New to MFP... need some friends for encouragement..

Options
Hi, Im trying to loose weight so that I can get control of my diabetes.. About 1 and a half yrs ago I lost my Older brother to this disease, He was only 38yrs old, then last year I lost my grandfather to the same disease, I refuse to be the next victim of this
disease. If I die it will not be because I let diabetes kill me.. that is my determination and motivation.. since I've been diagnosed I have lost 20lbs or so, but now Im stuck at my current weight (165-170) and haven't been able to pass that mark.. this morning I weighed in at 167.. I hope that I can bring that down instead of yoyo'ing back up to 170.. I started doing cardio on tuesday on my eliptical and I really enjoy it.. the only problem is that with the diabetes I have neuropathy issues in my left leg, which only allows me to do only 15-20 minutes of cardio at a time.. but I think that if I do it everyday and keep track of my calorie intake I can loose another 30-35 lbs..

Replies

• gymcholo
    Options
    Hey Man,

You're doing yourself a great favor by taking your self on. Plateuing is difficult but challenging. You are doing a great job! I recently got nailed with my last and final Gall Bladder attack which landed me in the ER for the last and final 5th time. The first time it knocked me out and I was in the ICU for 3 days. And the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th times were just plain and simple dumb planning. I thought I could handle myself and take home remedies to recover but that theory worked until this last one. I was embarassed and now I am taking this diet seriously. One thing that also helped me to lose 20lbs which i recently lost was good eating habits. I hired a nutritionist for $7 month. She and her team have been hooking me up with dinner meals 7-days a week, recipes and a shopping list to Wal-Mart. My plan is low fat. I did not see a diabetic plan, but there are hopeful meal planner apps out there that take the hassle away from having to knock yourself around about what to eat. You may want to give them a whirl, e-mealz.com. But the answer also lies in moral support. God woke me up at 5am to check the weather status and complete my fitness tracker, LOL. He is a mysterious man. I am glad that we are crossing paths and I am writing to you. Consider this an invitation to friend you, keep me posted and don't be afraid to speak your mind. Sometimes, the sugarless coating (no pun intended) is the best advice anyone can get especially from strangers who don't know you. Oh, before I forget. the elliptical is a good trainer. I lost my weight using the stationary bicycle doing strength training at beginner level 1 for warm-up, level 11 to get the sweat rolling on a Nautilus. Give this a whirl. And finally, break up the routine with some other activity, ever try Wii's Just Dance games or their fitness games, they count on MF. Hope this was helpful. Salutations from Washington State.
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hey, Thanks for your post it does encourage me to continue on my path. I will be taking your advice and breaking up my excercise routine, I will be including Zumba dance with my daughter on the xbox 360, I think it will be a lot of fun.. I also borrowed the p90x videos from a friend but I think I need to be a little more fit before I begin them..Any how thanks for your friendly advice. Have a great day.
    Marvin.
  • LisainCornwall
    Options
    Hi, well done for your great start, you are on the right track. Any amount if exercise is brilliant. If you have a prob with your lower body, don't forget to use your upper body.
    Lifting weights up over your head raises the heart rate
    Doesn't have to be too heavy weights either. Good luck on your journey am sure you will do your brother and Grandfather proud.
    There is loads of support on here for everyone :o)
  • vjsavini
    vjsavini Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!
  • ShefMum
    ShefMum Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi there, really sorry to hear about your lost family members. I think you're right you could exercise more than once a day for 15-20 mins couldn;t you maybe?

Take a look at my profule and add me if you like. I'm doing quite well I've just lost 9-10lbs! (Hoping to crack going under 154 soon!).

Sue 8)
  • _LilPowerHouse
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words. I have been on here for a short time but I am finding out that I Love this site and the support from
    everyone else is like no other site that I have been on.. Thanks again and please add me if I haven't already added you..
  • _LilPowerHouse
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind words. I have been on here for a short time but I am finding out that I Love this site and the support from
    everyone else is like no other site that I have been on.. Thanks again and please add me if I haven't already added you..

Oh, and I do my cardio twice a day which really helps out.. thanks for the suggestion! :wink:
  • spluker
    spluker Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi man,

At least you have got something to properly motivate you!

Take care and good luck! :)
  • jillvent
    Options
    I think you're doing great! You have great motivation and I think it's awesome that you're not letting the issues with your leg get in the way of the cardio - 15-20 minutes twice a day is WAY better than nothing. That's actually probably what I get on most days, but I'm trying to break that. Keep up the good work!
  • jmdsfit
    jmdsfit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your family members. I can relate to how you feel. I lost my mom to the same thing and an overall unhealthy lifestyle.
    It's good to see that you want to live differently. Even though I know it can be a challenge to break away from the "family habits/lifestyle"
    Good luck with your journey!
  • _LilPowerHouse
    Options
    Thanks everyone, Your support is amazing.. :bigsmile:
  • ragekage21
    ragekage21 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on trying to outrun your family history. My father died from a heart attack/stroke (not sure which) after living for YEARS with Type-2 Diabetes, which my grandmother also has. I know if I don't get it under control now, I'm in for the same thing.

I'm at the beginning of my journey. Your weight loss so far is inspiring me. We can do it!
  • vjsavini
    vjsavini Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! If you use this website everyday you will see results. I started using this at the beginning of December, Im now down about 13 lbs. Its coming off very slowly, but very steadily. Using this website really opened my eyes to what I was eating. Now im going from just trying to stay under my calorie count, to planning my food and nutritional needs. You can do it!
  • klhinrichsen
    klhinrichsen Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Do the best you can do with any exercise, keep track of what you eat and drink and you will succeed and be healthy.
    Welcome !!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    You can also go to the "Groups" tab and put "diabetes" in the search bar. There are several support groups on MFP. Hope this helps!