ankle pain

Options
I recently started walking and about a half mile in I get a searing pain in my left ankle. It feels like the tendon on the outside of my leg is burning. My leg feels as if it is straight when I take a step instead of bending at the knee. Eventually the pain dulls but I can still feel it. I have been forcing myself to keep walking 2-2.5 miles a day. Has anyone else experienced this or have an idea about what to do to fix it? I am thinking about getting an ankle brace. Thoughts???

Replies

• LauraLovesCamp
    Options
    I have feet, ankle soreness and problems too. I believe it's got to do with the weight that I'm carrying. But that's not it. Like my Gram I can tell you when a storm is coming in. Arthritis! But I find that stretching really helps. Yoga. Put your foot on a curb and lean into it stretching your foot too. Sometimes when my knee really bothers me I wear a brace and it helps but having lost weight before (gained it back ;( I know that weight loss is best. Hang in there. I think it'll get better.

Swim!! Great exercise without pressure on your joints!
  • psychomomxs4
    psychomomxs4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I too was have a lot of ankle pain..I was able to figure out that I was walking to fast when on an the incline. Since then I'm varying my cardio workouts, had Kinesio Taping done to my foot for a couple of weeks, and then bought a pair of Vibram. My ankle is doing 100% better. I’ve done two 5 k’s walk/run and today I ran 22 minutes uphill no stopping. I hope this helps you...Good Luck

4526527.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • melrose09
    Options
    I too was have a lot of ankle pain..I was able to figure out that I was walking to fast when on an the incline. Since then I'm varying my cardio workouts, had Kinesio Taping done to my foot for a couple of weeks, and then bought a pair of Vibram. My ankle is doing 100% better. I’ve done two 5 k’s walk/run and today I ran 22 minutes uphill no stopping. I hope this helps you...Good Luck

4526527.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I had the exact opposite experience with my minimalist shoes, but I have previous serious injuries to my hips and ankles, so I need the support of a sturdy shoe since my actual bones are screwy.

But I totally agree that maybe it's too much too soon. Take a step back, maybe cut your pace or work on your posture? If you go to a running store they can analyze your gait and give you some suggestions. It could be as simple as a new show or maybe even something a doctor needs to tend to.
  • khuckaby1
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am going to try stretching and slowing down.
  • myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I have to say I have this almost every time I go on the treadmill. I can do 5 miles with Leslie Sansone DVDs or walking outdoors without the issues, but with the treadmill it's different. For me, I think I'm walking awkwardly or overcompensating somehow on the treadmill.
  • godiva99
    Options
    I would say ease up on it for a bit...Ice it, ibuprofen and rest it or you'll end up with an injury like me and then you'll be stuck waiting 6wks for a recovery.

I just finished doing the 30DS and I stopped doing the jumping jacks the last 4 days...too llittle too late. These past two days have been rough. I hurts like heck!
  • seanpot25
    Options
    Ankle pain is very painful... just take it easy and make sure you do the RICE ( rest, ice, compress, and elevate) . its better to take it easy than being injure in the couple of weeks.