Desk Jobs suck :)

Options

Replies

• SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Desk jobs do suck. The best jobs are blow..oh nevermind.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    yep, my coworker and i go walk or to the gym on our lunch. The morning normally goes pretty fast for me, catching up with work or MFPing.. The afternoon is where it drags because i want to get home, eat, let my food digest and work out again.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I worked in a very active Pharmacy for nearly 4 years. As lead technician and pharmacy manager, my day was very very very stressful. I recently switched jobs to an office manager position with substantially less stress. However, now I work at a PC all day. Some days, I'm so busy time flies. Most days there are at least a few hours that I need to "look" busy. It was such a change from actually running around all day trying to get 3 days worth of work done is 2 hours at the pharmacy to office position at a desk. I love the reduced stress here and I get so much more respect, but I have gained 15 pounds in the few short months that I've been here. It definately makes me watch my food much more closely. That's why I'm so happy to have MPF. It really helps to keep my new lifestyle in check. :flowerforyou:
  • Milletp
    Options
    Join the cubicle jockey group :-)
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Am completely feeling this today! I've been at the same desk job for 12 years...and it's getting to the point where I dread coming in each morning! I'd love to find my dream job and LOVE coming into work again!
  • Utgrad0506
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as most of you.. i drive an hour to work everyday to sit behind a desk and do almost nothing. it pays the bills for right now and my boss is great, but i am literally here by myself most of the time so no one to even talk to! I actually started my own business recently and my goal is to be in a place where i can quit this desk job and work that full time! I love MY business - i mean, who doesn't love skincare!!!! I recently became a recruiter for Rodan + Fields Dermatologists, the creators of Proactiv Solutions, their new company. It has actually helped with my boredom at my desk job as well - since i am able to work on that while I'm here too. I truly feel that its the only thing that will help me get out from behind this desk and enjoying my life!! I encourage you all to follow your dreams, use your position right now if you are not satisfied as a bridge to something greater! I basically changed my mindset a few months ago and its really helped! This desk job is just right now, Rodan + Fields is my future! I'll post my website if any of you would like to check it out. I'm not posting on here only for my business, I can totally relate to the majority of you and wanted to share what my way is to help the situation... and who knows! you guys may love what you see too! my website is newskinnewyou.myrandf.biz
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    That is what MFP is for!!

It's how I get through my day!
  • AmberLee2012
    Options
    Same here!
    I feel your pain. I'm a legal assistant. I'm not really glued to my desk but my job is SO boring. If my attys aren't asking me to do anything, the day drags so bad. Although I can use MFP here it blocks everyone's profile picture so it's pretty annoying. Sometimes I tend to eat when I'm bored which as some of you may know SUCKS! But, it's a pay check so...I'm grateful.
  • h0m36r0wn
    Options
    I work from home four days a week and still can't seem to spend less than 10+ hours a day behind a desk - it is a prison!! No gym's near me -I'm rural... but I try to go for a walk or bike ride early in the morning. Can't wait until late March when I'll be able to resume regular lunchtime trail rides.
  • minnie84
    minnie84 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I work behind a desk all day long & everytime I come into work I dread the day because I know I'm gonna sit at my desk and be glued to the computer screen for 8 hours! I feel like a slug all the time.. I seriously watch the clock for the first 4 hours because I go to the gym on my lunch break its my escape from reality.

Does anyone else go throught this?

i know that feeling do 39 hrs a week then overtime on top i was 8stone 4lbs when i started here that was 7.6 yrs ago xx
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    You bet I do. I get a paycheck which pays the bills. Does this job make me happy? NO Is this what I want to do with my life? NO

I know what you mean about the day never ending and time just dragging. Right now, I do what I have to and look to the future. Fortunately and unfortunately, the place I work has great benefits and wonderful retirement so everyone assumes I will stay here until I retire and be set for life. The thought of that kills me. I have dreams and can't give up on those.

Thank goodness for MFP it helps pass the time. :)

Yep I agree...this is not what I was meant to do, but I can't beat the wages, benefits, paid vacations, flex days, sick days and it's not like it's stressful work. Just boring as hell. Until I find what I'm meant to do in this life, I will work at my desk.
  • mae1020
    mae1020 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have a deskjob as well and work 4 10hrs days so I can have a 3 day weekend. Having to sit in front of a monitor every day makes me feel lazier and more hungry. After work I almost always go to the gym. Today is my Friday!!!!
  • erikastarryiz
    erikastarryiz Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I'm so glad I found it! it is already helping me use my spare time staying motivated instead of mindlessly eating:smile:
  • pattybond1234
    pattybond1234 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have worked at a desk/computer job for the last 27 years. I love it because it's what I've always wanted to do. I tell people all the time that working behind a desk, sitting all day is harder than most think and has its own set of pains just as someone who is walking and/or moving all day. I have always believed in the making the best of any situation. Currently, our admin dept is down 2 people so I am doing the work of 3 with no hope of any help anytime soon. Needless to say, there's more than enough to keep me busy. To make it easier to sit here, I play my radio all day and have little knick-knacks and personal items sitting around that I like to look at. I change out the wallpaper on my computer screen at least once a week to have something different to look at. And, I get up from desk alot, walk around the office, get a glass of water, etc. And, I am working towards an Accounting degree which gives me something in my future to look forward to.
  • Tosha_Lynn
    Options
    I do Criminal Research and I love my job and the pay just wish I didnt have to sit at my desk all day!!!!
  • Tosha_Lynn
    Options

I'm so glad I found it! it is already helping me use my spare time staying motivated instead of mindlessly eating:smile:

I added you as a friend I hope you dont mind :)
  • jedibunny
    Options
    Desk job here... and no way around it, this is what I do. I'm a data manager. I... manage data! Which means computer work. Which means a desk (even though I have a laptop - I'm connected to a dock at the office). Unfortunately there's really no way for me to get a "treadmill desk" or any sort of exercise aside from the occasional leg-flexing. I can get up and walk for a few minutes here and there, but that's about it.

Thing is, I love computers. I build them for fun, lol. Some days, though, I really wish I could spend my days NOT staring at a screen and do something "real" -- even though I know the job I have is extremely influential in my company/field. I game, I build PCs, I troubleshoot, all for *fun*... should I be working in something more physical??
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love my desk job. I am not crazy busy, but when I was interviewed for the job I was told I wouldn't be, so find things for yourself to do. Whether that be cleaning my desk, going online to look up something personal or whatever. I do dislike that I sit all day. So sometimes to change it up, I move my chair away and stand for twenty minutes. I try to do this when it's paper work I'm dealing with and not my computer (keyboard is too low to be standing to type). My lunch is always at my desk because I am the only here to answer the phones. I wish I could go for a walk at lunch sometimes though.
  • Tosha_Lynn
    Options
    Am completely feeling this today! I've been at the same desk job for 12 years...and it's getting to the point where I dread coming in each morning! I'd love to find my dream job and LOVE coming into work again!

I haven't even worked at this job for 2 years yet! I can't imagine being here for 12 years!!!! I dont know how you did it but you are a trooper!
  • jedibunny
    Options
    Forgot to mention I teach online, too, lol! No escaping the computer for me...