Low Impact Strength Training & Cardio

Options
Need help :) I have heel spurs, tight calves, painful knees, cracking ankles, and a pulled achiles (spelling?) tendon! I'm addicted to high impact strenth training and cardio hence why I have these problems.... Doctor told me to stop working out for a while... Excuse me?! Couldn't even have suggested something else? I will not use a public pool, & not a huge fan of yoga... Any other ideas out there for me to try that will ease the lower leg pains? Any help is MUCH appreciated!! Oh, and my user ID is melstephvan if you wanna add me :)

Replies

• good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I had achilles tendonosis last year. Best advice I can give is do circuit course type weights at moderately fast pace between sets and definitely strech the calves and hamstrings.My doc said a lot of achille problems are from tight calves and weak calves.Unfortunately, rest is crucial.I didn't listen at first and ended up with surgery on achilles.Also, ice the hell out of achilles using an ice cube, not a cold pack.the ice cube is much more proficient, good luck.feel free to add as freind if you want to,
  • melstephvan
    melstephvan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ya, he said the calves are really tight, gave me stretches to do, orthodics, etc... Thanks for your input :)
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    A stationary bike or elliptical?
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    holding a wall, stand on a bosu and practice squats and balances.

start roller skating, (slowly and w/ ankles wrapped!)

start longboarding!

pilates? and other floor work?

dancing? salsa, waltz, or maybe some dance video workouts?
  • Sexynvoluptuous
    Options
    can you do any walking or is that too painful? focus on weight lifting possibly??
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Cathe Friedrich has a whole low impact series that are supposed to be high intensity but low impact. Not sure if this is your thing but might be something to look into.

http://shop.cathe.com/low_impact_exercise_dvds_s/90.htm
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Swimming - EDIT: Missed the issue with the pool, never mind
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    My ankle has been swollen for a few days and I haven't been able to run but I have been walking on an incline at about 5-7 at 3.5mph and working upper body cardio with 3 lbs weights while I walk. I has worked well and is a great burn. Sorry alternative to running for me but it is effective. My ankle has finally gone down and running is in the near future again. :)
  • melstephvan
    melstephvan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas :) I can walk, run, jump, etc... It just hurts later on - and in the morning as I get out of bed - Stretching seems to help best, but I never thought of taking my board out again! :) Seeing as how it's winter & full of ice here I'll have to wait to do any outside activites until spring - I've been skating & tobogganing, but the ice on the lakes isn't really safe right now, and the snow is melting - ARG! It's all good though! I'll try that video that is high intensity, low impact! Thanks again everyone!