Protein?

Options
Whats the deal with protein? Some posts say its ok to go over the target set by MFP and others say not to. I am 9 times out of 10 over my protein allowance.

So confused.

Replies

• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Whats the deal with protein? Some posts say its ok to go over the target set by MFP and others say not to. I am 9 times out of 10 over my protein allowance.

So confused.
    protein is the best
  • dontwantausername1
    dontwantausername1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It's okay to go over. People always say different things (like they do about exercise calories). As long as your diet is balanced with carbs and fat it's okay to go over. I set my MFP to 40% carbs, 35% protein, and 25% fat. 35% is the maximum you should be getting of protein. Change your goals and see how much you are having.
  • dontwantausername1
    dontwantausername1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

So confused.
    protein is the best

True. If you're going to go over on something make sure it is protein.
  • beach_chelle
    Options
    Protein helps build muscle, so if you are working out it good to go over. MFP does an average of the recommended allowance. So I upped my allowance because I am doing a lot of training.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein at 15% of total calories, a balanced diet can consist of up to 30% protein (double MFP numbers) You can change your % macro nutrients by going to goals > change goals > custom.
  • naplidon96
    Options
    Protein is EXCELLENT 4 bulking, or just gaining strength. When going WAY over protein allowance, consistently, u force yourself to put on size, NOT fat. Basically, u dont need the extra protein if ur a woman, lets keep it that way
  • staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It's okay to go over on protein. 30% on protein, you have to manually adjust it. I go 40% because I am weightlifting. I've been losing weight and I'm getting stronger. I'm sure it is different for everyone, but this is working for me. I hope this helps :)
  • kimsciolino
    kimsciolino Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hello! i just read an article on the Webmd site:
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/high-protein-diet-weight-loss
    According to this article it states to lose weight we should be eating around 120 grams of protein a day.. That is a lot higher than MFP is suggesting I have??? Maybe that is why I am having a hard time losing a steady amount of weight???
    Hope this helps,
  • kristyhooker
    Options
    I also lift, I'm 29, 5'8" and about 140 pounds.... I try to get around 140-180 grams of protein a day.... if I went with the measly 35 grams it automatically set up for me I'd just be hurting myself!
  • alex6971
    alex6971 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I am still unsure as to what % it should be set at. I do two sessions of 1 hour swimming a week and two session of 1 hour aerobic dance clases a week.