BINGE EATER. HELP !

Options
has anyone here ever felt this way before?
ok so you eat good all day but come night you eat one bite of icecream..this turns into 2 bites then 3 then 4 then 5 and so on..before u know it half the box is gone. then ur rading the cabinets and eat everything in sight. your so full but u keep eating. and u do it in provate becauses ur embarassed..then after about 2 hours of eating you feel like your going to throw up and your soo mad u ate all that and depressed. this is so crazy but ever since a tragic event hit my life, ive been doing this for a few days out of the week for about 2 mths now and have put on 10 lbs. i beleive this is a disorder but pls help. how do i overcome this?

Replies

• AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I do exactly the same!

My solution is not to have any junk food or even food that is easily opened and eaten that is high in calories. Still get like that but I have this thing that before I have anything that is not on my plan I need to finish my 1.5L bottle of water, I usually feel so full that I couldnt possible eat any thing! plus water helps me lose weight. I also keep only fruit and veggies that can be eaten with out peparation, and usually I cant be bothered making something. hope it helps. You are not in this alone, we are all trying to find a new way of living. I am feeling better and stronger every day, hope you do to!
  • beezoo
    beezoo Posts: 2
    Options
    i totally feel ya! lots of people do this and they dont even know why.....u know its not bc you are just hungry or bored. a lot of the time you feel like your out of control and you eat a lot faster than normal. but dont beat yourself up over it, you can change things. it sounds like u are a cumpulsive binge eater, as are a lot of people. but the difference with u is that u know that theres more to it than just a night craving. its more about emotions and self image.....i am a cumpulsive binge eater and have been working on it for quite some time. some days i do really well and every once in a while i still fall of the wagon (usually its when i have a bad day,sad,mad etc.) but im doing much better and you will too now that you've started to figure it out. hang in there!
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have TOTALLY felt this way before and I actually believe the opposite from MissMessy (no offense though :smile: )....I DO NOT believe that you should limit yourself or tell yourself that you CAN'T have certain foods....I used to try that for years and sooner or later, you find that when you tell yourself you CAN'T have something..you want it even more.....:sad: I agree that fruits and veggies are awesome! I love them too! They are great for you....but, there are going to be times in life where those veggies just ARE NOT going to cut it....( I am currently at 30 pounds lost before this website and 35 with, so, I know what it is like to "crave" things)

The thing with "dieting" or this "new lifestyle" change that you want to make is that you don't cut anything out that you TRULY love. :love: You love ice cream....good!! You love chips....sweet!! You love chocolate....go for it!! You love mac 'n cheese...eat it!! You just need to make sure that if you want to keep these things in your life, you must be sure to have things organized....

When I buy Doritoes, I put them into bags of a serving size, which is 12 chips...that way, when I want to grab a snack, I grap a zip lock bag with 150 calories instead of a WHOLE huge bag with about 1500 calories. Or you can put your ice cream into tupperware containers in your freezer of a serving size. That way, you don't have the whole thing in front of you to eat. You only have a serving size. There is a HUGE difference.

One thing that I find helpful is eating great throughout the workday...about 450 calories...and then you have room to grow at night.....

Just a couple options!! Good luck!! :smile:
  • AlmostHot
    AlmostHot Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Its ok, I agree, I eat what I crave to, but I dont keep them in the house, I have to go out and buy it if i really want it :laugh:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I have been having this problem with ice cream lately. As a matter of fact, I had 2 cups of rocky road tonight.....and was just about to go back for another 2 when I saw your post..........I have bananas and peaches......I am gonna go have some water and then in 1 hour if I still want something I am gonna eat a peach..........

Thank goodness you posted this right now......

Hang in there. I am with you right at this moment.......................
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You have to work on changing your mindset. There's really no way around it...avoid the temptation. Tell yourself that all of that food is not going to solve anything, fix anything or cure anything- in fact, it's only going to make everything worse.

Overeating is a compulsion...or an addiction, and you just have to find the strength to not give in, and if you do give in, work on not giving in the next time...and the time after that.

I'm trying to overcome the same thing.
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Michelle, & I am an overeater!hehe :laugh: No seriously, I went to an overeaters anonymous group a few times. It is an eating disorder I found out. Most people over-eat... but bingers go crazy ugly & take it to another level.:noway: I would eat everything in the house....and was stuffed but still looking. I was ashamed of how I ate and what I looked like! :embarassed: I would do fine for a couple of weeks, then something would happen and I would just snap! I would eat too much it would make me literally sick. :frown:

I have been on an "binge-fest" for 3 years...ugh ...but have been binge-free for 4 mths now! :bigsmile: :drinker: It REALLY helps me not to have my "trigger" foods in the house b/c if it's not there I wont eat it! The longer I go w/o binging the easier it gets. There was this saying b/w the girls in the group...."It's not the whole chocolate cake you have to resist, it's the first bite!" SO true. When you are first starting out.....you just need to stay away. It's like an addict. But...as time goes by you can re-train yourself to learn portion control. They say it takes 27 day's to create a habbit...I believe that!lol Oh, and I learned about these groups from Oprah's online club :wink:

I am slowly allowing me to have some of my trigger foods...b/c like I said it DOES get easier to stop!:wink:

Good luck girlie & stick with it! :flowerforyou:
  • Casfaye
    Casfaye Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yea, cravings are the worse.
  • Casfaye
    Casfaye Posts: 13 Member
    Options
  • hungrybear
    hungrybear Posts: 45
    Options
    I am so glad you posted this because I was about to post one here about my binge eating at night too!
    I just started binge eating two weeks ago. I am not sure is it due to stress. I feel like I started doing this when I told myself to eat healthier and limit myself on what I can and cannot eat. Sometimes, I feel like it's because I think I eat lighter during the day, so it is okay to eat more or have some of whatever I want/ like at night. Then one bite of yummy goodness triggers the whole eating nonstop reaction. I would eat even when I'm beyond full...hard to breathe and such. I'm glad I'm not the only one, and hopefully, we can all battle this temptation together!

Thanks for posting and all the tips everyone!
  • mizphit
    mizphit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You have to work on changing your mindset. There's really no way around it...avoid the temptation. Tell yourself that all of that food is not going to solve anything, fix anything or cure anything- in fact, it's only going to make everything worse.

Overeating is a compulsion...or an addiction, and you just have to find the strength to not give in, and if you do give in, work on not giving in the next time...and the time after that.

I'm trying to overcome the same thing.

I completely agree with this, and it's incredibly difficult to 'start' managing it. I finally succeeded with 'day one' last night and I'm just ecstatic that I was strong enough to do so. A couple more days like that under my belt and I know it will get easier. I also started a workout routine this week finally and I know that will help keep me stronger.

I have the same binging problem and have been struggling for a long time with it. I do perfect all day with my plan and drink plenty of water (4-5 liters a day) but still after my last meal of the day I find myself wandering the kitchen stuffing things in my mouth.

I am a food addict and am trying to work this one day at a time. I also am trying to replace the bad behavior with something positive. A hobby...exercise...a new "no more eating by the computer" rule...

"Today I will not eat after my evening meal unless it is a planned snack."

That's what I told myself yesterday, and I'm doing the same thing today. I also have to keep this simple phrase in my head at all times---even though it tries to escape quite frequently:

"Food is NOT a hobby!"

I'm working real hard at this and am bound and determined to show a loss on my ticker next week. The only way that's going to happen is for me to stop the binging---the rest of my day is nearly always perfect.

Thanks for posting this....maybe us 'night time bingers' can band together.....
  • MimerT
    MimerT Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I find total deprivation makes me want MORE. Usually I can be satisfied by a small taste but sometimes I have this great compulsion to eat too much. I could teach a nutrition class on portion control. My biggest problem is just before dinner after I've been "good" all day. I have found lately though that eating what I really like through the day (I'm talking about healthy stuff and correct portions here) I am less likely to want to snack at night. I save calories for a snack after dinner and I have something 100-150 calories which could be a 1/2 c of Breyers Double Churned mint choc chip with a Hannaford's cone (150 cal)
  • pinksultana
    pinksultana Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    i think dealing with why you binge is the first real step to a lifestyle change....coming from a reformed binge eater - i used to binge at least 4 to 5 times per week (hence my fatness), and after a lot of talking therapy and self relaxation and dealing with issues I have not had a binge for a little over 9 weeks to date!!!
    Something just clicked one day for me about what purposes bingeing was serving for me, and each day i need to continue to serve that purpose in a different way so i dont fall back to bad habits!

xxPINK
  • mizphit
    Options
    i think dealing with why you binge is the first real step to a lifestyle change....coming from a reformed binge eater - i used to binge at least 4 to 5 times per week (hence my fatness), and after a lot of talking therapy and self relaxation and dealing with issues I have not had a binge for a little over 9 weeks to date!!!
    Something just clicked one day for me about what purposes bingeing was serving for me, and each day i need to continue to serve that purpose in a different way so i dont fall back to bad habits!

xxPINK

I think that's a very good point! I think my main problem is that I have many, many stresses in my life. Some I can control and some I can't. I think me starting to work out again will help me deal with many of them. The rest I have to keep reminding myself to turn them over....

I commend you for having your binges under control! Nine weeks is incredible!! I plan on saying that about myself in 9 weeks.....I know I can do it---I've done it before.

I also agree with Mimi on not depriving yourself totally. This is in fact a lifestyle change---not a temporary fix. If I told myself I could never have gooey brownies again I don't think I'd be very motivated.

I also have to train myself to stop at just one. For now I don't have them in the house because even if I portion them and freeze them into little squares, I simply grab 5 of them. Until I'm a little further along and know I can handle taking just one, I'll leave them at the store.
  • pinksultana
    pinksultana Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Mizphit - i look forward to you letting us know in 9 weeks how well your doing. And your right - total deprivqation wont help....one step at a time!
    Each day things get easier, and look more positive!!

xxPINK
  • vdaisyh
    vdaisyh Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm new to this site, but not new to binge eating. In 2007, I lost 60 pounds. Then I went on a 15 month binge, gained 70 pounds within that time, and here I am starting again. It took me until I was 30 years old to realize I was a compulsive overeater and why I binge; and I binge anyway. However, since starting MFP two weeks ago, I haven't binged. I think counting calories allows me to "budget" foods I want in appropriate portions and helps me not go overboard. Also, this time I have learned very quickly that exercise helps me not to binge. I often find myself in a vicious cycle of eating "badly" during the day (breaking the rules) and then binging to punish myself. Exercising helps me cope with things instead of food.

My worst time to binge is between dinner and bedtime. It can really turn into a free-for-all. I have started making myself a hot cup of herbal tea with Splenda to sip during this time. The warmth in my tummy helps me not binge. It might work for you.

Also, I just bought the book "Overcoming Overeating" at CVS yesterday. It's an old book, but has several interesting ideas that fit me.

Lastly, as I looked around the message boards last week, I stumbled upon Viviakay's blog. She is amazing, and her blogs have helped me these last two weeks more than anything else. I strongly suggest you give them a read.

:smile: Daisy
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hey I am in that situation right now. I guess I don't have the answers I was looking more for solutions. My only way to control my bad eating at night is to just not have it at home and with a husband and 3 kids that is tough. They want their ice cream, cookies etc. Granted I have all the good stuff too, and we eat a lot of fruit but I have been so bad lately that I gained about 5 lbs in the past 2 weeks. I am desperate for change and getitng into eating smaller healthier portions but my mind set is just so off lately. Any advice out there to jump start good behaviour and how you stick with it?
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just wanted to say that Binge Eating is actually a condition that many folks seek professional help for. I am in graduate school working on my doctorate in psychology, and this is not a will-power thing, it's something many people need extra help with. If you feel out of control, it might be time to see a professional who can give you some help that is scientifically supported -especially if you know your eating is caused by stress or a traumatic event.

This site is all about being healthy, but of course, health isn't just about your body, it's about your mind and spirit too. There is a strong connection between the two. Thanks for everyone sharing, I really appreciate the honesty in these posts, and I just hope everyone can be the healthiest and happiest them. :flowerforyou:
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    Binge eating. For me one thing that triggers it is not eating enough, then I feel it is my body going into starvation mode and when I get near a temptation food it says "EAT, EAT!!" lol. But I have learned to drink a glass of water, or indulge in a small taste. Because everyone knows the guilt you feel after a binge totally overpowers the happy feeling you get when eating. good luck!
  • mizphit
    Options
    Binge eating. For me one thing that triggers it is not eating enough, then I feel it is my body going into starvation mode and when I get near a temptation food it says "EAT, EAT!!" lol. But I have learned to drink a glass of water, or indulge in a small taste. Because everyone knows the guilt you feel after a binge totally overpowers the happy feeling you get when eating. good luck!

I know one thing I've always noticed with me when trying to lose weight----hunger is my enemy. If I wait too long to eat and start getting to that desperate stage where I just 'have' to have food it's a very dangerous time and can trigger bingeing. I try to never let myself get there. I eat 3 basic meals and healthy snacks in the afternoon. If I'm hungry, I eat but choose healthy crunchy veggies dipped in hummus or a yogurt. I plan these in between snacks and can still stick to my calorie limit---usually.

My problem though, is when I binge I'm not hungry. Not at all. It's usually right after an incredible healthy and satisfying dinner. It's a nasty habit that I'm working on replacing healthy habits with.

Beth is right when she says that it can be a condition. I never believed I was an emotional eater until I started paying attention to it. A very good friend of mine (who also happens to be a weight loss buddy) also has a doctorate in psychology and we've discussed this. Because of the many stresses I have, it's forced me to hash them out and mentally deal with them. I was doing great for awhile and last summer I was only 10 pounds away from goal....

Instead of asking myself "Why am I bingeing again?" , I asked, "What is eating ME?" Once I was able to really sit and think about it, I came up with this mile long list. I analyzed each thing one at a time and thought about what I could change, and what I couldn't and went from there.

I probably should do that again. Although I did have a binge-free night last night (first one in WEEKS), I'm stressed again this morning over one of the things I 'can't' control...... which means I have to turn it over......