10 minute mile, for the first time ever!

Options
I was always the fat kid.... when I attempted soccer camp (only once!) I was the kid huffing and puffing halfway across the field when the rest were at the goal. I decided I wasn't good at running, wasn't capable, and resolved myself to biking, walking, and the climbing on the elliptical for cardio. ...but not anymore!

I'm still overweight, but I've been counting my calories through MFP for 3 weeks now, as well as going to the gym at my school for 5-7 hours each week. For the past two of those weeks, I've been alternating running and walking to try to build up my stamina. Last night, I hit a new personal record: my first ten-minute mile! ..with no walk breaks!

In addition to my gym time, I've gotta give credit to my new pair of Vibrams, too. The reason I was able to make a little over a mile was because my shins weren't hurting, at all! Not even the best fitted, most expensive Asics were able to do that for me. (I previously would get shin splints if I tried to run more than three minutes or so.) I'm a convert!

Replies

• NewCyn
    NewCyn Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Good for you, Way to go!
  • SamHughes15
    SamHughes15 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well done! I've recently started the running with walking breaks to try and get me used to it, i was the same as you completly hated running in every possible way but now really enjoy it!

Keep up the good work!!
  • j3nn14er
    Options
    awesome! keep up the good work ^_^
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Grats dude.... now run the 5k in under 30 minutes. :)
  • davecaplyn
    Options
    Well done. I've taken up running. It's the best exercise but you do have to watch out for injuries. I made the mistake of buying cheap trainers. I was out of action for three weeks. Had my first run in my new skeets on Monday and looking forward to tonight.

Keep up the good work!
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome!! I know the feeling. I was always the fat kid and could never run for long distances. I seem to improve everytime I hit the treadmill.

Get it up!! YOu will be surprised on what you can do!!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Congrats, that is quite the accomplishment!
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    WTG!!!! Great accomplishment!! Keep up the good work!
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!! That's a great accomplishment!!

I ran a 9.3 minute mile the other day- my personal best. Of course it was just one mile... the other 3 were 13 minutes LOL I have an issue with shin splints when I go from the treadmill to the pavement or vice-versa.
  • fairycake25
    Options
    well done you :happy: xx
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Nicely done! :)

I'm not a fan of the super minimalist shoes myself, but I'm glad they work for you!

Cheers!
  • dianichole73
    dianichole73 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your accomplishment. :smile:
  • melindadunston
    Options
    Awesome! Just a few days ago I ran my first mile ever. Even in high school I couldn't run a mile! It was 13mins but its a start. I know that sounds slow but I felt like I was booking it..lol My next goal is to do 2miles without stopping for a walk break and then go for a 5k this spring early summer! Keep working hard!
  • dsmonteith
    Options
    Awesome job!!! Keep it up!
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    YAYYY! CONGRATS! It's a wonderful feeling to accomplish something you've worked so hard and long for. I am also a runner and I LOVE my vibrams so GREAT JOB!
  • Aem2381
    Aem2381 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Great Job! Keep it up and you will be running a 5K in no time! :)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    nice man!! what kind of vibrams? the five fingers?
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    Awesome job!!
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    @engineman312, yup, the VFF Bikila LS. My calves are on strike, but my shins and knees are thanking me!

Thanks for all of the encouragement, everybody! I can't wait to pick up the distance.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    That's a huge achievement, well done you! I've been running 15 years and only ever once did a 10-minute mile :blushing:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!