Yet another C35k question

Options
I should say C25k. I started doing the treadmil addition today. The program says to jog slow to start out. For those that have done this program successfully, How slow is slow? What MPH did you start out walking? Running? I don't want to sabotage myself.

Thanks
Kathy

Replies

• lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I chose a walking rate and "running" rate that I thought I could maintain throughout the program. I do 3.0 mph walking, and 4.0 running. 30 seconds of 4.0 mph does seem low, but when I increased to 10 minutes straight in week 6, I am very happy it is 4.0 mph. I did not want to run for small amounts of time at a quicker pace just to have to reduce that pace when I increased my running time. Once I complete the program at 4.0, I can work at increasing my speed and getting a better time.
  • kathleen2001
    Options
    I chose a walking rate and "running" rate that I thought I could maintain throughout the program. I do 3.0 mph walking, and 4.0 running. 30 seconds of 4.0 mph does seem low, but when I increased to 10 minutes straight in week 6, I am very happy it is 4.0 mph. I did not want to run for small amounts of time at a quicker pace just to have to reduce that pace when I increased my running time. Once I complete the program at 4.0, I can work at increasing my speed and getting a better time.

Thanks, that make sense. And that is about what I am doing. I go 3.4 for walking and 4.3 for running. I wanted to make sure I was doing it right!
  • chaundell
    Options
    I've been doing C25k for a few months I'm currrently at week 5 day 1. There seems to be different versions of the app and when I updated it the name changed to Ease into 5K. I haven't saw an option to set my speed but I have been walking at 3.5 and running between 5.0 and 5.5. Now that the run time has increased I have reduced the speed so I can get through it.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    The first time I did it, I was jogging at 4.5 mph and walking at 3.5 mph. This last time I did it, I was jogging at 5 mph and walking at 3.9 mph.
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I've been doing C25k for a few months I'm currrently at week 5 day 1. There seems to be different versions of the app and when I updated it the name changed to Ease into 5K. I haven't saw an option to set my speed but I have been walking at 3.5 and running between 5.0 and 5.5. Now that the run time has increased I have reduced the speed so I can get through it.

Have you lost any weight doing this program?
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    The first time I did it, I was jogging at 4.5 mph and walking at 3.5 mph. This last time I did it, I was jogging at 5 mph and walking at 3.9 mph.

Did you lose any weight with this?
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I jog at 4.5 and walk at 3.3 mph. I'm on week 5 day 3 today and so far I have not had to slow down my jogs. I was doing very little activity before I started C25k and have some knee issues. So far, this pace has worked with minmal Aleve necessary.
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I started on Tuesday and I was walking at 3.3 and runing between 4.0 and 4.2
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    @ojell...whether you lose weight with C25k or any other exercise program depends more on how well you are eating while on the program because over 80% of weight loss/gain is based on what you eat and drink. C25k and other exercise programs can assist you in weight loss, cardio health, and other important areas...but only if you have the nutrition correct.
  • jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    4-5 MPH is a good start, if you keep up with it you will be able to dramaticaly increse your speed. 18 months after I started I can do the 3.1 miles at 8.5 MPH.
  • tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I walk at 4.0 and run at 6.0, but I'm a runner recovering from an injury, so I know how fast I can handle. Running at 4.something is a great place to start, especially as you're increasing distance.
  • sangelic
    sangelic Posts: 207
    Options
    The beauty of the program is that you can go at the speed that is comfortable for you, it's not a race. The first time I did the program I was walking at 3.5 and running between 4.3-4.5. This time around I walk between 3.8-4.0 and run between 4.8-5.0. I also tend to bump the speed up for the last minute of the run as I like to try to finish the interval strong.
  • JHB2011
    JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I walk at 3.7mph and run at 7mph.
    I used to be a runner and lost it in college when I got lazy and had no time to work out so I'm not only getting my resistance back to running distance, but trying to get my speed back. I wouldn't suggest running at 7mph if you weren't previously a runner.
  • flibberdajibbitt
    flibberdajibbitt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I walk at 3.5, I started running at 4, but now after 4 weeks I've increased my running speed to 5. (I just doubled up on one of the weeks during the increase)
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 and i walk at 3.5 and run at 5.. seems to be working for me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I can still walk easily at 4.5, so I started walking at 3.5 and running at 5.0. By the end, I was running at 5.5. I finished my first race at an average of 5.8 with a few intervals of walking, so I knew I could push faster than I was on the treadmill, and by my next race, I averaged 6.2mph without walking.
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My first time I walked at 3.5 and jogged at 4.5. When I tried to go faster I ended up with a lot of knee and hip pain. By the end of it I was jogging at 4.8 and ran my first 5k with an avg speed of 5.5! Right now I am doing a 2nd round and my focus was to increase my speed so I am walking at 4.0 and running at 6.0. I am on week 5 and I am def getting nervous about being able to keep up with the 6.0 speed but so far so good!
  • jedinight32
    Options
    I am currently starting week 8 of c25k. I started out walking at 3.0 mph and running at 4.0 mph (if I went any faster my little legs would tire out lol). As I got to week 6 I started feeling like 4.0 mph was feeling a little slow so I played with the speed and eventually got to 4.5 mph. Now I feel comfortable running at 4.5 mph and I can run for 25 mins without walking. I also increased my brisk walk warmup to 3.2 mph and my cool down walk to between 3.4 and 3.2 depending on how tired I am. I love this program. I have never been able to run at a steady pace and this really helped me. I am planning on running a 5k at the end of June so I plan to continue using this to train for it. Good luck to you!
  • cds2001
    cds2001 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Per the c25k website for treadmill version:

" I am often asked how fast you should run and walk on the treadmill. The answer is that you should run as slowly as possible. In fact, if you can run more slowly, you are probably running too fast. Speed will come over time (after you have finished the program). With the walking, just walk at a nice brisk pace."
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I walk at 3.5mph and jog at 5.0mph