______, Its what's for dinner....????

Options
So I am making dinner for my family on Friday. They are not totally into the calorie counting like I am. All the food we make is homemade and fresh, just not always calorie friendly. Do any of you have any suggestions as to what I might make for them this Friday?
Thank you in advance if I use your recipe!

Replies

• lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Quinoa as a side dish. Just put lots of bacon in it, and they'll think it is rice-bacon. Ok, that doesn't really exist.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    need more info!

What would you usually make?

Salmon is always a big hit here - broiled with lemon & capers, served with rice & veg.
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I have never in my life made quinoa? I have heard of it, but don't even have any in the house!
  • SmexAppeal
    Options
    And I am not a huge fish eater. I used to like it, but then one day just decided it was too "fishy" lol. I have made salmon burgers before and those were delicious. I am thinking along the lines of something with chicken. I will probably end up going to my fave website for recipes, skinnyrecipes.com. But any suggestions are welcome. I know I have some spaghetti squash that needs to be cooked, any suggestions on making some without loading it down with butter and salt??
  • cooter2533
    Options
    Bourbon street chicken and some brocoli and rice, so. Yummy
  • eudemonia
    eudemonia Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    my roomie baked some chicken drumsticks and they were delicious! she put in some oregano, some adobo seasoning, soy sauce, pepper, chilli pepper, and some olive oil. you can serve that with some sauteed spinach and rice =D. and a scallion omelet!
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I love a Southwestern Bake. My husband also likes it.
    1 lb lean ground beef
    3 cloves garlic
    1 onion, chopped
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    2 (15oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 (8.75 oz) cans whole kernel corn drained
    1 (16oz) sour cream, I used light
    2 cups fresh salsa
    5 cups crushed plain tortilla chips, I used corn tortillas instead they are alittle better I think
    3 cups shredded cheddar, you could use fat free or 1/2 and 1/2

Preheat oven to 375
    Brown ground beef with garlic and onion. Drain
    In large bowl combine the meat mixture, chili powder, black beans, corn, sour cream and salsa. Stir until well blended.
    Into a 9x13 in. baking dish spoon enough meat mixture to cover the bottom. Arrange 1/2 the chips or tortillas on top and layer with 1 cup cheese. Repeat ending with last cheese.
    Bake for 40 minutes

It serves 9 according to the recipe but I think its more. We loved it and I will be making it regularly.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    It's a tough question to answer without knowing you or your family and their tastes. For something more traditional, why not do a roast chicken or something, it can be really lean and healthy, with oven roasted veg - yum.

or chicken breast, stuffed with your favourite ingredients for a little extra fanciness :) with steamed veg and sweet potato mash.

The options are endless. If you are worried about catering for a family dinner and not eating according to your own goals, I find the best way is to make a big dish (or several dishes) - like can be done with the roast - then you can dish yourself as much or as little of each item as you want! Win win!
  • SmexAppeal
    Options
    Thank you all for the amazing suggestions. I like the roasted chicken idea. I do believe we have one as well. You can't go wrong with a juicy, beautifully seasoned roast chicken! Just remind myself... STAY AWAY FROM THE SKIN!!! NO NO!!!!
    Appreciate your help in the matter!
  • freeasharold
    freeasharold Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I oven cook my spaghetti squash, just pierce some holes in it. Depending on the size 45 minutes at 450 usually works. Then I just add Spaghetti sauce with a little parmesan :) With your roasted chicken on the side, sounds like a good meal to me! You could even lightly dust the chicken with a bit of corn meal and whole wheat flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper before baking, and with the Spaghetti squash it could almost be like chicken Parmesan! You could even grate a little low fat mozzarella on top. Yum.
  • SmexAppeal
    Options
    Meal DECIDED :)
    Roasted Chicken, salt pepper and some fresh thyme and lemon under the skin.
    Spaghetti squash roasted, then removed and added in with sauteed onions, garlic and tomatoe. Toss with Parm and olives.
    Salad made with romaine and baby spinach (going to make one of my homemade dressings recipes)
    If all turns out well I will blog with pictures and recipes :)
    Here's to happy and healthy eating!!!
  • rhorae
    Options
    This sounds Delicious. Thank you for Wharing...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Bourbon street chicken and some brocoli and rice, so. Yummy

Mmm That sounds yummy!