any suggestions for blueberries?

Options
You always hear about blueberries being so great for you, but I can't eat just a blueberry. It has to be in something. Eating blueberries muffins would probably be counter productive (although I'm sure there's an at home recipe that would be beneficial in small doses), so does anybody have any suggestions or recipes?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    They are great in yogurt and cereal.
  • nu2012
    nu2012 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    What about a smoothie? I take all berries: blue,black and straw and put them together,add either water or a little milk and blend and drink! Get them all together!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I love, love LOVE this recipe:

http://www.shutterbean.com/blueberry-corn-salad/

It's for a Blueberry cucumber corn salad. I know it sounds weird, but it's AMAZING.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    i just put some this morning into my oatmeal! It was really good and tasty.................I only put a quarter cup, tomorrow I may put a half :love:

I used quick cooking oats, with vanilla soy milk, blueberries, a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg, splenda....YUM
  • Sophiepoo
    Sophiepoo Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Oooh I have them in smoothies!
  • Frannyk1
    Options
    I mix them into my porridge, there is a great recipe for Blueberry muffins from weight watches that i use all the time, every one loves them.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    i just put some this morning into my oatmeal! It was really good and tasty.................I only put a quarter cup, tomorrow I may put a half :love:

I used quick cooking oats, with vanilla soy milk, blueberries, a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg, splenda....YUM

I do this too, but I use steel cut oats, make a large batch and then microwave frozen blueberries with what I want.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I LOVE blueberries... You can cook them down and make a glaze to use on turkey or lean pork cuts. You can add them to frozen yogurt for a sweet treat, add them to any cereal, or pancakes. And this is a truly delicious recipe for a healthier blueberry banana bread: http://www.dailygarnish.com/2011/06/blueberry-greek-yogurt-banana-bread.html It's very dense, and moist. I've never figured out the calories on it, but it's better than the typical loaf recipe.
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Fruit salad, they go great with bananas and raspberries.

Baked Oatmeal - I tried this recipe last weekend with blueberries and bananas, and it was heavenly (even my non-oatmeal, blueberry eating family loved it). I did make other changes to the recipe this time to lower fat/sugar, and the result was even better!

Here is the original recipe :
    http://www.inspiredtaste.net/9928/baked-oatmeal-with-strawberries-banana-and-chocolate-recipe/

I also put them in a bowl and microwave with a tiny bit of sweetener, and serve it over warmed rice pudding, for a very filling low calorie/low fat dessert.
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you're in an area where the farmer's market has blueberries in season, try some from there, too. I'm not a fan of the huge blueberries you get at the grocery store, but the smaller ones at the farmers market (or wild if you are lucky enough to have those in the area) are lots more flavorful, a little more on the tart side. In the spring I'm considering buying some blueberry shrubs to plant that supposedly have flavor like the wild ones....
    Plus, maybe look into making freezer jam with splenda or regular jam with no added sugar.
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    They are great in yogurt and cereal.

I LOVE them with french vanilla yogurt and cereal!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I wasn't into them either, but started buying them as they were going cheap and as they are supposed to be so good. Now I quite like them, just a handful thrown on my oatmeal in the morning. I think maybe an acquired taste?
  • cbanks72
    cbanks72 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    half cup of water
    1.5 tablespoons of sugar
    1 tablespoon corn starch
    dash of lemon juice
    dash of any spices you like (nutmeg, allspice...etc.)
    1 cup of blueberries

Bring all to a boil, cook down until thick. I use it as syrup on low fat waffles, could use on angel food cake or ice cream.
    very suprised how good it was, if I recall it made 3 servings at 150 calories.