Quinoa?

Options
Kelekat
Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
Does anybody have any good recipes for quinoa? I bought some the other day and rather than using an internet recipe, I'd like to try something that is someone else's tried and true (especially if your kids liked it).

Thanks! :bigsmile:

Replies

• jeni636363
    Options
    Check out this website and look under "exciting entrees" There are a few here...
    http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/mystory

Also, I have a quinoa salad recipe with kale, butternut squash and a homemade vinaigrette dressing. If you are interested post on my wall, or send me a message with your email and I can forward it to you!
  • gem_angel
    Options
    i just made some carrot cake quinoa muffins and they turned out pretty good. found it at domesticfits.com

1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup cooked quinoa
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/2 cup fat free sour cream
    1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
    2 tbs raw honey
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 egg 3/4 cup carrots, peeled and finely grated
    1/4 cup of rasins
    2 tbs chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350.
    In a large bowl, combine the flour, quinoa, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking powder. Make a well in the ingredients. In another bowl, combine the sour cream, apple sauce, honey, egg and vanilla until smooth. Pour the wet ingredients into the well you made in the dry ingredients. Stir until just barely combined, a few lumps is fine. If you over mix, your muffins will be tough. Add the carrots, raisins and walnuts and stir until just combined.
    Grease 6 wells of a muffin tin (or line with muffin papers). Pour evenly into the 6 wells, about 2/3 full. Bake at 350 for 18 minutes or until the top springs back when touched.
  • clwatlington
    clwatlington Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    gem_angel..that sounds really good! I think I am going to try those!
  • rachelpries
    rachelpries Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Quinoa Quiche

There are a lot of things you can do with quinoa, but this baked quinoa recipe is one of the easiest and tastiest! Feel free to add in other fresh vegetables and herbs you have on hand, or toss in a handful of your favorite dairy-free cheese alternative or tofu for texture.
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 35 minutes
    Total Time: 50 minutes
    Yield: 6 to 8 servings
    Ingredients:
    • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
    • 2 cups water
    • 1/2 t. salt
    • 1 1/2 cup fresh broccoli florets
    • 4 large eggs
    • 1 1/2 cup plain coconut milk
    • 1/4 t. Freshly ground pepper
    • 5 Baby portabella Mushrooms
    • 8 slices of red or orange bell peppers diced
    • ½ tsp onion powder
    • ½ tsp of dried red pepper
    • 1 roma tomato
    Preparation:
    1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 9" pie plate or casserole dish and set aside.
    2. In a medium-sized sauce pan over medium-high heat, combine the water, quinoa and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Turn off the heat and fluff the quinoa with a fork.
    3. Meanwhile, beat the egg in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the coconut milk and pepper, whisking until combined. Mix in all other ingredients except the roma tomato. Place the quinoa in the prepared casserole dish. Pour the egg mixture over top, mixing gently. Slice roma tomato onto the top of the quiche. Bake for 60-75 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Allow the baked quinoa to cool for 10 minutes on a wire cooling rack before cutting into slices and serving. Serve hot.
  • rachelpries
    Options
    Quinoa Seed Salad
    In a sauce pan:
    1 cup quinoa
    2 cups water
    Bring water and quinoa to a boil then reduce and simmer until water is absorbed
    Prep:
    2 T coconut oil
    1/3 cup yellow onion (diced)—allow to set for at least 5-min for maximum health benefits
    4 cloves of garlic (diced)—allow to set for at least 5-min for maximum health benefits
    8 dried apricots (diced)
    ¼ cup of a combination of yellow and green bell pepper
    ½ cup red onion (diced)
    ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley
    ¼ cup fresh cilantro
    4 large basil leaves (cut into pieces)
    ½ t sea salt
    ½ t ground pepper
    ½ t crushed red pepper
    ½ cup pine nuts
    ¼ cup hemp seeds

In large skillet:
    On medium-low heat, heat coconut oil. Sauté yellow onion and garlic until transparent. Add apricot. Cook while mixing constantly for about 3-minutes. Add bell pepper to sauté for 3-minutes.
    Remove from heat;
    Add quinoa. Mix thoroughly. Add all remaining items. Again mix thoroughly.
    Let set for 10-minutes before serving.
    Serve with a fresh sliced roma tomato on a bed of coarsely grated cucumber.
  • rachelpries
    Options
    By the way the Quinoa Seed Salad makes 5-1 cup servings...I put in the database and it has under 400 calories
  • ps2bfit
    Options
    Here's a tasty healthy snack recipe using quinoa

Greek yogurt cup with quinoa crunch & berries

For the quinoa crunch:
    1 cup quinoa
    1/4 cup flaxseed
    1 Tbs honey
    1 Tbs olive oil

Preheat oven to 375. Place quinoa in a mesh strainer & rinse under cold water until water runs clear. Drain well, shaking strainer to get out as much water as possible. Empty quinoa into a medium mixing bowl. Add the other ingredients and mix until well combined. spread the mixture in a thin layer onto a rimmed baking sheet & bake until lightly brown (10-15 min), stirring once. Transfer crunch to a plate to cool. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week. Makes about 2 cups or 8 servings.
    Per serving of crunch: 131.2 calories, 5.2g fat, 3.8g protein, 18.3g carbs, 6.1mg sodium.

For the Greek yogurt cup (1 serving)
    1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
    2 Tbs Quinoa Crunch
    1/2 cup fresh blueberries, raspberries or blackberries or a mixture
    1/2 tsp honey

Place yogurt in serving bowl, top with crunch and drizzle with honey and enjoy.
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cdtrmom
    Options
    I use quinoa as a substitute for rice. Mostly with Chilli or Curry Dishes.

Am also interested in some salad recipes. - All my cook books are pre-quinoa availability.
  • dpurton
    Options
    bump