Dumb Scale

Options
kingon8
kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
Well I know that I shouldnt but everyday for the past week 1/2 I have been stepping on the scale expecting to see my 2 lb goal per week gone and it hasnt yet. I want to share something I read today with those that may not know b/c I didnt: 2 cups of water will add a lb to the scale, and I drink at least a gallon per day not too mention green tea or milk, or whatever else, so I am sure that this has something to do with it. Also I read that to gain a lb per day you would have to overeat by 3500 calories, I cannot believe that b/c if I go over by 100 or 200 per day I am kicking myself in the *kitten* for it. A question though:

has anyone else done the same stupid thing I have been doing, getting on the scale everyday for a week or weeks and waiting to see it drop for nothing and then suddenly it did?? I guess I am starting to get worried that I am not losing. I dont know what my pre-diet inches were or I would be checking my measurements.

Replies

• kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Well I know that I shouldnt but everyday for the past week 1/2 I have been stepping on the scale expecting to see my 2 lb goal per week gone and it hasnt yet. I want to share something I read today with those that may not know b/c I didnt: 2 cups of water will add a lb to the scale, and I drink at least a gallon per day not too mention green tea or milk, or whatever else, so I am sure that this has something to do with it. Also I read that to gain a lb per day you would have to overeat by 3500 calories, I cannot believe that b/c if I go over by 100 or 200 per day I am kicking myself in the *kitten* for it. A question though:

has anyone else done the same stupid thing I have been doing, getting on the scale everyday for a week or weeks and waiting to see it drop for nothing and then suddenly it did?? I guess I am starting to get worried that I am not losing. I dont know what my pre-diet inches were or I would be checking my measurements.
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    Yes, I did until I heard the same info. and felt a great relief! I only type in my weight once a week, but it is interesting to see how much your weight flunctuates dailly. If you are not getting your weekly goal, then you might need to assess food intake versus calories burned. It is so easy to make mistakes. Good luck to ya!
  • jason7
    jason7 Posts: 20
    Options
    Yeah, its has happened to me. I cut down on my sodium which helped with water retention. I could not lose weight for 3 months. I also cut down on the water (just a little) because I was drinking like a fish.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    My scale is so messed up I don't know what is going on until I go see my doctor, which I do every month. But I feel I have slowed down. The calculator changed my calorie intake from 1290 to 1220 when I entered my weight loss. And it seems like not much is happening since then. Seems like I should lose more with lower calories.:grumble:
  • ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself in the morning?

What's interesting about water intake is that it kind of works the same way food intake does. You have to drink enough water so that your body knows its being hydrated in order for it not to store it. In other words, if you don't drink enough water, your body will, instead of using that water to flush out your system, hold onto it because it's "preserving" itself in case you are lost in a desert some where and there IS no water! The body is an amazing thing. It'll do anything to keep itself alive.

Honestly, I weigh everyday. But I don't put any stock in any weight unless its on my "official" weigh-in day. (Tuesday). I do it simply to keep myself accountable (and because I can't stand the anticipation). The thought process I use is.. "Do I really want to eat that? I have to weigh tomorrow." It usually works.

I would start measuring now and just go from here... I started measuring like a month into my weight loss, so i have no idea what my starting #'s were either.

Anyway, Keep going and keep your head up! As long as you're being true to yourself and exercising, you'll get there!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    My scale is so messed up I don't know what is going on until I go see my doctor, which I do every month. But I feel I have slowed down. The calculator changed my calorie intake from 1290 to 1220 when I entered my weight loss. And it seems like not much is happening since then. Seems like I should lose more with lower calories.:grumble:

I adjusted my calories also about 2 weeks ago. Previously I was eating between 1400-1500 calories. I then adjusted my calorie intake to around 1300 ( per MFP) guess what nothing happened. I went back to 1400-1500 and lost 1.5 this week.
    1220 might just be too low of a number. Starvation mode?
  • natileebee
    Options
    Don't weigh everyday. You're body changes too much. It will just drag you down. Do once a week. Try to do the same day. Weigh in the morning before food and without clothes. Also you need to drink water. Like the other person posted, if you don't drink enough, you're body holds onto it. You should be drinking 64 oz a day of water!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    I have to say I actually do weigh everyday...and I know I shouldn't do it because it can make or break my mood....which is not really mentally healthy!

If you're a female and still dealing w' the issue of a monthly visiter its even worse...especially around that time...but I still torture myself w/ the daily weigh ins....I'm thinking of having hubby hide it and only give it to me once a week lol! aaaah ya, no issues here! lol

hugs!
    Ali
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    You're not alone.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9340-i-hate-my-scale?hl=hate+the+scale#posts-66625

Step away from the scale. Move toward the light.:tongue: