Feeling Discouraged

Options
My name is Beverly and today is my first day on My Fitness Pal. Today is also the first day that I'm trying to turn around my lifestyle with fitness and becoming more healthy. I've done this many times before and I just can't seem to accomplish it. So it has me feeling a little discouraged.

Replies

• georgina2930
    Options
    hi hun am the same its so hard maybe ad me we could try help each other x
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi Beverly,
    My name is Connie and I've been using myfitnesspal for one week now. I find the logging of my food intake very helpful, and am hoping this will really help. My initial goal is to lose 30lbs, then I will continue from there. I don't want to get too far into the future. I can tell you I've been trying to lose weight off and on for a good 10 yrs, and talk about feeling discouraged! I decided to be accountable for my actions and thought logging all the food/water/exercise would really help this time around. Time will tell. I can say though, after stepping on the scale this morning, I too, am a little less hopeful. I gained 2lbs instead of losing. Still, I am determined to keep going...........I hope you find support on this site.......don't give up! It helps to know people are going thru the same thing you and I are! Have a great day and keep a smile on your face!
  • Dorajohnson
    Dorajohnson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Beverly,

I am on day three and I hope logging my food/water will help me learn to adjust to the way I eat. My goal is 40 so don't get discouraged. We are all here to help one another. Good Luck!
  • cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Well I'm on day 337 and I'm telling you all that if you follow it properly and exercise regularly you'll get to all your goals :smile:
    Good luck everyone!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP; this is a great place to get started on a wonderful journey.
    Getting healthy and fit is actually very simple but it's just hard work.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • Prozack1964
    Options
    hello and welcome here you can do it and keep it up with good people here to help you I hope you have a great day
  • mieksgirl
    mieksgirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Keep your chin up! MFP is a great tool to help you focus on your weight loss goals and the encouragement you can get from others is indispensable. just remember you can do this!
  • badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Stick with it, make your choice every morning to log your food, takes a few seconds. Your choice with become a pattern, then the pattern will become a habit!! We can change how we do things, we can change how we look. Its gonna take some desire and dedication, but you are worth it!! You'll start to feel better getting out after a good gym workout and sense of accomplishment.

Just stick with it!
  • randi1213csc
    randi1213csc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Beverly,

I understand how you feel. I was also discouraged as well before I joined MFP. I haven't been a member of MFP very long, however I've noticed that I'm able to make healthier food choices now and I'm encouraged to excercise more. Diet and exercise and the key to long-term success. Utilize MFP's tools and you will be successful! I wish you the best!
  • mlc3409
    mlc3409 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My name is Beverly and today is my first day on My Fitness Pal. Today is also the first day that I'm trying to turn around my lifestyle with fitness and becoming more healthy. I've done this many times before and I just can't seem to accomplish it. So it has me feeling a little discouraged.

The ONLY Reason that I am losing so easily now with MFP is because I STOPPED DIETING!!! I Just now know I have a certain number of Calories to eat a day (Just like money in my checking account) you can only spend so much so I track it just like that. Food is a Debit against my account and Exercise is a Deposit. and I use MFP Like my check book. Dont stress about WHAT YOUR eating as long as you are tracking ...the POSITIVE CHoices will come in time when you start seeing yourself overdrawn a few times and realize your not getting enough for your money lol.

Now relate it all to something YOU understand and just relax. Enjoy the new freedom and learn how to get the best of it.

PS Email me anytime you have a question or need help. That is what we are here for SUPPORT!!!
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Spend some time reading the success stories in the community and email some of them and ask for their support. Almost everyone on here is willing to help, we are all doing the same journey. Good luck
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    First off, welcome to MFP, the best choice on the web for weight loss. Exercise, food, all of it can be researched here. However, find your own track and stick with it. DIET as in Die with a T is not what it's all about. It's about constructing yourself an eating for life plan! So forget the starving, fad diets and all that, eat less of the bad food, and move more, pretty simple.

That doesn't mean you don't allow yourself a restaurant trip, or a stop at McD's or chocolate or anything else, you plan ahead and balance your day.

You learn to read every label for hidden surprises, watch your water 8 or more, more of us drink 10 or more, watch your sodium, once you start to shift to a healthier diet, sodium can often cause a temporary weight gain.

Doing intense workouts at the gym, don't weigh the next day, you will be holding water while your muscles do some repair work.

Stay focused, ignore the scale changes if you know you didn't stumble. Keep in mind it takes 3500 calories too many to make a pound so one day off the wagon does not wreck your plans, but several days do.

Log faithfully, if it has calories or sodium get it in there, it can often tell you what went wrong. If you want help, make your diary public and make good supportive friends, if they preach, kick em, if they try to help and you don't like the advice, gently ignore it. They will still support you.
    Take care of yourself, don't stint on non food treats, lose 5 lbs, get something you want, lose 10 get something else, and onward.
  • srhug
    srhug Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest benefit of getting healthy with myfitnesspal is that the website gives you the tools to be accountable to yourself and makes that process easier. The first week of logging my food was eye opening for me, I ate as I normally would but logged everything in my food diary and was absolutely blown away by the amount of calories I was eating without thinking about them. Just knowing is half the battle.

Diets will tell you sugar is bad, steak is bad, x food is bad. MFP let's you incorporate that food into your diet, see it's effect on your body and your goals, then you decide if it is something you want in your life. Because, realistically, I am going to want to eat a cupcake at some point in my life. At least with MFP, I can see how many calories that will set me back and I can decide if it is worth it. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. The point is that I have the information in my food diary and the food database to decide, plus I have the support of people on the forums saying, "yes, I ate a cupcake and survived" or "here is what I do when I want to eat a cupcake."

TLDR, I like this website and it has promoted some serious responsible changes in my life. Welcome!
  • Sharonsimon
    Sharonsimon Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi you've made a great start I've been on this site for around a year this has helped me to really see what calories I am consuming the people on here are great and if you have any problems there is always someone who can help this site has great blogs and there are regular recipes posted on here you have taken the first step be proud of yourself for wanting to change feel free to add me as a friend if you wish
  • auranda
    auranda Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Proof that you have made a wise choice in joining MFP is in all the responses from caring people. This is a wonderful site. And don't get discouraged. When I first joined in Jan. had a great loss the first week. Then I did not lose for the next 3! But it is starting to come off. But on here you get so many valuable tips from people, so much encouragement, that it is one of the best tools you can have. I wish you well on your weight loss journey. YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    The great thing about MFP is that you don't have to change everything today! When I decided to change, I knew that giving up all my favorite foods, restricting my calories and starting an exercise plan all at the same time would make me fail. Instead, I decided to start with just one of those things (restricting calories) to lose weight for now. When I feel comfortable, I will move on to more exercise, but i am not going to give up eating my favorite foods as long as I keep to my calories.

i have heard that simply logging the food that you eat causes some people to lose weight. If you know you have to enter everything you eat and then look at the results at the end of the day, you may think twice before eating something you don't need.
  • Jus_BN_Kim
    Options
    Good Morning Beverly,

You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you! I have lost a total of 75 pounds and I was struggling with my last 15 until I decided to join MFP. The key is to eat clean and keep moving! You can do it!
  • latoyia12
    Options
    No need to feel discouraged, you can do it!
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    Hi I have been on MVP for 3 weeks and the pounds are not coming off like the first two weeks but with the support and seeing my entries with excerise and food I see where I did things different. Hang in there and you will have good days and bad but we are all here for the same reason. You can do it!
  • Srdking
    Srdking Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I been on here since Jan and coming here has helped me more. Before this I was doing Insanity and going at it alone. Now I know I have not stopped because, I'm with others who are all in the same boat. So it keeps me going. I got mfp as an app on my phone. I was excited to find out they also had an online site:) If I can do it and go more healthy anybody can!

Good Luck!