I WORK HARD AND MAINTAIN THE SAME WEIGHT OR I END UP GAINING IT BACK!! does anyone know what I should do? How can I help?

Replies

• Are you sure you are woking hard enough? Tell me what type of cardio you are doing and how long...Details! Also are you strength training and if so what are you doing. Are you eating the correc amount of calories. Give me the details and I may be able to answer your question. Keep at it takes time!
  • kburzon12
    Options
    well two weeks ago i started going strength training at the gym and mostly cardio on the elliptical. I also swim competitively on a team which i would do 3 or more times a week. I was also doing yoga. Now, i still go to the gym but the swim season just ended so i no longer have that and i dont do the yoga as often. my diet has remained the same over the whole time, its moderate and i dont binge or anything, but i thought that those two weeks of exercise would amount to SOME weight loss. I just dont understand how im gaining weight when the only thing thats changing is the fact that im exercising back at a normal level (like 3 times a week at the gym)
  • fishymike
    Options
    Me too!! I've been busting my *kitten* in the gym everyday for the past two weeks eating ****in salad!!! Salad blows!! It's very hard but I'm gonna stick with it!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    How much do you eat daily?
    How tall are you?
    What are your Macronutrients set to?
  • Thanks for writing back and please give yourself a nice hug for the wonderful effort you have put into your health. Wow the swim team that is awesome.
    I can really hear your frustration in the words you write and I get exactly what you are saying.
    I believe that the food part of myfitnesspal tells you how many calories you need to consume a day as well as fat, protein, carbs and so on, so I will leave the food part alone and follow what this site has recommend. Always think well balance, and what fits into your lifestyle as far as preparation. If it is to time consuming for you, well you may fall off the wagon. Also, maybe give yourself one day a week to have a cheat, really it is OK. There is a huge spectrum when it comes to eating, the best is a diet that consist of raw and organic, the worst those who eat only fast foods and then there are all those places in between. You need to find your in-between!
    As for exercise…If you are strength training then you should be gaining muscle and because muscle weighs more then fat it may appear for a while on the scales that you are gaining weight. You should do a fat comp (at the doctors or the gym) because it will tell how if you are losing fat and muscle or gaining, it is a ratio that you need. Spend some time studying this on the internet and stop going only by the scales. Understand that it takes time to change your metabolism, (the rate in which you burn) this can be really hard if you have been a yo-yo dieter, so give the metabolism a chance to kick in. You may have spent years training your body to be a bit sluggish so it make take a few months to turn things around.
    Another important factor is mixing up your cardio, you should not do the same thing every day. I would be interested to know what you have for equipment (bike, treadmill, Stairmaster, elliptical, stepper and so. Keep the body guessing by mixing things up.
    Remember when all that was need was 20 minute of exercise a day. That went out the window a long time ago. I find that my clients have the best success when they do 45-60 minutes 5 days a week. If you can do that then do 30 minutes but do some intervals and/or some hill work to really work harder in a shorter amount of time. You should b sweaty and breathing a bit heavy, but still be able to talk in short bust.
    Of course I say all this but this is only if you do not have any physical problems that could harm you, so it is always a good idea to check with your doctor and or a trainer. Please don’t just get up in the morning and do everything I suggested, your safety comes first. Having a fitness assessment at a gym is a great idea to see exactly where you are.
    In order to stick with a program it is important to look at your obstacle and anything that would sabotage your will power. Make sure you find all the reasons to do this for you, make a plan and find a good support system…Always know you are never alone!
    Call on me anytime!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Thanks for writing back and please give yourself a nice hug for the wonderful effort you have put into your health. Wow the swim team that is awesome.
    I can really hear your frustration in the words you write and I get exactly what you are saying.
    I believe that the food part of myfitnesspal tells you how many calories you need to consume a day as well as fat, protein, carbs and so on, so I will leave the food part alone and follow what this site has recommend. Always think well balance, and what fits into your lifestyle as far as preparation. If it is to time consuming for you, well you may fall off the wagon. Also, maybe give yourself one day a week to have a cheat, really it is OK. There is a huge spectrum when it comes to eating, the best is a diet that consist of raw and organic, the worst those who eat only fast foods and then there are all those places in between. You need to find your in-between!
    As for exercise…If you are strength training then you should be gaining muscle and because muscle weighs more then fat it may appear for a while on the scales that you are gaining weight. You should do a fat comp (at the doctors or the gym) because it will tell how if you are losing fat and muscle or gaining, it is a ratio that you need. Spend some time studying this on the internet and stop going only by the scales. Understand that it takes time to change your metabolism, (the rate in which you burn) this can be really hard if you have been a yo-yo dieter, so give the metabolism a chance to kick in. You may have spent years training your body to be a bit sluggish so it make take a few months to turn things around.
    Another important factor is mixing up your cardio, you should not do the same thing every day. I would be interested to know what you have for equipment (bike, treadmill, Stairmaster, elliptical, stepper and so. Keep the body guessing by mixing things up.
    Remember when all that was need was 20 minute of exercise a day. That went out the window a long time ago. I find that my clients have the best success when they do 45-60 minutes 5 days a week. If you can do that then do 30 minutes but do some intervals and/or some hill work to really work harder in a shorter amount of time. You should b sweaty and breathing a bit heavy, but still be able to talk in short bust.
    Of course I say all this but this is only if you do not have any physical problems that could harm you, so it is always a good idea to check with your doctor and or a trainer. Please don’t just get up in the morning and do everything I suggested, your safety comes first. Having a fitness assessment at a gym is a great idea to see exactly where you are.
    In order to stick with a program it is important to look at your obstacle and anything that would sabotage your will power. Make sure you find all the reasons to do this for you, make a plan and find a good support system…Always know you are never alone!
    Call on me anytime!

O.O
  • Brook70
    Brook70 Posts: 164
    Options
    BUMP!
  • samatalma
    Options
    It's been 2 weeks. Seriously. Give it some time.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    To me you look to be a healthy weight which is great.

Just keep at it, don't see diet and fitness as something you need to do to get somewhere and then dump, see it as a lifestyle change.

I do know how frustrating it can be, I've been working hard at this for over a month and haven't had a big loss, nowhere near what was predicted but that's just me. It's worth seeing the predicted loss as a guideline and not a guarantee though.

Just keep up the good work and good luck!
  • Angie0rtiz
    Options
    You should measure yourself. Strenghttraining builds muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat so that can be a big reason why your scale isnt showing you what you want. A strict diet is great but make sure your getting enought protien and carbs in your diet cuz if you dont then instead of working on losing fat you can burn muscle.

I wish you the best of luck, and although your not seeing hat you want DONT Give Up! keep up the good work!
  • mlc3409
    mlc3409 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    well two weeks ago i started going strength training at the gym and mostly cardio on the elliptical. I also swim competitively on a team which i would do 3 or more times a week. I was also doing yoga. Now, i still go to the gym but the swim season just ended so i no longer have that and i dont do the yoga as often. my diet has remained the same over the whole time, its moderate and i dont binge or anything, but i thought that those two weeks of exercise would amount to SOME weight loss. I just dont understand how im gaining weight when the only thing thats changing is the fact that im exercising back at a normal level (like 3 times a week at the gym)

if you have cut out some of the exercises you were doing you MIGHT want to cut your Calories by like 200. If you are eating the same things over and over your body has adapted so you need change it up. Maybe have a binge day of proteins and some carbs to get your body started again. ONLY ONE DAY though. Also if you are doing strength training then you are most likely going to be losing INCHES more then weight because you're swapping muscle now for the fat. SO as you lose the fat in areas you're building muscle SO you will not see much of a weight change on the scale only in your clothes.

We all hit a plateau at times. you will get through it .
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I smell something fishy:huh:
  • mlc3409
    mlc3409 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You should measure yourself. Strenghttraining builds muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat so that can be a big reason why your scale isnt showing you what you want. A strict diet is great but make sure your getting enought protien and carbs in your diet cuz if you dont then instead of working on losing fat you can burn muscle.

I wish you the best of luck, and although your not seeing hat you want DONT Give Up! keep up the good work!

The Myth that fat weighs more then muscle is just that A MYTH They weigh the same DUH!! A pound of fat is still going to equal A Pound of Muscle the only thing that you will notice is that a pound of fat is larger on the scale then the pound of Muscle.The Muscle will look leaner and takes up less space that is why you see it in INCHES over POUNDS
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    WHY IS THIS HAPPENING! HELP, I JUST CANT SEEM TO LOSE THE WEIGHT BECAUSE I WORK HARD AND MAINTAIN THE SAME WEIGHT OR I END UP GAINING IT BACK!! does anyone know what I should do? How can I help?
    Who knows?
    Open your diary, and if my suspicions are true, you're on a super low calorie diet.
    That's my guess.
    You are going to fail with this approach.

Starvation diets don't work.
    Why?
    Because if your calorie deficit is too great you can easily suffer from
    loss of muscle mass (slows down your metabolism) and impaired general progress.
    You have to find what is right for you but you also need to remember that your body
    is a machine and without the right type and amount of fuel there could be problems
    either with loss of muscle, loss of energy, less weight loss/plateaus, etc.

Stick with the MFP recommendations.

Again, that's just a guess, and I suspect a good one.
    Again, open your diary.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Who knows?
    Open your diary, and if my suspicions are true, you're on a super low calorie diet.
    That's my guess.

Why?
    You have to find what is right for you but you also need to remember that your body
    is a machine and without the right type and amount of fuel there could be problems

Again, open your diary.

What he said.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    your body will take a good three to four weeks to adjust to ANY new diet and exercise routine so give it more time. Make sure you're eating a healthy amount of calories too- MFP's too low in my opinion.
  • jennh726
    jennh726 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling!! I gained over 30lbs this past year... never been close to the weight i am now and i'm having such a hard tome losing it!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Give it some more time. Open your diary as suggested. Just because you are not doing swim team doesn't mean you can't still swim, right?
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Who knows?
    That's my guess.

Why?

Again, open your diary.

What he said.

This is what I was going for but the 2 post nutritionist book writing club came along!
    Flower anyone?
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Who knows?
    That's my guess.

Why?

Again, open your diary.

What he said.

Agreed.

Until we can see what your diary says it's hard to give an educated opinion. Sounds like you're doing a lot of exercising but if you're not eating the calories you're supposed to plus at least some of your exercise calories, you may not be eating enough.