Did being in an unhappy marriage keep you fat?

Options
I'm curious to know if this has been the case for anyone.
I realise that being in a sad/ bad/ dead marriage has psychological repercussions and cou ave physical ones too.

Did your unhappy marriage hinder your weight loss?
Did you escape? What happened tp your weight?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    In my first marriage I lost weight while I was miserable because I never wanted anything to eat. When we divorced I gained weight as my happiness increased. When I started dating my current husband my weight went up even more because we were going out to eat a lot. Then we both realized we'd gained 20 lbs and needed to get on the ball, so we've been losing weight together.

Different people respond in their own way to emotional situations, but I think as long as you're counting your calories you should be fine. My weight fluctuations happened because I was lazy about tracking my food. Good luck, and if this is your situation I hope things improve for you soon. Remember that getting healthier can help you feel better in general, so if you're feeling depressed exercise and healthy food might help. :flowerforyou:
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this.
    Very interesting.
    Anyone else care to comment?
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options
    Actually I took it out on the treadmill and weights. They never saw it coming! Started competing to get away, and the marriage did not get better.

We are both better off now (divorced). That being said we did try to make it right, or I did anyway. Divorce is terribe, but I managed to get over it. I hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • melrose09
    Options
    I'm not a professional, but I was looking into this the other day for a friend and stumble upon a lot of interesting and sometimes opposing information. Here are a few of the articles I came across. Interesting stuff!

http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweightsuccessfully/a/cortisol.htm

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=53304
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Not marriage, but an unhappy long-term relationship. At first when it was really bad I ate my unhappy feelings and couldn't manage to lose weight because I was so miserable.

Then I turned it around and started starving and exercising my feelings away. Equally unhealthy, probably, but I lost a good 40 pounds that way before I moved out and ditched the guy.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Sort of...at one point in my marriage, we were both miserable, and adding to each others' misery. We had no energy to go out and be active, or to cook healthy foods...it was just a matter of trying to get by. In that respect, yes, my bad marriage contributed to my weight gain (so did school, work, and my own laziness). When we separated, I became very selfish and self-centered, and had a great deal of anxiety, so I quite purposefully indulged when I ate. I binged and starved out of spite for myself and my failed marriage. It was...actually really terrible. I mean, I wasn't gluttonous or anything, I was just making bad choices and couldn't care less. After that really horrible period wrapped up, though, I started realizing that I needed to take care of myself better.
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Melrose, very interesting links.
    Thanks again for the experiences shared.
    Any more?