Running shoes

Options
I need some suggestions for running shoes. I just started back running, have SUPER high arches, and get sore knees and hips (horseback riding for too many years). Any suggestions? I'm not against spending some money on them, but don't really know what everyone thinks is a good brand/shoe/etc... Suggestions?

Replies

• lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump, wondering the same
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Everyone here can tell you what works for them, including myself, but the best person to help you decide what kind of shoe you need is the person that works at your local running shoe store. They will watch you walk, run, and how you stand, and suggest a couple types for you to try on, and you'll pick one based on your personal comfort.
  • anewme99
    Options
    you MUST go to a store that specializes in running/sports shoes and have a fitting done. It is free and the will measure your feet in several dimensions (including your arches), then they fit you in the proper shoe. You do not need to buy the sneakers there (usually expensive-but not that much more than a good running shoe would cost anywhere else)
    if you do this your experience will be much better and you will be more likely to prevent injuries, aches pains and quitting because it does not feel good.
    the store in the new England area is called runner's alley, but I am sure there is something in your area
  • melrose09
    Options
    you MUST go to a store that specializes in running/sports shoes and have a fitting done. It is free and the will measure your feet in several dimensions (including your arches), then they fit you in the proper shoe. You do not need to buy the sneakers there (usually expensive-but not that much more than a good running shoe would cost anywhere else)
    if you do this your experience will be much better and you will be more likely to prevent injuries, aches pains and quitting because it does not feel good.
    the store in the new England area is called runner's alley, but I am sure there is something in your area

THIS THIS THIS!!! And even if they can't match a shoe to your foot, they can customize inserts for you so they will be a perfect fit. Good luck!
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that everyone will chime in with the shoe that worked for them, as well as the strong suggestion to go to a running specialty store for a thorough evaluation to make sure that you get the right shoe for you. That's going to be the bulk of your responses, and when it comes to shoes, is excellent advice.

I'm going to throw out there that giving some barefoot running a try costs nothing, and has been the answer for many who found running to be difficult because of shin splints, knee pain, hip problems, etc, until they bit the bullet and said, "What the heck, might as well give it a go." Barefoot running is the reason I run!

There is an awful lot of excellent minimalist footwear out there. There is a list of reviews at http://barefootrunners.org/product-review-list to sort through some of that. I personally have the VFF Sprints, for use when some type of footwear for running is necessary, and I've been pleased with them.
  • lucasnjewels
    lucasnjewels Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Let's say that I do end up at a running specific store (which I happen to have down the street) how much am I looking at spending? Ball park?
  • klhinrichsen
    klhinrichsen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    good pair of running shoes typically run between $80-120. Correct shoes is the most important so it is money well spent. Good luck.