Desk Jobs suck :)

Options
I work behind a desk all day long & everytime I come into work I dread the day because I know I'm gonna sit at my desk and be glued to the computer screen for 8 hours! I feel like a slug all the time.. I seriously watch the clock for the first 4 hours because I go to the gym on my lunch break its my escape from reality.

Does anyone else go throught this?

Replies

• SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    That is what MFP is for!!
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job, but I'm a loan officer so I get to also see other people on a daily basis and do things other than just look at my computer all day. But I do feel your pain. Some days are so borning and I hate just sitting here all day doing nothing!
  • hels4397
    hels4397 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I went from working in a school to working behind a desk. I love my job, when there's stuff to do. The rest of the time I make myself look busy, but in reality am dying to do something productive. I feel the shift has made it harder to work out at night for me, since I'm sitting all day. It also makes it harder to go lift during lunch because I get lazy :P Maybe once the weather is nicer I'll have more ambition to go outside.

My big accomplishment so far - ordering lunch. Yep. That's it.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job for an hour of ten hours a day, plus use the laptop in my free time. Unlike you, though, I like it.

It's a love/hate relationship I guess. I adore just being able to sit and type, but I know it's probably killing me. I do want one of those treadmill desks just to ease the conscience. :tongue:
  • ML0305
    ML0305 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes same here. My day starts at 06:50am and ends at 04:15pm...I sit all day at my desk...I try to get up every once in awhile! I like my job as a Sr. Administrative Assistant but dislike that I'm a slave to my desk :(
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    You bet I do. I get a paycheck which pays the bills. Does this job make me happy? NO Is this what I want to do with my life? NO

I know what you mean about the day never ending and time just dragging. Right now, I do what I have to and look to the future. Fortunately and unfortunately, the place I work has great benefits and wonderful retirement so everyone assumes I will stay here until I retire and be set for life. The thought of that kills me. I have dreams and can't give up on those.

Thank goodness for MFP it helps pass the time. :)
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    That is what MFP is for!!

Exactly. This is what I do all day.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    YES! I have a desk job, and yes, it SUCKS most of the time. I find myself wandering around the bank every-once-in-a-while just to move! I will walk up and down the stairs sometimes, and I live too far away to go home on my lunch break, so I will do some kind of exercise on lunch!
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I had desk jobs for the majority of my working life and LOVED it!
    Nearly always had quite responsible jobs which I adored...yes ..adored!
    Half the problem is getting the job that really suits you so that you are pleased to feel you are making a difference. Unfortunately these days there isn't much opportunity for doing that, is there?
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Yip, i am also stuck behind a desk 9-5, my lunch break i get the kids from school and take them home, the job itself is good, but sometimes get so fed up of being in front of the PC, last night was working till 8.15 to get a drawing finished, then by the time feed kids, homework, and take them to any of their activities its so hard to fit in exercise or be bothered, then packed lunches, washing etc.. each night.
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I also work a desk job and I get 20 minutes for lunch. I do get to walk around for a bit with my blue tooth head set but answering the front doo0r from the back of the warehouse gets tricky.
  • jbahrami
    jbahrami Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I actually like my job, but like you, I hate sitting at a desk all day. I try to get up every hour and take the stairs to the 1st floor and back up (I'm on the 3rd floor) two times. This little break helps to get my blood flowing again, as well as giving my eyes and mind a break from the computer screen!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Yep, desk job. Tax Accountant.... Bored because the stuff (1099's, Schedule K-1's) for me to do my job hasn't arrived yet. When it does, my life will be over. Right now I too watch the clock till lunch, hit the work's gym, then watch the clock till 5..... I feel so unproductive, but I'm on my 4th big glass of water already. :-)
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Yes in fact I am sitting at my desk right now. I do try to get up and walk around every now and then, but I do think it is why I become so tired so easily its from boredom. I think I will go run up and down the stairs :happy:
  • bluebutterflyzz
    bluebutterflyzz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I'm a legal assistant. I'm not really glued to my desk but my job is SO boring. If my attys aren't asking me to do anything, the day drags so bad. Although I can use MFP here it blocks everyone's profile picture so it's pretty annoying. Sometimes I tend to eat when I'm bored which as some of you may know SUCKS! But, it's a pay check so...I'm grateful.

I'd love to go to the gym during lunch but I feel too rushed. I'd have to take a shower and stuff so I'm anxious that I won't get back in an hour (which is what I'm allowed to take). Also, running is what I usually do at the gym and it makes my face EXTREMELY red. I hate getting those weird confused stares when I have come back from the gym during work hours LOL
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I run twelve flights of stairs and walk laps around my building every hour or two. It really helps break up the monotony of having a desk job and a nine hour workday. Plus, I get an extra 25-30 minutes of workout into each day. :-)

(yes... people think I am strange, but I don't care)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've worked a desk job for 30 years. It does suck from a health and fitness standpoint, but from a financial and intellectual standpoint mine is awesome. I like my job and learn new stuff all the time.
  • Poetic_
    Poetic_ Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I like mine, I get to listen to music all day and work. Don't have to deal with people. Call center jobs do indeed suck though.
  • Tosha_Lynn
    Options
    I went from working in a school to working behind a desk. I love my job, when there's stuff to do. The rest of the time I make myself look busy, but in reality am dying to do something productive. I feel the shift has made it harder to work out at night for me, since I'm sitting all day. It also makes it harder to go lift during lunch because I get lazy :P Maybe once the weather is nicer I'll have more ambition to go outside.

My big accomplishment so far - ordering lunch. Yep. That's it.

Yea I find it very hard to workout after being at work all day.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. :( but i think MFP is open on my computer about 92% of the time. HAHA