Advice for Strength Training Routines

Options
Folks of this wonderful forum - I wonder if you can help (i am sure you can!).........

I am looking for some help in designing a strength training routine. I'm a working Mum and have limited time to get to the gym. I can go about 4 times a week and spend about an hour there. I am training to do a 5km run in May 2012 so the first 30 mins of my workout is the C25K (i'm on week 4). I need a 30 minute strength training workout which I can do afterwards. Should I do the same exercises each time or concentrate on a different set of muscles on each workout.

Some guidance and workout suggestions would be most appreciated - thanks!

Mel x

Replies

• kototo
    kototo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im interested in seeing what responses you have to your questions. I also am wanting to start a strength training program and am on week 3 of C25K. I have about three days a week available to get to a gym for about an hour each time and I do the C25K on my millie at home. Will keep checking for ideas!! Thanks for posting this topic!
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    bump - anyone??
  • cjm109
    cjm109 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I got out my old edition of Bill Phillips "Body for Life" He has a special diet but I'm going to continue with my own. He does 30 day program of cardio and strength training. Previously I would do Monday-back and biceps 4/5 exersizes each then wed chest and triceps and so on. This is what he does.

Monday-upper body consists of 1 exersize for each upper group, back, biceps, chest, triceps, shoulders

first set 12 reps of a low weight
    wait 1 minute
    second set 10 reps of next higher weight
    wait
    third set 8 reps of next higher weight
    wait
    fourth set 6 reps of next higher weight
    wait
    fifth set is 12 reps of third set weight
    no waiting go right into 1 different exersize for same part of the body and do
    1 set of 12 with third set weight

This is done for each mucle group above.
    Do Monday upper w/ 20 min cardio
    Tues 20 min cardio
    Wed Lower and abs w/ 20 mins cardio
    Thurs 20 mins cardio
    Fri upper w/ 20 mins cardio
    sat 20 mins cardio
    sunday off

Next mon start with lower

I modified this do to time constraints and I only do 3 different weights and usually don't have time to wait in between.
    Ex:
    chest press
    1 set 12 reps 8 lb
    1 set 10 reps 10 lb
    1 set 8 reps 12 lb
    1 set 12 reps 10 lb
    chest flies
    1 set of 12 at 10 lb different exersize for same body part.

25-30 mins to complete
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Hi friend! :)

First I'd like to suggest doing your weight training FIRST, then cardio :)
    Second, I'd like to recommend a program that I follow: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dougs-4-day-split-workout.html

I like it a lot! there's videos for each if you have questions on how to perform the movements corrently.

Let me know if you have questions, we are already friends.

Oh! finally, there's a book I got last year called "The rules of lifting for women" I think is the title.. it's great and has a whole program to follow too!
  • gvswaim
    Options
    bump
  • MelanieAG05
    Options
    Hi friend! :)

First I'd like to suggest doing your weight training FIRST, then cardio :)
    Second, I'd like to recommend a program that I follow: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dougs-4-day-split-workout.html

I like it a lot! there's videos for each if you have questions on how to perform the movements corrently.

Let me know if you have questions, we are already friends.

Oh! finally, there's a book I got last year called "The rules of lifting for women" I think is the title.. it's great and has a whole program to follow too!

Just checked out that website and its great - I'll defo give it a shot next time am at the gym and will have a look for book too!
  • UphillBattleAxe
    UphillBattleAxe Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    just posted on your wall but this is a free app that looks quite good to me and maybe what you're looking for. Just going to download it now myself so can't fully recommend but worth a look I'd say!

http://gainfitness.com/
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    1. weights first
    2. New Rules of Lifting for Women. Buy it. Read it. Love it.
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com is a good one too. I just got on there yesterday, set my goals, and figured out what would work for me to try. :)
  • melrose09
    Options
    Well, without knowing your limitations and capabilities, it's pretty impossible to come up with a routine that will work best for you.
  • MelanieAG05
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your responses - plenty for me to go on! And good advice that I should do the weights first and then do the cardio.
  • MelanieAG05
    Options
    Well, without knowing your limitations and capabilities, it's pretty impossible to come up with a routine that will work best for you.

Good point - I should have given an indication........

I am fairly fit and been doing weights work for over a year but not consistently. Use 5-6kg dumbells, 15-20kg barbell, 70kg leg press, 15kg cable row (two hands!), 30kg lat pull down.........I have been pushing myself recently though and increasing the weights.
  • MelanieAG05
    Options
    just posted on your wall but this is a free app that looks quite good to me and maybe what you're looking for. Just going to download it now myself so can't fully recommend but worth a look I'd say!

http://gainfitness.com/

Great - checked it out. Looks good. Not got an iphone but the website is good enough.....
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Compound lifts. Squat, deadlift, pullup/lat puldown, bench press, overhead press, rows. Lift weights that are heavy enough for you that you struggle to do the last couple reps. Max 8-10 reps, 2-3 sets.

As a newb (I started in September which means I'm one too) you're better off focusing on your compounds rather than isolation exercises.
  • jaguar101570
    Options
    Nutandbutter is right, focus on compound lifts. Separate your body parts into different days. For example chest/tri's one day and bi's/back/shoulders on a different day. You don't want to do the same muscle group more than twice a week. Rest and diet are everyrthing when it comes to weight training.
  • tlhorsley
    tlhorsley Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Bump