Ladies can we talk about that time of the month...

Options
I have a quick question to all of you ladies out there. I am at the week before aunt flow visits and I feel bloated and irritable (not unusual or extreme). I tend to have a more negative self image around this time and it is discouraging as all get out. :grumble: I am normally pretty happy and confident about myself now that I am working on a change....

How do you know if the extra pounds are from bloat or from something else? Any tips on feeling better about your self image during this emotional time of the month? Any tips for exercising during your period?

To be blunt I feel fat grumpy and just plain down. Help?

Replies

• azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It has been my experience that it is from bloat. Especially if you have been following your calorie goals the same as the previous weeks. Increase water intake to help flush yourself out. I find that usually right around when I start (maybe a day or two later). I will need to hit the restroom a lot and then I go back to normal.
  • doubleloop23
    Options
    I NEVER weigh on my time of the month because I'm ALWAYS heavier... just weigh yourself when it's over- you may be pleasantly surprised... just keep up the exercise and eating well and I'm sure you'll be fine:flowerforyou:
  • HipsLipsMama
    Options
    I hear ya sister! For me, I just recognize those feelings for what they are and I know they will pass. Keep eating well, keep doing your normal exercise routine. I never WANT to exercise, but once I do I always feel better. Maybe try some yoga or other soothing exercise?

You are doing great and making so much progress! Recognize and acknowledge how you feel and decide to overcome!!!! :flowerforyou: feel better soon! :heart:
  • leg8
    leg8 Posts: 49
    Options
    I felt the same exact way this past month. I had put on pounds of water weight and felt puffy all over. It motivated me to just keep working out as usual and to eat well. If this happens a lot, you could try Diurex for water weight gain. Just keep going!!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    My obgyn told me that weight gain and bloating is normal during your menstrual cycle. YUK
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I get the same way!!! Just know that the average woman will gain 3 - 4 lbs while experiencing PMS and while on her cycle. So yes, most of the weight you gain will go away once your cycle end! There are OTC medication that you can take to help with the mood (pamprin or midol).

I find that working out is one of the best medicines for the PMS blues!!! I know you don't FEEL like going, but working out releases those "feel good" hormones in your body!!! I always try to do at least an extra half hour durring that time!!!

I sure hope this helped...
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    You're doing something great for your body and you have to remember that! Try to keep up with working out, even if you have to do a lighter workout, and drinking plenty of water. It's a rough time and unfortunately, it comes once a month (or once every three weeks if you're me)! Knowing that you're still taking care of your body and working towards your goals should help counter-act a little bit of that self-loathing that I know I generally feel. I feel horrible when I give into a craving - except when I'm eating it - but I feel great the next day if I know I beat the craving and I'm one day closer to my goals.

Just ignore the scale during "that time". In fact, it's probably better if we just weigh in bi-weekly or monthly because it doesn't matter what we lose week to week but it is the overall trend of our weight that matters. I think I've personally decided to go to bi-weekly weighing to see if I can kick the "it's weigh in day, I can cheat!" mentality. I give myself treats through out the week when I can afford them (calorie-wise) but I still seem to want to just eat without restrictions on weigh in day.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    If you are not eating over your maintenance calories, then it's just bloat, water weight. Remember, you can't gain actual weight unless you're eating way too much... so don't worry about the numbers on the scale that week.
  • CaGinger
    CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I think I am also nervous because I am meeting my boyfriend's brother for the first time today after work. I sometimes fear meeting new people for fear of judgement. Current weight 248. (up 2lbs :angry: )
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    I get the same way, in fact I am feeling that way this week. I actually find that taking some midol 12 hr and goin for a run make me feel lighter and less bloated. I agree with the members that do not weigh during TOM because I am always heavier too! Docs say that working out will make you feel better and is like the best thing to do for cramps too!
  • squib
    squib Posts: 34
    Options
    I also don't like these feelings. Sometimes I even feel that my craving become sooo... well lets just say it becomes completely impossible to resist :laugh:
  • CaGinger
    CaGinger Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am doing good on the cravings but the emotional side is a bit worse then usual this week. God knows why. :grumble:
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    I had been dieting and exercising religiously and noticed that my scale numbers were doing nothing. Absolutely nothing. Then they started inching up. I had been without my monthy visit for a while, so I forgot completely about it and started getting really confused and increasingly irritated about it. Then today, I realized what was going on and was so relieved. I don't feel like working out or doing anything. Can anyone think of a way besides Pamprin or Midol to combat it? I mean, I have been working out and haven't given up, but even with the exercise I don't feel any better at all.

Ugh.

I hate having ovaries.:grumble: