SHIN SPLINTS

Options
Anyone know how I can make this pain go away? More importantly what will happen if I keep running through the pain? Any long term effects? I have stretched, new shoes, iced, ibuprofen, etc. Training for a half marathon so can't just rest at the moment. HELP!

Replies

• jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to fix it, but look up Chi-Running. I'm still trying to get this technique down without buying the products. The guy talks about shin splints in one of the videos I found on Youtube.
  • MKistler77
    Options
    If I have shin splints I'll try to work on strectching and massaging around my shins. Those are really painful. I found for me it's more the shoes than the actualy running. Have you been fitted for shoes? Most sports stores will put you in the right pair of shoes. I had them all the time when I first started running and once I changed shoes they were gone. Hope your shins get better quick!
  • tsmith67
    Options
    Experiencing the same thing. Worried that if I stop exercising to rest my shins I'll lose motivation.
  • audddyy
    Options
    I've had shin splints I kept running and got a stress fracture, so be careful. I was told to do water running, which I did, but lost interest very quickly as slightly boring! Hope your pain goes away quickly... Apparently its a sign your doing too much and the body wants a break!
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    You need to stretch your shins. I wish I could describe it with words. But you have to rotate your foot in a circle clock wise and then the opposite direction. I use to get them but now I do that and i haven't gotten them in a long time.
  • mlawilm
    mlawilm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My daughter had shin splints when she played softball and they gave her a compression sock to wear.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Its most likely due to the increase in training. KEEP stretching, before and after...more than you think is needed. ALSO, I only run in compression sleeves. They are like super tight leg warmers I wear and they keep the muscles and tendons secure against the bone...which when they pull away causes the shin splints. Also look up exercises you can do to strengthen when not running. The compression sleeves were the best for me!
  • lb7970
    lb7970 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I get shin splints too! Sounds like you've tried all the same things I have tried. One thing I've noticed is that if I can walk for about 5 minutes then do some calf stretches like up on your tip toes then down so your heels go lower than your toes, best done on a step. Then point toes and roll them in circles both directions for about 15 seconds each way. It does help me sometimes. Otherwise I just work through it and ice them afterwards.
  • Jen_ht
    Jen_ht Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If I have shin splints I'll try to work on strectching and massaging around my shins. Those are really painful. I found for me it's more the shoes than the actualy running. Have you been fitted for shoes? Most sports stores will put you in the right pair of shoes. I had them all the time when I first started running and once I changed shoes they were gone. Hope your shins get better quick!

Completely agree - go to a good running store and get fitted properly - you can buy all the new shoes you want but if you don;t get 'em fitted by people in the know they won't do you any more good. I get shinsplints just walking fast and it's all because I know I'm not wearing appropriate shoes! Good luck with the half marathon :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are caused by the sheath around your tendon in your calf not stretching as fast as the tendon is growing. Ibuprofen and do a small amount of running on a regular basis to give the sheath a chance to stretch slowly.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    proper warm up, correct shoes, ice, ibuprofen, REST. cross train. lift leg weights on off days. running everyday unless you are a serious runner, will get you into trouble quick. the muscle needs to be warm, less injury. stretch AFTER as well. good luck!
  • grag79
    grag79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oh I am a member of the shin splints club!!Every time I get into an exercise regime I get shin splints.I am told to rest but then I end up losing motivation.I have been told to R.I.C.E now.
    R...Rest
    I.....ICE
    C...COMPRESS
    E....ELEVATE

Gonna have to try over the next few days.I did a 5k jog 2 days ago and I went out yest I could hardly walk it.Very frustrating!!
    Gonna go and get fitted for new trainers too and get me some compression socks!
    Best of luck on getting rid.Next step is prevention xgx
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    When is the last time you got new/real running shoes? I used to have a problem all of the time and then my practitioner asked me that one obvious dumb question... Good luck =)
  • JasonandMichelle
    Options
    I don't know how to fix it, but look up Chi-Running. I'm still trying to get this technique down without buying the products. The guy talks about shin splints in one of the videos I found on Youtube.

^This. The essence of Chi Running (in my mind) is a midfoot strike and good form.

There are other things you can do (see R.I.C.E, good shoes, etc.), but in my experience when I changed my form from heel strike to midfoot strike, most/all shin splint issues went away.

Also check a sports med doc to check your gait (and other biomechanical factors).
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Here is something I read recently. It doesn't mention shin splints but other conditions:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Why-do-People-Run-Barefoot.htm?cmp=17-7-2015
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My high school tennis coach taught us to strengthen our calf muscles to help prevent shin splints. We would have to do those tip-toe exercises at each practice: just stand up and down on your tip-toes about 25 times. Something about how if the opposite muscle is strong enough, it will support your shins better. I don't know if it's true, but I never got shin splints during tennis season if I did those exercises. Good luck!
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options

^This. The essence of Chi Running (in my mind) is a midfoot strike and good form.

There are other things you can do (see R.I.C.E, good shoes, etc.), but in my experience when I changed my form from heel strike to midfoot strike, most/all shin splint issues went away.

Also check a sports med doc to check your gait (and other biomechanical factors).
    I'm getting better at the midfoot strike, but it seems like I revert back to my old form after a while. I've read that is does take some practice to run like that all the time.