Iron

Options
I really need some advice on how to get more iron in my diet. I always fall about 50% short of my daily goal. For women, iron is really important - especially since my workouts are very long and quite intense. I take a daily vitamin that provides 100% of the reccommended iron amount - but I'd like to get my iron intake up in my diet, as I tend to be forgetful when it comes to taking my vitamin routinely.

Suggestions/advice?

Replies

• stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I want to see answers to this, too. Recently found out I'm iron deficient.
  • Classalete
    Classalete Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Think Popeye, go spinach!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    ?........wait....aren't you the one studying nutrition and exercise science? :huh:

Besides iron rich foods (google it :smile: ) and supplements the only other thing I've heard of is to cook in an iron skillet.....:flowerforyou:
  • ?........wait....aren't you the one studying nutrition and exercise science? :huh:

Besides iron rich foods (google it :smile: ) and supplements the only other thing I've heard of is to cook in an iron skillet.....:flowerforyou:

Haha, yes! But my major is exercise science, not nutrition. I guess I'm looking for more creative ways to fit it into my diet since most of the super iron rich foods are not my favorite.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Think Popeye, go spinach!

right outta my mouth. love spinach. . . i eat it w/ strawberries and sunflower seeds/ balsamic dressing. . . I take a supplement as well, and try to remember it in the morning before I leave the house
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I eat spinach every day and meat at 1-2 meals!! I too consistently fall short in iron and really want to get it through food rather than supplements. Tis a dilemma.
  • samanthalynndr
    Options
    I was so anemic for about a year that I had absolutely no energy, bad skin, and my hair started falling out. now, I take a multi with iron, iron supplements when I'm on my cycle, and make sure to have lots of leafy greens (since I don't eat red meat.) Fortified cereals are also surprisingly high-iron.

I always have a bag of frozen chopped spinach on hand, and I put it in everything: tomato sauce, eggs, soup, etc. You won't even taste it!
  • Felbsies
    Felbsies Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm looking for more creative ways to get Iron. Also, should I ask a doctor before starting an iron supplement? I've noticed over the past few months that I always fall very short on my iron.
  • portgordon
    Options
    Sorry to dig up a reasonably old thread, but Im just starting to look into the same thing, and found this article:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Iron.aspx

which contains an interesting few paragraphs which might be useful to some who are eating tonnes of spinach :smile: :

"Many people think that spinach is a good source of iron, but spinach also contains a substance that makes it harder for the body to absorb the iron from it.

Similarly, tea and coffee contain a substance that can make it harder for the body to absorb iron. Therefore, cutting down on tea and coffee could help improve your iron levels.

Although liver is a good source of iron, do not eat it if you are pregnant. This is because it is also rich in vitamin A, large amounts of which can damage your unborn baby. "
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was really anemic for years and iron supplements, dark greens, etc weren't helping. I was even eating my iron alongside calcium (milk) and not vitamin C (OJ) because I heard C inhibits absorption. Finally a doctor tested me for celiac disease and it was positive. When I eat wheat, rye, or barley, my body reacts and my intestines absorb NOTHING.

I'm now gluten free and totally not anemic. :happy:

Just food for thought.
  • Emily_Katherine
    Options
    Sesame Seeds have a fair bit of iron in them. They're good tossed in stir fries.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Don't go solely by the MFP database when checking your iron intake - we all know the database has errors, and one of the main things it is lacking in is full nutrient info.

Check if your bread or cereal have added iron.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Multigrain Cheerios.
  • lissajan
    Options
    Some breakfast cereals are fortified with Iron. I like honey bunches of oats particulary. It has 120 calories for 3/4 cup and 45% of daily iron. I have the same problem with Iron.