Feeling sluggish after a day of low cal?

Options
Yesterday I stayed below my 1200 calories, I also worked out in the morning and the evening, I didn't eat back my calories either. This morning is slow and sluggish. Could that be from having such low calories yesterday or am I just having an off day?

Replies

• michellelay
    Options
    Eating below 1200 calories, in my experience, is not good for weight loss. My body will not lose any weight if I eat below this amount.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I stayed below my 1200 calories, I also worked out in the morning and the evening, I didn't eat back my calories either. This morning is slow and sluggish. Could that be from having such low calories yesterday or am I just having an off day?

an off day.
    its all mental anyway. as much as the general population here wont believe it, even if you didnt eat anything yesterday, when you wake up the next morning your energy levels wouldnt change... in fact, after 16 hours of not eating, your metabolism will have a slight increase.
  • Smithvalerie
    Smithvalerie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was feeling that way too. I started taking a multi-vitamn and that fixed that problem. Maybe you should consider the same.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Id follow your carbs close, I've carb cycled for a while and you can definitley notice the difference from a low carb day to a normal day especially if you work out hard on your low carb days, just something to keep in mind
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    The average woman or man of 5'3" and above will have a BMR of 1400+.
    Whats your BMR?
    Chances are if you get out of bed for any reason you arent eating enough to lose any proper weight.
    Up calories to 1600 so you can still lose weight but maintain proper lean mass.
    If you need solid numbers that work PM me please.
    I can help you.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    My BMR is 1346 but I'm also hypo thyroid, so I have to take that into consideration when I'm eating.

Yesterday was a very low carb day, only the second I've had since I started this 10 days ago.

I take a ton of high quality supplements, so I don't think that's the issue.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I need to eat my calories back with good carbs and protien on workout days or I feel the same way. Try adding small snacks of veggies and hummus or fruit and nuts as a quick snack on the days you work out.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1346 but I'm also hypo thyroid, so I have to take that into consideration when I'm eating.

Yesterday was a very low carb day, only the second I've had since I started this 10 days ago.

You are not planning to be on low carb for several days. Are you?
    If you are working out, eat some of your calories back as quality protein and complex carbs and good fats. Might be a good idea to eat before workout as you need glycogen in your system to work out with energy!
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    I didn't intend for it to be a low carb day, I guess I just made some bad choices yesterday! I had a lot of protein and veggies and hardly any carbs.
  • Aphreal
    Aphreal Posts: 103
    Options
    an off day.
    its all mental anyway. as much as the general population here wont believe it, even if you didnt eat anything yesterday, when you wake up the next morning your energy levels wouldnt change... in fact, after 16 hours of not eating, your metabolism will have a slight increase.

I can't even begin to express how much I disagree with this statement. You are physically effected by lack of nutrition even in one day. especially in your blood sugars.
  • Aphreal
    Aphreal Posts: 103
    Options

Having thyroid issues you seriously need to be sure you eat enough. I have had a couple of days where I did not eat enough and my sugars plummeted to 56. For me that is dangerously low and I began to shake and feel faint. I didn't do it on purpose, we are so busy but please be careful sweets!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options

I am hypothyroid too. When the doctor measure my BMR, it always seems to come out higher than most calculators... You need to make sure you get that checked if the sluggishness doesn't go away. When you change how you eat, or when you add exercise, it changes how your body metabolizes your thyroid med.
    Lower carbs, higher protein is frequently a healthier choice for people suffering with hypothyroidism. So I have read at least. I have the hypothyroid diet book, and it says to focus on getting plenty of protein and good fats, and only have high quality carb sources like whole grains, fruits and vegetables.

I'm having an off day myself. But mine's more from lack of sleep!
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options
    I didn't intend for it to be a low carb day, I guess I just made some bad choices yesterday! I had a lot of protein and veggies and hardly any carbs.

Adventitiously, this is good. Unknowingly you are doing carb cycling which helps to reduce weight faster. Normally, a good practice is to keep carb content low on non workout days (or preceding day) and higher on workout days (or preceding day). But you should be careful(consult doctor) before embarking on carb cycling.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    an off day.

I can't even begin to express how much I disagree with this statement. You are physically effected by lack of nutrition even in one day. especially in your blood sugars.

first off.. one day of lower calories, or even zero calories is NOT a "lack of nutrition".
    Second, by controlling your eating and forcing your body to compensate over time, you will have greater control of your blood sugar. This is shown in every mid to long term Intermittent Fasting performed.. both in animals and people.

so...
    physically effected? yes.
    short term negatively effected? maybe.
    long term negatively effected? no.

do NOT take this as an excuse to not eat, or as malnutrition.. but no, the OPs mental thought of "I didnt eat enough yesterday, so I am in a poor mood today" is not true.
    this is a short read you might want to take a look at before you reply: http://uranus.ckt.net/~gochiefs/Eat Stop Eat.pdf
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Uh - yes.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think you eat enough if you eat below 1600 daily and are moderately active.
    Up calories.
    workout to create deficit.
    eat below tdee. To lose weight.
    eat at or below bmr to lose fat and lean mass and be miserable.
    its easy really!