Took a Fitness Class for 1st time tonight

Options
Well I go to the Y to exercise at night and I took this 45 minute class tonight called Buts and Guts and it was very difficult on me I pushed through and made it through the whole class but man when it was over I felt so dumb and like a failure because I couldn't move and bend the way they did. I did go and do my normal work out afterwards thinking that would make me feel better but it did not at first. I was sad and called my husband and was a big baby and cried to him, and bless his heart he was very supportive and kept reassuring me that I was doing good and he was proud of me. After thinking about everything for a little bit I started to feel better. I am glad I got my normal work out in besides the class because I really don't know how much I accomplished in the class. I am just wondering if the emotions are normal like this when you first start out with this life change I know it is when you get off drugs and stop drinking but I didn't think it would be like this when I worked out and was eating healthy. Maybe it was just a bad day. Not sure. If you have thoughts on this please reply and let me know.

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I think it's perfectly normal. I took my first class tonight too-a spinning class. It was REALLY difficult. I didn't even know how to adjust the bike when I got there lol but luckily my friend showed me how to move everything around to get things comfortable. In the end, I just had fun with it-even when I got off the bike at the end of class and my legs felt like Jell-O and I was literally shaking. Keep your chin up and keep going! Before you know it you'll feel much more comfortable. :heart: I understand how you feel, because taking a group exercise class at a major gym was something that was WAY out of my comfort zone. I'm really glad I did it, though, it was a great workout and so much fun!
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You did your first class! Yay for you! You should be very proud of taking that step - it takes a lot of courage, especially if you are self-conscious (and who isn't?). The most important thing is to go back again next week. You'll be a pro in no time :)

You got this x
  • clkuchtyn
    clkuchtyn Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love classes...but I didn't always. I was afraid that people were staring at me and thinking I didn't fit in,I couldn't bend that far, lift that much, or follow the routines exactly. But I said screw it! I'm here for me, not them.

I'm now a seasoned class attendee and now I know that no one even pays attention to the new girl. We're all just concentrating on trying to get through the killer workout ourselves. Give it time and try the class (or a different one) a few more times. Soon you'll understand the routine of the class and your muscles will get use to it.

I wouldn't even go to the gym if they didn't have classes.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    My emotions have been all over the place for the past 8 months. Every change, every new experience, every loss, has been emotional. So what you experienced is perfectly normal. Just laugh, cry and most important, keep on going!
  • xyril
    xyril Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about keeping up. Just "do it". The main thing is to keep it up. I can tell you from experience, I felt the same way. My first Zumba class, I actually walked out during the warm up. Then I realized, that giving up will get me nowhere. So I turned my self around and went back in. I was off beat but I did it. And then, I got infected with Zumba fever and kept going back.

Good luck and remember, the first step is always the hardest!
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    way to go! you made it through your first class, so you've got guts as far as I'm concerned. I bought a groupon for fitness classes that I don't have to cash in until June, so I have plenty of time to get my courage up. Like someone else said, I'm sure everyone else is so wrapped up in their workout they didn't even notice that you're still learning the moves.

good luck on your next class!
  • cburke55
    Options
    I felt like I had a big L for loser on my forehead when I joined a Zumba class and 67-80 year olf ladies were making it look so easy. They were having fun and I was watching the class and thankful that I got there 15 minutes late. I am 55 and thought I was in decent shape, hah! It did get easier but it took awhile.
  • aritchey1977
    aritchey1977 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about getting all the moves right when you first start. If you're moving, you're burning calories. I look like a drunk chicken when I am learnng a new routine and not much better when I learn it! LOL. Just be able to laugh at yourself and enjoy the class. Good for you for even going. You can do this!!!
  • VinaAnderson
    Options
    The first time is always the hardest. Remember everyone in that class had an awkward first time too. You should feel proud of yourself for finishing the class.