Somebody who knows their stuff....help!

Options
I keep reading post after post after site after site, everybody says something different, and I really just want the opinion of someone who really truly knows what they're talking about, someone who knows the FACTS!
I'm trying to figure out how many calories I should be eating to lose 2 lbs/week. My stats are:

I'm 5'5
179 lbs ... (cut me some slack, just had a baby and gained 80 lbs!! Started at 165 and made it clear the heck up to 245 due to thyroid problems, but have been working my butt off and have lost 65 lbs in the last 5 months! )
exclusively breastfeeding

During these winter months I am doing (Mon-Fri) Leslie Sansone's advanced 5 mile walk workout indoors (67 minutes), and then 30 minutes of Jillian Michaels (last month 30 DS, this month Ripped in 30) I do have a Polar Heart Rate Monitor which tells me I burn an average of 950 calories each day.

So my question is...what on earth should I be eating? My doctor said 1500 calories since I'm breastfeeding... online sites say AT LEAST 1700-1800... mfp has me at 1200... Then there's those who say eat your calories back, but if you're WAY overweight, then you don't HAVE to eat your calories back... But I need to be sure I'm eating enough calories to take care of my body and also to produce enough breastmilk for my baby... all the while losing weight. See why I would be confused?

I just need a SMART person out there who knows their stuff to crunch my numbers for me that will get me my results in a healthy way.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out here!

Replies

• beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    A member on here named Helloitsdan can help u, look him up or find him on mine.......very smart and will do the calculations for u, good luck!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I can't promise to be an expert, but here's my opinion:
    As a bare minimum you should be eating the 1200 MFP recommends plus 300 for breastfeeding, plus most or all of what you burn off exercising. Give this a try for a month and if baby is happy and you are losing weight slowly but surely then you know you're on a good thing.
    Really though, as you're breastfeeding you might be better off looking at lower weight loss per week than 2 pounds. I know we all want fast weight loss but you have to put your health and baby's nutrition first.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I think I'd listen to your doctor first for right now, at least. If you're breastfeeding, you need extra calories (and water), so a higher limit is just sensible. (I don't think mfp takes breastfeeding into account, so the 1200 sounds way low for you...for now) First things first...get healthy and keep the little one healthy...and don't worry so much about about the calories for a while.
  • jourelemode
    Options
    honestly, since you're breastfeeding I would start at the higher end of the calorie range that everyone is telling you to eat. If your doctor said its ok for you to eat 1500 calories then you should be "safe"

I would try eating at the higher end, say 1600-1700cals a day and see if you lose any weight with that calorie range. If you're not satisfied with how much you're losing then drop more calories, but don't go below the range your doctor says is safe for yourself and for lactation. Trial and error is the best policy, get a food scale too so your calories will be accurate.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Message Helloitsdan he will sort you out!! :D
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    message heybales...he is trying to set me straight...:blushing:

and that ain't easy!!!! :bigsmile:
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Figuring you at Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) I have you with a Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) as 2210.38 calories per day. If you consume fewer than these calories per day you will lose weight, and if you consume more you will gain weight. For each lb lost per week, you would decrease 3500 calories per week. That would put you at -500 per day, or 1710.38. You want to eat an extra 300-500 calories per day. At 178 lbs, I would recommend 350 calories extra per day as your baby will take about 750 calories a day from you.
  • sportsrn1
    sportsrn1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on the weight you have lost and your baby, and breastfeeding! All amazing accomplishments.
    I would like to offer my assistance, for what its worth. I'm a nurse, specializing in sports medicine. With that field, you learn a lot about nutrition. I have also, been where you have been in regards to weight gain, new baby, breastfeeding, and getting lots of different advice. Since every body is different, I can tell you what's healthy, and what has worked for me.
    First off, remember, our excess weight didn't pop up over night. So, set realistic goals for you. Only you know your schedule, your stress level, and what you need to be sane!. :)
    I would listen to your doctor about the calories. They do tend to know best. Online sites aren't really that accurate sometimes. If your doctor said 1500, I would aim for 1500. It also seems like a happy median for the extreme 1200 and maybe the extra 1700-1800.
    One thing I think is the MOST beneficial, is eating 5-6 times a day, small meals. The reason why, is it will rev up your metabolism. You're body will start to think, "Oh, I'm getting energy all the time, I don't need to hang on to this extra stuff" and it will start releasing the stored fat.
    If you don't get enough to eat, you go into starvation mode, you might drop pounds at first, but you will be stuck at a certain weight, and you won't be able to maintain it. I don't know if you heard about the "eating clean" diet. But, it really is good. We put so much crap in our bodies from processed, prepackaged foods. There is such a confusing mix, do we count carbs? sugar? protein? calories???? It's a lot to think about.
    But if you ate mostly fruits, veggies, lean protein, and healthy carbs, you can easily stay within your goal, and feel satisfied and energized. And, it's easier to maintain, long term.
    Sounds like you are kicking butt when it comes to exercise. Good job. The main thing is to stick with it. You have come so far and already achieved so much.......Let me know if this is helpful or you have other questions. That's my opinion for what it's worth.
    Good luck.
  • MechanicalKid1
    Options
    For now, listen to your doctor.
    Maybe losing weight shouldn't be your main goal right now.
    Just maintain it until your body is fully yours again.
    Right now your baby needs you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how many calories I should be eating to lose 2 lbs/week. My stats are:

You cannot safely lose 2 lbs /week.

Simple as that. You gave enough stats, and your current needs for baby.

Your deficit of calories should come from your normal daily non-exercise activities, those which can easily be given energy from your fat stores.

Below your daily activities is your BMR, metabolism, for the energy needed to help your body live, basic functions of life.
    The deficit should not come from that, or it will just slow down.

Oh, you may get a few weeks, maybe even a month until the BMR has settled at a lower rate, and you've stopped losing weight.

You should really do your own research if any lack of understanding on basic functions of life, and where deficit should come from.

And since exercise is more intense than daily activities, that is not mainly from the fat stores, so at least a good half or more must be fed to the muscle, or it will just use the calories the BMR needed.

So biggest bang, increase daily activity until you have a difference of 1200 calories between your BMR and estimated maintenance calories.
    Then eat at your BMR plus 100 or 200.

Now you have a deficit of 1000 cal /day, 2 lbs/wk.

And don't exercise yet, just use the time to increase your slow walks with kids, stairs, constant moving, as if baby won't do that anyway.
  • Jessnluv
    Options
    Your body at its current weight need around 2500 calories a day to maintain curren weight. In order to lose 2lbs per week you need to burn 7000 calories a week. So by burning 1000 calories per day will give you the results you desire. So if you need 2500 to maintain then consuming 1500 per day without exercise would get you there.
  • kp3874
    Options
    Really though, as you're breastfeeding you might be better off looking at lower weight loss per week than 2 pounds. I know we all want fast weight loss but you have to put your health and baby's nutrition first.

Couldn't agree more!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I keep reading post after post after site after site, everybody says something different, and I really just want the opinion of someone who really truly knows what they're talking about, someone who knows the FACTS!

I'm 5'5
    179 lbs ... (cut me some slack, just had a baby and gained 80 lbs!! Started at 165 and made it clear the heck up to 245 due to thyroid problems, but have been working my butt off and have lost 65 lbs in the last 5 months! )

During these winter months I am doing (Mon-Fri) Leslie Sansone's advanced 5 mile walk workout indoors (67 minutes), and then 30 minutes of Jillian Michaels (last month 30 DS, this month Ripped in 30) I do have a Polar Heart Rate Monitor which tells me I burn an average of 950 calories each day.

So my question is...what on earth should I be eating? My doctor said 1500 calories since I'm breastfeeding... online sites say AT LEAST 1700-1800... mfp has me at 1200... Then there's those who say eat your calories back, but if you're WAY overweight, then you don't HAVE to eat your calories back... But I need to be sure I'm eating enough calories to take care of my body and also to produce enough breastmilk for my baby... all the while losing weight. See why I would be confused?

I just need a SMART person out there who knows their stuff to crunch my numbers for me that will get me my results in a healthy way.

At 5'5" and with that activity factor you probably have a TDEE upwards of 2500-2700. So cut 20% from 2500 and eat 2k a day. You wont gain any weight because you are under TDEE and you will be getting the nutrients you need!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options

I'm 5'5

Regardless of what anybody else says, you absolutely should not go below what your doctor says while you're breast feeding. It isn't possible for you to lose 2 pounds a week safely while you are breastfeeding. Honestly, I'd go with the 1700-1800. You will lose weight, just not 2 pounds/week. And that's okay.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5
    179 lbs ...

So my question is...what on earth should I be eating?

BMR about 1600
    For the baby 500
    Safety 100
    Avg exercise calories - 600 (950 x 5 / 7 minus inaccuracy)

Get ready for this!
    Daily goal should be 2800.

Ok, did you get back up off the floor and sitting straight in chair?

With that, you do NOT log exercise calories, just the workout and time if desired, and 1 calorie. Therefore no eat back.

Will that be a 1000 cal / day deficit? Depends on how much your other daily activity it is.

But it will be as healthy as possible without slowing down your metabolism.

As your weight goes down, change the BMR figure and add it up again.
    As your calorie estimate changes, do the math again, and add it up again.

Or, you can try this method to eat for the future you, and keep it even simpler.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3088-eating-for-future-you
  • beccahansen
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! I appreciate all your help. I must say though, I've been busting my butt with exercising, feeling GREAT, and my baby is a little chunker. He's 96th % in height and 98th% in weight, so I know he's getting plenty of milk and his pediatrician couldn't be happier. Currently I am aiming for (and have been since he was born) the mpf recommended 1200 calories plus an additional 500 for breastfeeding. ... Plus eating back most, if not all, my exercise calories. I'm averaging 1-2 lbs loss/week. I just wanted to get some knowledgeable opinions to make sure I was on the right track since everything I've been reading lately has told me I might not be even though my weight loss is steady and my baby couldn't be healthier. I may have to rethink my 1700 calories a day.... but dang 2000 seems high!
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Well the reason you find conflicting info is a few fold. Some go by mathmatical one size fits all calculations like BMR x (activity / sedentary 1.2) = tdee

Others just think that you should eat the minimum 1200 and that should work. Yadda yadda.

The best is the science. You can do this a couple ways. Universities all have human performance sports labs that are open to the public, where you can get a metabolic cart done. Which is your calorie burn at rest. These can range anywhere from 0.8 cals a minute to 1.8 cals a minute. Which if you can do math is 1152 - 2592 as a BMR. the main difference is activity level, male to female and hormones. Anyone who just gives you a blank number based on height and weight are merely guessing based on averages. It's about as exact as if I tried to measure the distance to the neighbors using spoons.

A metabolic test costs around 20.00 and I would strongly suggest getting one done. This way you know EXACTLY what you need to live. Once you have that you can use a HRM for exercise and make an educated calculation of what you should eat daily, which SHOULD be different day to day.

Another option, one I would particularly suggest is to invest in a BodyBugg. This is the most accurate you will get outside of a clinical setting. The nice thing about those is they tell you what you did that day, based on your steps, your heat flux, your sweat etc. etc. They are the most accurate I have come across with around a 10% margin error. I would rather have 10%, than up to 30 - 40% to try to log everything I did in the day and do my own math.

I have lost steadily 6 lbs a month using mine. I like the fact I can see what I did, then from there create a 1k defecit. It also makes carb cycling easy, which I can do 500, 750, 1000, 1200, 900, etc etc. As long as I am roughly at 7k a week in the overall I lose steadily. I average around 1500-1600 cals day.

When I ate 1200 strictly, I did lose weight at first, then froze. Because I wasnt eating enough to support the activity I was doing AND living. I had to have something outside myself and magic numbers to go by, and have had great success.
  • simon_pickard
    simon_pickard Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Read this post.
    Type in the numbers and work it out.
    http://forums.menshealth.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/63310347/m/474106321

I wouldn't try for 2lbs per week. Start with 1 and see how you get on.
    Use MFP to log not Fitdays of course. ;)
  • Cajun_momma
    Options
    1700-1800 hun! to provide yourself with enough nutrients to keep your milk production and vital nutrients to the baby you have to eat a balenced diet and enough to keep yourself awake. eating bare min. will decrease your energy and you can beome anemic and vit B defficent. I am no dr. but work in medical field, a mom of 4, and hubby a nuse practitioner.. if you decrease below 1700 your milk will decrease and it will be unhealthy. hope this helps!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies! I appreciate all your help. I must say though, I've been busting my butt with exercising, feeling GREAT, and my baby is a little chunker. He's 96th % in height and 98th% in weight, so I know he's getting plenty of milk and his pediatrician couldn't be happier. Currently I am aiming for (and have been since he was born) the mpf recommended 1200 calories plus an additional 500 for breastfeeding. ... Plus eating back most, if not all, my exercise calories. I'm averaging 1-2 lbs loss/week. I just wanted to get some knowledgeable opinions to make sure I was on the right track since everything I've been reading lately has told me I might not be even though my weight loss is steady and my baby couldn't be healthier. I may have to rethink my 1700 calories a day.... but dang 2000 seems high!

I think 1700 a day plus exercise calories sounds great if you are not experiencing any milk supply issues.