my boyfriend isn't funny

Options
124»

Replies

• TheBakerGirl
    Options
    Be careful what you wish for. After 19 years of marriage, there are days I tell my husband, "Your humor brought us together and it might just tear us apart."

Love that he is so funny, just at times, funny isn't what I want or need at that time.
    No matter what you say, a huge glass of ice cold water being poured on you in the shower is ALWAYS funny.

hahaha!! so NOT funny! Haven't done that since college. I wonder how he'd react to that one… :bigsmile:
  • sruffin9834
    Options
    My girlfriend always laughs at me, so I just pull up my pants and walk away.

:laugh: now this is funny

I had to read the entire forum to understand that joke. But now that I got it. I am slapping my knee in back aching laughter! That is top notch HIGHlarious right there!!! Good one man, good one.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sruffin9834
    Options
    Be careful what you wish for. After 19 years of marriage, there are days I tell my husband, "Your humor brought us together and it might just tear us apart."

Love that he is so funny, just at times, funny isn't what I want or need at that time.
    No matter what you say, a huge glass of ice cold water being poured on you in the shower is ALWAYS funny.

hahaha!! so NOT funny! Haven't done that since college. I wonder how he'd react to that one… :bigsmile:

You should totally do it as soon as possible and then let us know what happens!
  • ahmpierce1
    ahmpierce1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I think we just have really different senses of humor.

...but like you all say, just get your humor fix from somewhere else...friends, family, co-workers, etc.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for admitting it, but I'm really missing humor in our relationship. Anyone else had this experience? Should I seek laughter outside of our home? Can I help him be funnier? Am I going to have the sole responsibility of cracking our friends and family up? Oh man. Or are we doomed? I think my mental health and my abs would benefit from more laughter in my life! :laugh:
    I looked but no one has asked how long you've been dating. To me, that's an important piece of info.

Why do you feel bad for admitting that you are missing something from a relationship? Is the relationship otherwise great? Have you invested a lot of your life in this relationship? Have you been together awhile and things have been so great you just didn't realize the humor wasn't really there? Or is it something you have missed the whole time?

How important is sharing a laughter, sharing a sense of humor with your partner? It doesn't really matter how important it is to me, or anyone else commenting. It matters how important it is to you. As attractive as the fantasy sounds, it's unlikely you are going to fundamentally change a person. So you have to decide if an unfunny mate is OK with you.
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options

I looked but no one has asked how long you've been dating. To me, that's an important piece of info.

Why do you feel bad for admitting that you are missing something from a relationship? Is the relationship otherwise great? Have you invested a lot of your life in this relationship? Have you been together awhile and things have been so great you just didn't realize the humor wasn't really there? Or is it something you have missed the whole time?

How important is sharing a laughter, sharing a sense of humor with your partner? It doesn't really matter how important it is to me, or anyone else commenting. It matters how important it is to you. As attractive as the fantasy sounds, it's unlikely you are going to fundamentally change a person. So you have to decide if an unfunny mate is OK with you.

Your questions are probably rhetorical, but I'm going to answer them anyway because you're right! We've been dating almost three years. I feel bad for admitting it because he's wonderful in so many other ways. I can't expect him to be perfect! I've been missing humor the whole time, but didn't notice it as much when our relationship was "new." Now we are living together, which means we spend a lot more time together. I'd love it if he'd crack his own jokes sometimes, or say something random, or be sarcastic, or even make fun of me when I do something stupid. I know I won't change him, just trying to figure out if it's possible to make a relationship work without humor that goes both ways.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

Your questions are probably rhetorical, but I'm going to answer them anyway because you're right! We've been dating almost three years. I feel bad for admitting it because he's wonderful in so many other ways. I can't expect him to be perfect! I've been missing humor the whole time, but didn't notice it as much when our relationship was "new." Now we are living together, which means we spend a lot more time together. I'd love it if he'd crack his own jokes sometimes, or say something random, or be sarcastic, or even make fun of me when I do something stupid. I know I won't change him, just trying to figure out if it's possible to make a relationship work without humor that goes both ways.
    My questions were not rhetorical at all. Forum culture sometimes dictates giving life-changing advice armed with only a sliver of information. I was curious about some of the context you were describing.

Here is my FREE/from a random guy on the Internet advice. If you want to continue the relationship - you enjoy it and want to keep spending time with this guy - tell him exactly what you wrote above. Starting with "I'd love it if.." Tell him that stuff directly. Sometimes we think we've asked for things when we've only hinted at them. Sometimes we fail to adequately convey how important something is because we don't want to sound harsh/demanding/*****y/etc. You gotta own your wants.

If you ask directly (or have asked) and he either refuses, is unable, or is unwilling to have the sense of humor you want, you have a choice to make. You said you know you won't change him. So you have to decide if his sense of humor - the way it is now - is something you can live with or not.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

This sounds like a serious problem. (No pun intended.) I understand that you love him, but you WANT a guy with a sense of humor and you are missing out on it. That is a huge thing....to not be able to share jokes, tease each other, and be silly together. You're never going to change him, that's just his personality, so I guess you have to ask yourself if you are willing to go the rest of your life (possibly) with a guy who won't even crack a joke or make a sarcastic and hilarious observation. A guy who will NEVER make you burst out laughing. Man, I can't fathom it.
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    again if we know and he doesnt --- that is a problem itself. Commx can make or break a relationship. Life is simple we make it complicated. Cliche but true. Wanting some Humor in life is not too much to ask for. But it sounds like your relationship has more pros then cons. Way your options wisely . I once imposed GODLY expectations (Perfection) in one. You really set yourself up for failure. Nothing wrong with trying to find mr right--- You will bump into several Mr Wrongs along the way. Just try not to have any regrets... Easy to say --- the difference between your mind and your heart. Your Brain tells you what is smart while your heart tells you what you going to do anyway.....
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I keep coming back to this topic because I have a similar relationship. What we think we want and what we actually need in our relationships are completely different things. I always said I wanted someone who cracked me up. What I have realized over the years is that every guy I dated that made me roll on the ground with laughter almost instantly jumped into the friend zone. I find my serious, non-funny man very sexy and wonderful to be with even after many years together. And anyway I crack myself up all the time. Really. I am like super funny. And just look forward to the times when he is unintentionally funny. Like when he falls down the stairs or when he just stares blankly at other people when THEY are trying to be funny and they get all uncomfortable. That is my favorite.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Humor is like penis size. You got what you got.

OMG!! HAHA You sir, have a LARGE humor...

Hahaha this is great! both the op and the response!
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Humor is like penis size. You got what you got.

LOL! This explains a lot... :P
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I always dumped dudes that didn't make me laugh. Sense of humor is an absolute non-negotiable for me. If you are starting to feel resentment or uncertainty about your relationship because of his lack of humor, then yes, I'd say you're doomed.

^^ This.

I'm the same way. The guy I was dating before my fiance was a total dud. He wasn't funny or smart and was lacking in another way, too if ya get my drift. He was the sweetest guy ever though, but that just didn't cut it.

My fiance and I can crack a joke at pretty much everything. Humor is a MUST for me in a relationship, but I think if your man meets your other requirements in most areas then you gotta take the good with the bad.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I would die!!!

Make a comedy club your 2nd home.. or watch stand up on Netflix. I can watch them for hours!

NO doubt! I just addressed sense of humor in another thread! It's mandatory for me.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    My husband is hilarious and I love it. People probably think we're crazy. It's almost like we have our own language.

^ this :flowerforyou:
  • LolaGotThin
    LolaGotThin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I am going to spend the rest of life dying with laughter at the crap my husband says/does. He's hilarious. This is half the reason why I fell so in love with him!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have a largely cynical and inappropriate sense of humor that pisses my wife off. I can find humor in just about anything and typically laugh when its not acceptable :P.
  • smiler1974
    Options
    I always give myself the challange of making at least one person I meet smile or laugh throughout my day and to be honest it works wonders and keeps me smiling and laughing if nothing else, People may think I'm abit mad but life doesn't need to be taken that seriously and to be honest if they asked if I was mad!! of course I would answer YES
    If we could all have that, what a great day we would all have x
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    I keep coming back to this topic because I have a similar relationship. What we think we want and what we actually need in our relationships are completely different things. I always said I wanted someone who cracked me up. What I have realized over the years is that every guy I dated that made me roll on the ground with laughter almost instantly jumped into the friend zone. I find my serious, non-funny man very sexy and wonderful to be with even after many years together. And anyway I crack myself up all the time. Really. I am like super funny. And just look forward to the times when he is unintentionally funny. Like when he falls down the stairs or when he just stares blankly at other people when THEY are trying to be funny and they get all uncomfortable. That is my favorite.

I love this! You made a great point about the unintentionally funny. I'm going to work to appreciate those moments more! :laugh: