Eating to your calorie count?

So I have read a lot of forums about eating to your calorie count for best weight loss and everything, but I still have some questions. I have eaten 1259 calories today, but I'm meant to eat 1500. I have an extra 241 calories I can eat, but I am not hungry. I have had the minimum of 1200 calories, so do I stop here? Or would it be better for me to go have a slice of cheese or a honey lemon water to increase the calorie count for the day by about a hundred?

I am 100kg, 5 foot 8.

Replies

• littlemegzz
    littlemegzz Posts: 292 Member
    bump..... anyone?
  • if you are not hungry...then you dont necessarily need to eat them back...some people will beg to differ...but totally up to you.
    i think if you had more than 500 left it would be different, especially over a long period of time?
    i seem to zig zag my calories (purely by accident) and it seems to be ok so far...but everyones body will react differently.
  • littlemegzz
    thanks for the reply. I guess I will just follow what my stomache is telling me.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    I just try to keep it close. If you want to eat those calories it's fine- if you don't, well that's fine too. It's whatever works for you and figuring that out can take some trial and error :)
  • I think it's important to listen to what your body is telling you. So you eat a bit less today--maybe you eat a bit more tomorrow. That's the way we work when we're kids and we lose that ability when we start to give food different meanings.
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    You could always eat them back tomorrow. Like a previous poster said, zigzagging calories is not a bad thing!
  • littlemegzz
    yea. I guess one of my other main problems is being able to tell when Im actually hungry. I worked out a couple of years ago that when I was a kid, I thought cravings were me being hungry. Probably something to do with eating for boredom.

I also ate very poorly last month before I started here on mfp. One day, in particular, I had kept going to the cupboard because I thought I was hungry and it suddenly dawned on me that I was actually really energised on sugar (I blame the nutella). The sugar high was making me figity which was making me go back to the cupboard. I went for a jog then and all was fixed.

Lately it's been weird because I will eat a proper meal and then 30 min later I think I feel hungry, but I also think it is just my stomache digesting. So I don't know.

I've made myself a honey lemon water for now anyway. It still keeps me 100 below the limit and I guess I can enjoy it because I didn't have any pizza at orientation day today.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    I would say listen to your body..........if you ain't hungry then don't eat, or eat a handful of nuts or other calorie dense food. There might be a day in the week where you are more hungry and 1500 is not enough, if so you know you have some saved from another day to eat! I calculate my calories on a weekly allowance rather than daily. I try to eat 1400-1500 per day but if I have a meal or night out planned then I will be a bit more careful on other days to compensate.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    If you're not hungry then dont worry. Its the average over the week that counts so you could save them for another day and have a glass of wine or something at weekend.