Black Tomatoes?!!?

Options
I saw these (Black tomatoes) at the grocery store the other day. I have never seen/heard of black tomatoes before. Just curious if anyone has actually tried these? If so, how do the compare to "regular" vine tomatoes?

Replies

• savdbygrac
    Options
    Interesting! I'm curious too!
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    They have a really rich flavor, absolutely delicious. My gardening mentor gave me some of her seeds a few years ago and I've been growing them ever since. Heirloom tomatoes are the best!
  • roadtripper8
    Options
    I grew them last year. They look disgusting (kind of like a blood clot. Not to be gross.. but it is true) but they have a very rich, complex flavor. Definitely earned a spot back in this year's garden.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I didn't even know they existed until one of my few visits at Whole Foods market. I grabbed the tomato, looked it all over, then turned to the guy stocking the fruits and said, 'I think this went bad.'. He hadn't put out the rest just yet, so there was only that single tomato sitting out. Needless to say, he chuckled a little bit, told me what it was, then asked if I wanted to eat the one that I was holding. (I didn't know they were even allowed to do that---I thought it was a setup to get me to buy it).

It was sweet... but really tasty!
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different colored tomatoes, and many varietys of each, usually the "black" ones are actually called purple. I love most black tomatoes, Black Krim being a favorite; They have a rich, smokey flavor.

I prefer a more acidic tomatoe than sweet. If you can get ahold of a Black Krim, or Paul Robeson those are both quite tasty. Carbon has one some taste awards, but I had trouble growing it when the summer was too cool.

Did you know there are also totally WHITE tomatoes?
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    ive never seen a black tomato, but that sounds very interesting. I have had brown tomatoes before (Kumato Tomatoes) and i really like those...they have a very full flavor to them.