I can't decide if this site is right for me...

Options

Replies

• clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    It took me a month or so to get used to finding the foods I usually eat. It doesn't have to be exact, just close. Like tonight we went out to a local independant mexican restaurant. I selected the chicken enchiladas from a national chain, On the Border, that had been entered by another MFP user with some confirmations, and called it good. Don't get caught up in perfection.

You are having success. You have already lost 3 lbs. If you feel frustrated, take a day off and then come back.
  • FitSid
    FitSid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    if you feel like you are obsessing over calories you might be susceptible to developing an eating disorder.
    please be careful
  • klhinrichsen
    klhinrichsen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows what they ate and drank for the day. The problem is not knowing how much calories they consumed or simply ignoring the numbers and this site helps. If one person said they ate a sandwich well that might not seemed much but if that sandwich was loaded with 6 bacon and triple layer of cheeses and majonnaise, etc. well, that would be a lot for one meal-maybe enough for two. If you want to lose weight, you must keep track of calories and watch what you eat/drink. Exercising allows you to have more calories to consume so this does help motivate me at times.
    You have to decide if you want to finish what you've started and if you are, you have to buckle down, keep on track, lost the weight, so you can then increase your caloric intake to maintain. You can't stand at the start line wishing to finish the race without doing the work in between to get there. It's a journey many have taken and many on this site are succeeding so far so it can be done. Anyone can do it but only if they are 100% committed. You are at the fork of the road.....
  • xtroidanarymachine
    Options
    I feel the same way. Well not about counting calories...that is a MUST...but about the time it and being on this site consumes. I went off for a while becvause of time, and almost immediatly fell back into my bad eat whatever I wanted with no exercise ways. Needless to say, here I am a few months later 10 pounds heavier!!! I could dry about that...

But I'm back and I know that logging your food and exercise is def a good thing, because it holds you accountable for what your doing to your body. Def get the fone app and just log when you can. This time around Im not going to spend as much time reading and commenting on blogs, because that too eats up time. I'm a mom of 2, I work full time, and go to school full time so yeah I def understand the time thing, but the food and exercise logging is worth it. Especially when you see you got 200 more calories a day because of exercise, and still have some left over at the end!

Good luck with your journey!
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Looking at your profile you indicate that you binge eat and I think that falls under the category of having an eating issue.

If this site is stressing you out then by all means, you should stop logging on. You are 18 years old and you need to deal FIRST with your binge eating and then you can focus on other changes...I wish you nothing but health and happiness. :flowerforyou:
  • vaugdds
    vaugdds Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your frustration. This afternoon I only had 175 calories left for my dinner. I knew that was not going to work. So , I got motivated and jogged for 50 minutes and cashed in on 475 calories. I ate a good dinner and had some dark chocolate for desert. It looks like this tool empowers you to take control of not only your intake but also your exercise routine. It is all a matter of perspective.
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    ...I'm just being a baby because staying under my calories is too difficult, and it would be easier not to bother.

Without wanting to sound rude, yes. You can keep a food journal all you like but if you don't know the calorie content and nutritional breakdown of the foods (and drinks) you are consuming, it will be a lot more difficult to succeed.

My advice would be to stick at it for a little while - once you build up lists of your commonly eaten foods, recipes etc, logging really is a snap! Once you are educated about what you are eating enough to go it alone then great, but this is a great tool to help you learn.

I agree completely with this! Knowing the foods you ate and knowing what is in those foods are two totally different things! Tracking your calories really does get easier as time goes on. This has been one of the best tools I have found to continue on my journey!

But if you decide counting/tracking your calories is not for you, stay with the site anyway, just don't track your calories. There is so so so much information you can benefit from! And the people are wonderful and supportive! I am so very happy I found MFP! Good luck to you!
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    I can relate to your frustration. This afternoon I only had 175 calories left for my dinner. I knew that was not going to work. So , I got motivated and jogged for 50 minutes and cashed in on 475 calories. I ate a good dinner and had some dark chocolate for desert. It looks like this tool empowers you to take control of not only your intake but also your exercise routine. It is all a matter of perspective.

Good for you! Way to take control!!! That is how you get it done!!!!!
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    What helped me stick with this is I had the site figure my calorie goal for all weight loss goals 1 lbs 1.5 and 2 lbs and I strive for the 2 lbs calories but don't exceed the 1 lbs calories so that I continue to loose weight.
    I also look at my exercise calories as bonuses that I can use or not as long as don't go under 1200 net calories
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I really love the idea of having friends to help keep me motivated here online, but I feel like tracking calories like this is too stressful. Everytime I go over, I feel bad, and I feel like it is making me obsessive over every little bit of food that I eat. Does anyone else feel this way? I can't figure out if this site is actually not for me, or if I'm just being a baby because staying under my calories is too difficult, and it would be easier not to bother.

I also love reading the message boards on here and looking through my newsfeed thing, but I feel like this just makes me spend a large block of time thinking about weight loss, and it stresses me out

I was thinking of just keeping an actual journal of my daily food intake, but not tracking the calories alongside it. Any thoughts on this idea?

TDEE is a very important and calming number.

I know that with MFP set to 2k daily ill lose weight.

I also know that TDEE for me is 2500 so ANYTHING below this is weight loss.
    No stress!
    No stress=weight loss!

Dont overthink this ****!
    Just cut calories and research and have fun!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I slowly lost around 25 pounds by not tracking my calories. I focused solely on eating healthy foods. My goal was to get in 2-3 whole grains, at least 3 servings fresh veggies, at least 2 servings fruit, at least 70 pounds protein, at least one healthy fat, and at least 60 oz of water a day. My theory was that if I focused on giving my body the nutrients it needs in the correct amounts, that I would eventually reach a weight that was healthy for me. I also focused on listening to my body's signals and eating when hungry, stopping when satisfied. If I was working harder and was more hungry, I'd eat more protein and maybe an extra grain.
    My journaling was strictly to see that I was meeting my nutritional needs and to keep my "treats" in check. Yes, I occasionally ate fast food or birthday cake. In moderation!
    And do you know what? It worked. I am finally in the "healthy" BMI range (after years of being "overweight" and even "obese" at times.)
    Maybe Weight Watchers is more for you? Their new formula for counting points doesn't even include calories; it calculates carbs, protein, fat, and fiber instead. If counting points is too much like counting calories, there is a plan where you don't have to count points as long as you stick to the "power foods" (lean meats, whole grains, all fresh/frozen fruits and veggies, some dairy.) If you want to eat foods that aren't on the list, you have a weekly point allowance for those. IMO, it's a good way to teach eating healthy foods in moderation.
  • myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, a lot of people spend their time feeling depressed about what they aren't eating when trying to change habits, so I tell myself that logging everything is far better than staring sadly at the pantry or eating well but feeling sorry for myself; in the past those things led me to give up. :smile:

Oh, and to actually address what you asked, I hope that you continue to track calories; this would be good for keeping an objective look at what you're taking in, as the inability to be truly objective got at least some of us (well, me) in trouble in the first place :smile:
  • ladybug1951
    ladybug1951 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was surprised the first day that I entered what I had eaten and found I had eaten approximately 2700 calories! I attempt to stay within the calories but really when I do exercise seeing the extra points I can eat and I like the calulation at the end of the day that tells me approximately how much I will weigh in 5 weeks if I keep it up. It does make me think more about portion sizes and that is good. I look at the calories but do not obsess and if I go over some I know that I have tomorrow!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    If seeing red numbers freaks you out, then you can always set up your diary in a different way. If you set up your goals for maintenance (choose "stay the same weight") then you can still log your food and then you get to choose what your calorie deficit is for the day.
    If you eat exactly that number you should stay the same.
    If you eat more you will probably gain weight.
    If you eat less you should lose weight. MPF calculates numbers using 500 cals/day = 1 pound of weight loss per week so you can use this as a guide to how much under you are each day.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Edited to delete.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I suffered for years with an eating disorder (not sure you ever completely get over them, though I am MUCH better now). For the first few months on MFP I only tracked my exercise because I tend to obsess and stress. (However, I didn't lose weight until I began tracking calories.) One size does not fit all. This may not be the best method for you, but give it a month and see if you can handle it. Don't worry overmuch about staying under your calorie goal at first. Just concentrate on being accurate. Then you can look at it objectively and say, "If I avoided eating<insert high calorie food here> for lunch every day and ate <insert favorite low calorie food here> and took a 10 minute walk instead, I would be under my calorie goal each day without trying too hard."

Good luck and best to you!

4466044.png
  • MoLove2025
    MoLove2025 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've kept a food diary multiple times.....one where i just wrote down what i am eating and then later i actually started counting the calories in the food. I found that calculating calories yourself can be way more stressful then logging on MFP looking up what you ate and clicking add. I must say i'm blessed to have found this website. I actually found out about MFP threw my blackberry by looking up an app for my phone to track my calories. I didnt even come to the actual website until a week later. Once i did that it seems like thing just worked....the friends i have give me the necessary support i need and MFP keeps track of all my food and activities without to much thinking needed.

I was once told try something new for 30 days if it doesn't work or you are not enjoying it then you can make a decision to stick with it or move on afterwards. So i suggest you give it your full effort for 30 days and if it still seems stressful to track then dont use it anymore.

I feel you will love MFP once you are in the grove of things. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR GOALS!!!!
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is the place for someone with an eating disorder - its great that you have admitted it, that's the first important step, now share it with someone you can trust, yr mum, an older friend, a dr. I am worried that this site will just make you more obsessive. good luck with your journey to a healthy life :)
  • Beckgiles
    Options
    It took me a while to get used to it.Once I did and once I had some of my FB friends on here too it got a lot easier and became less of a chore. Also once most of your favorite foods are stored it is a lot easier. One thing that really helps me is to pack my breakfast lunch the night before during the week and sometimes I even go ahead and log it the night before because I know if there is something I don't eat I can delete it pretty easy.
    Don't think of it as failing if you have a day or two that you go over on. It is a work in progress and you are still benefitting yourself by educating yourself about what is healthy and what isn't. I can tell you for me I know of at least two days a month where I won't even make a real attempt to stay within my calorie goal. I bet you can guess when that might be. Lol. Same with the gym. It is about overall big picture being healthier, not perfect every day.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I just started a little bit ago, so I'm still trying to decide if this is going to be a good fit for me, too. Historically, probably because of an eating disorder when I was younger, every time I started counting calories I turned dangerously OCD and completely lost my appetite. It was like the act of counting the calories tripped a switch in my brain. I expected that this time, too. I was really nervous about even trying it. But I've found that for some reason... maybe just time and age, this is working better for me. I think partly because I'm tracking thins like fiber and protein, too, and focusing less on calories and more on balance.

Another big thing for me is that I've pushed myself to be as objective about my results as I can. Instead of eating what I want to write down, I eat exactly what I want, record the results, look at it objectively to see how I could make positive changes, and then try to make those changes. If I decided to eat 6 Reese's Peanutbutter cups, I would eat them, write it down, and then look to see how that choice affects the rest of my diet, my overall nutrients, and how I feel.

Before, what I ate would have determined if I had a good day or a bad day. I'm trying hard to take the moral judgment out of it and look at my diet with as much objectivity as I can.

I got tired of listing things like Maple Nut Goodies or Cold Stone Creamery Cheesecake Fantasy ice cream under "snacks", and added another category of meals called "Crap I Shouldn't Have Eaten". Not a completely judgment free sounding category, but it is what it is!

You might learn some interesting things about your diet if you can open your mind to the possibilities and not get shut down with concerns about failure. For instance, one time I learned that if I went nuts and ate all the Reese's I wanted that I actually didn't go over on calories that day... turns out that eating all that saturated fat (or something) kept me satisfied and my total calorie consumption that day was on the low side. Of course, other than the calorie count, the day looked like a disaster... practically nutrient free and very calorie dense. Not a good way to go. But I learned something from it.

Maybe start out thinking of this as an experiment, not a report card. See what your eating and how it relates to how you feel. What gets you closer to the sort of nutritional balance you want, and what moves you away from that balance. This is a tool, not a angry disciplinarian waiting for you to slip up.

That said, if it is causing you undue stress and preventing you from finding happiness, drop it. Try it out later. Things change. This may not be the right thing for you now.

Shannon